Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard to fuel my Wooldridge

I am curious also, I have a 20' sport jet and have to jack the trailer up and fuel with cans slowly
    . when I go to the pumps it only takes about a gallon or two before shutting off

I pulled the fuel cell on my 20' Sport IB and welded a 3/4" thread-O-let on the top/front. Ran vent line back along the cell and tied in to the rear vent. Plumbed it so the vent lines self draining.
    It gobbles up the fuel while filling no matter where, and I only get some splash back when its pretty much full.
    Ideally, I would have used a larger NPT thread-O-let, but 3/4" was all there was in town. A larger ID vet line would be better, but, this works, so......
    Fighting gravity is never cheap.

AKaviator looking forward to your call or message.

One answer does not fit every year or model.

A few years ago the EPA mandated changes, they now require expansion room so expanding fuel will not run out the vent. Fuel in the ground at the station is approximately 55*, if you top off your tank with 55* fuel and it is a hot day or you put it in a boat in a heated garage the fuel in the tank has no room to expand when the fuel warms up(The EPA figures about 7%). Now tanks are engineered with 7 to 10 percent additional room. A tank that measures 100 gallons would have vents that click the pump at about 92 gallons. The brochure would say it has a 92-gallon tank.

Before the new regulations and hardware, some of the problems were usually from the boat not being level. If the fill was in the rear and the bow was high the fuel would cover the fill inlet before the tank was full and try to compress the air that is now trapped in the tank, which may cause it to spit back. Accordantly if the fill was in the front and bow is low, same problem.
    This is an example and does not cover every situation. With that said anyone that has a question I would be glad to talk with you if you call. If I am not available when you call, please leave your name, number, and best time to call you.

Thank you,
    Glen Wooldridge

If it's a new build EPA required special do-dad on the vent line that prevents fuel from leaking out, only fumes. The fumes during filling can't exit fast enough so it burps fuel out the fill location. The only solution I've seen some owners do is remove the do-dad and go back to the old school loop in the vent line. From what they've told me this solved the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank the Lord for the EPA to help us out. Even in my SeaSport, instead of the fuel starting to drip out the vent, mine now burps too out the fill, usually spilling a cup full everywhere. Even keeping an absorbent pad around the nozzle can't contain it.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Not a solution but an early warning indicator, install a fuel whistle on the vent line.
    It whistles as your filling the tank as the escaping air passes through it.
    It screams as you get close to full and stops making noise once fluid starts to enter it.
    Installed one on the airboat, love it!
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Where did you get that Brian? Hard to install?
    Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Not a solution but an early warning indicator, install a fuel whistle on the vent line.
    It whistles as your filling the tank as the escaping air passes through it.
    It screams as you get close to full and stops making noise once fluid starts to enter it.
    Installed one on the airboat, love it!
    Bk
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    ROLL TIDE
    28' Raider Offshore w/Twin Suzuki 200's
    MMSI# 338231009

They were handing them out at the sportsman show a few years ago. Keep our harbors clean booth or some agency was giving them to boaters.
    Cut vent line in half, insert in-line plastic whistle piece and add two clamps, done.I
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

I have 2 fuel tanks and put the whistling things on them a couple years ago, like Brian. One works really great the other only part time. Can't figure it out, they are side by side, easy fix just replace. When they work I really like them. They mount vertically.

Glenn advised that I raise the bow more when filling to allow the vent to breath. Iíve been flying and hunting lately and havenít fueled the boat in awhile but Iíll report back when I do. Mine is pre EPA do dad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12