Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use enough grinder

Default Use enough grinder

I'm in the market for a spendy meat grinder. I am trying to decide if 1 hp will chew through a moose shank without issue or if I need to upgrade to 1 1/2 or even bigger . Any thoughts from the folks who have been there?

Dave

Cabelas 1hp does it all, no issues.
    It's quick and accepts large pieces.
    I don't see a need for bigger.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Cabelas 1hp does it all, no issues.
    It's quick and accepts large pieces.
    I don't see a need for bigger.
    Bk
    Do u have to have meat partially frozen? My buddies sucked! Very poor design- mostly due to poor auger area design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not necessarily, but it works with fridge chilled meat equally well I would say.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

About 15-20 years ago I bought a 650 Watt meat Grinder from Northern Hydraulics and it does it all. I've not tried grinding bone, but have found that some meats just do better if you first do a rough grind and then a more fine grind the second time through.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Go to Alaska Butcher Supply and talk to the folks there, youll get a commercial quality machine for about the same price. Plus if something does break they will have the parts. I've rented their thunderbird grinder several times and im pretty sure you could put a whole moose through it in a few minutes

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Do u have to have meat partially frozen? My buddies sucked! Very poor design- mostly due to poor auger area design.

The warmer the meat, the stringier it gets and the machine starts too pull the meat apart instead of grinding it.
    Makes cleaning up a real pain..
    Very cold or right on the verge of freezing is just about perfect.
    1hp grinders can eat through that all day.

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    Go to Alaska Butcher Supply and talk to the folks there, youll get a commercial quality machine for about the same price. Plus if something does break they will have the parts. I've rented their thunderbird grinder several times and im pretty sure you could put a whole moose through it in a few minutes
    ^^^this right here. Great people to work with, great products, and warranty their stuff.

I would agree, Alaska Butcher Supply are great. I bought the Cabela's 1 3/4 horse grinder, it was on sale, only $100 more than the 1 hp. Some of the smaller grinders have plastic auger spline and parts that can break or strip. I made sure the 1 3/4 was all metal internals. Between mine and friends harvest its probably been in on 20+ animals. So shop around and buy the best one that fits your budget.

I've had zero issues with my Cabelas 3/4hp grinder and it had all metal internal parts. Doesn't look like they deal in the one I have anymore, though. Never had to freeze my meat either.. goes through fresh, stringy, junk meat like butter.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Meat should always be chilled as grinding warm, fresh meat just doesn't work well in any grinder.

Buy extra cutter blades when you buy the grinder.

I never use the fine plate in my grinder as it leaves me with too much red goo. I run all burger through the
    coarse plate and if I wish for it to be a finer grind, I run it through the coarse a second time but for most use,
    one time through the coarse works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    Meat should always be chilled as grinding warm, fresh meat just doesn't work well in any grinder.

Buy extra cutter blades when you buy the grinder.

I never use the fine plate in my grinder as it leaves me with too much red goo. I run all burger through the
    coarse plate and if I wish for it to be a finer grind, I run it through the coarse a second time but for most use,
    one time through the coarse works for me.
    That only happens with cabelas models from what I’ve seen. Took forever grinding anything. Stuffing sausages was ridiculous. All metal internals. Problem is the rifling in neck is close to the same as the auger- not good. Professional models have tiny 1/2” grooves in the neck, not 2”. Meat just hangs up n spins w auger. Yes in a butcher we had a course grinder that pumped into the regular hopper. W that one we would then use 3/16 for sausage or 1/8” for burger. W buddies I used the 3/8” plate for burger as I often make fajitas. It’s was still mushed up. Shoulda been 3/8” balls........ still don’t own a grinder personally.

I am selling my 1 3/4 horse Cabelas Carnivore grinder if anyone is interested. Its an awesome grinder but I don't need this large of a grinder anymore. PM me if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I've had zero issues with my Cabelas 3/4hp grinder and it had all metal internal parts. Doesn't look like they deal in the one I have anymore, though. Never had to freeze my meat either.. goes through fresh, stringy, junk meat like butter.
    That's the one I have too. Works great.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

I'll second the Northern Hydraulics grinder. Ours works wonderfully. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by peaceman View Post
    I am selling my 1 3/4 horse Cabelas Carnivore grinder if anyone is interested. Its an awesome grinder but I don't need this large of a grinder anymore. PM me if interested.
    I posted this on craigslist and it sold.

Thanks everybody! I posted then got a chance to hit the woods and have been out of contact.

My previous experience was with a smaller Cabela’s grinder.It was a real mess. Looks like everyone has a different slant as always. Thecurrent Carnivore models at Cabela’s seem to have solved a lot of the flaws ofearlier models. Also, the consensus answerto my basic question seems to be that 1 hp will be enough to take on a moose shank.

Any other input?

Ive had no issues with my 3/4 hp Cabelas grinder. 1 hp should be plenty. unless of course you want a wood chipper......

One of the reasons I'm getting the grinder is to make sausage. Is there and advantage or disadvantage to a larger grinder?

Thanks,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast