Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Use enough grinder

I'm on my second generic $100 grinder. First one lasted roughly 10 years from Costco. Bought the same one 2 years ago off amazon. Some grinders (like mine) have plastic gears that break when meat is frozen. Even when you think it's mostly thawed. Then you get to buy a new one. It is definitely a slow operation and meat needs to be cut into chunks before running through. Make sure internal parts are metal if you are going to buy a spendy one.

Thanks, any sausage makers out there to comment on if you can go too big for sausage?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    Thanks, any sausage makers out there to comment on if you can go too big for sausage?

Having made a bunch of sausage with a 2 HP grinder, I can see no downside, it works excellent and goes very quickly.

I have a older Biro 822 (1 hp)grinder that I use for everything. Very heavy and unstoppable. Doesn't even grunt when you try to overload it.
    A booger to clean but they are all same I think. I believe it is important that any suet be a least partially frozen. Suet grinds up finer and disperses better if it is partially frozen. Some grinders have issues with suet, I don't but I prefer my suet to be finer in the burger.
    I can see no downside to a larger grinder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12