Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Use enough grinder

I'm on my second generic $100 grinder. First one lasted roughly 10 years from Costco. Bought the same one 2 years ago off amazon. Some grinders (like mine) have plastic gears that break when meat is frozen. Even when you think it's mostly thawed. Then you get to buy a new one. It is definitely a slow operation and meat needs to be cut into chunks before running through. Make sure internal parts are metal if you are going to buy a spendy one.

Thanks, any sausage makers out there to comment on if you can go too big for sausage?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    Thanks, any sausage makers out there to comment on if you can go too big for sausage?

Having made a bunch of sausage with a 2 HP grinder, I can see no downside, it works excellent and goes very quickly.

I have a older Biro 822 (1 hp)grinder that I use for everything. Very heavy and unstoppable. Doesn't even grunt when you try to overload it.
    A booger to clean but they are all same I think. I believe it is important that any suet be a least partially frozen. Suet grinds up finer and disperses better if it is partially frozen. Some grinders have issues with suet, I don't but I prefer my suet to be finer in the burger.
    I can see no downside to a larger grinder

I would get a minimum of a 3/4 hp grinder.

I've had up to a 5 hp... and the answer is time, not quality.

bigger is faster.

bigger can handle bigger pieces of meat...

bigger is heavier, but easier to clean

Chris

I use a $35 dollar hand crank grinder that I removed the handle from and modified the bolt. Then i hooked up my corded drill to it and made myself a rather inexpensive multispeed grinder. It is quite fast. Last year grinding moose my hopper stuffer couldn't keep up with the grinding. All he had to do was grab pieces from one bowl and put them into the hopper.

Years ago we had access to a Hobart three horse grinder that had three speeds. Yes it was heavy, but it would go through the meat. That one went away but now we have a little 1/3 horse grinder from the middle 1950's era. It is not very fast but it will grind some meat. Since we process our meat, time is not something that we worry too much about.
    Would we like to have a better more modern grinder, yes, but for now this one works just fine.

Thanks for the input everybody. The analogy is that I could probably use my 30-06 for everything, but where is the fun in that? Sometimes it has paid to go big. I'm trying to figure if this is one of them.

I wanted a 3/4hp LEM but ended up with a 1hp LEM because they were out of the 3/4 at that time and I was partway through a moose. I am super happy with my 1hp. Works great and is fast enough for me. I have a 15 pound stuffer this year to try out - can't wait to catch some meat to push thru it!

Cabelas 1hp does the trick for me. If I don't cut most of the silver skin out, I'll stop once or twice and pull it out of the auger/blade area just to take care of the machine.

I ground shanks for a long time. Then I found out they're delicious if you cook them right. This is the only recipe I've used, mainly because it's awesome: https://honest-food.net/braised-veni...recipe-garlic/.

I got the sawzall out yesterday to cut this year's shanks into crockpot size pieces. One is in the fridge for dinner this week. There's a cool garlic peeling trick in that link, too.

Thanks. That sounds like a great option..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12