Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This is how I shrimp. Help and Hints

Akgriz.
    Great question!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by akgriz View Post
    New to shrimping, but had a modicum of success while trolling for Silvers in Valdez. Set 4 strings (have an Ace line hauler and don't want to overload with the massive amounts of shrimp I'm pulling, haha) to cover more area, filled bait jars about half full after soaking it with shrimp fuel for 48 hours and put in center of Ladner round pots. Pulled first thing in the morning and last thing at night, set shallow at night and deeper in the morning. Caught one octopus (called them "tacos" in Hawaii) whose belly when cut open looked like a huge shrimp salad--it paid the ultimate price for its misdeeds and now resides in the freezer, waiting the appropriate day when I want some taco salad. A "trick" I learned while diving in Hawaii (I was stationed there my final 3 years) was to grab them around the "neck" and squeeze as hard as I could for as long as I could--that's how I kept them from getting in to places I didn't want them to go--of course, they tried to return the favor but my arms were longer. Question--what's the consensus on female shrimp with eggs? Keep, or release?
    keep the eggers, if you let them go by the time they get back to the bottom they either get eaten on the way or the current floats them a long ways from home.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I fish two strings of two pots and my parents fish a single 4 pot string. My two strings might do a little better, but its pretty much a wash. The only downside is if you drop in an empty zone with a single string, its very disappointing. More rare to set two bad strings.

Well I can say I had my best shrimping weekend ever now! I dropped my pots in an area Saturday morning and pulled twice that day and got 200 or so per pull. That evening I dropped my pots for the night and Sunday morning I woke up to pull them. It was pretty breezy in the morning which pushed me away from my string (of 4) and my puller kept tripping the breaker. Then I started thinking about having my wife motor upwind while I pull, and then the line snapped! I immediately yelled a few choice words.
    I dug around in the boat and found an old anchor and a new pot line. I tied up the little claw anchor and drug the bottom for about 3 hours. No luck and the wind wasn’t helping. So I ran back to Whittier and bought a cheesy grapple. I tied that onto the back of the anchor with a 20’ rope and tied a 10lb downrigger ball on to the grapple. I drug this around for a couple more hours (at .5-1mph) and was about to give up when I coasted to a stop. I went to grab my line and it felt heavy so I put it in the puller and sure enough I could hear the motor strain a little. Hope at last! The puller brought up line to the anchor and I had to hand pull the next 20’. Up comes the grapple and there’s an old ratty lead line hanging onto the round ball not on the grapple at all. I gently hurried up and grabbed the line and hung it off a welded rod holder, disconnected the dragging set up from the puller and began pulling the ratty line. Up comes an old old plastic pot with an octopus, rocks , a couple fish, and tons of shells and barnacles. I grabbed the pot and puller it toward me and BAM!! there’s a new lead line on the backside of the old pot!!!!! Sure enough it was my string!! I pulled my pots and caught 175 shrimp.

So yes I had a great weekend! I did my best on shrimp, caught my first octopus, lost my pots, bought a grapple, tried a new type of fishing and caught my 4 pots, a plastic pot, tons of useless line, and learned a few things. I learned to always keep a spare line long enough to retrieve your pots on board and a grapple, persistence pays, and maybe buy a bigger diameter lead line. Oh and hand pulling 20 feet of 5 pots, 1000’(ish) lead line, 10lb weight, and a grapple on 3/16 nylon rope absolutely sucks. It helps to have someone else there.

Quote Originally Posted by KantishnaCabin View Post
    Haha, I wrestled two of them into submission this year. Both of them were on the small side, maybe 18' long. When I brought them home my wife became upset. She watched some documentary on Octopus that was all about their intelligence and how they like puzzles. I asked her if they were so smart and good with puzzles how did my dumb ass catch them. Man they were tasty though, in the end I had to promise the wife that future Octopi will be humanly returned to the sea... I'm pretty sure that putting them on my halibut hook will count. After all, they came from pretty far down there, I'm just helping them get back to the right depth.
    I’m in the same boat! I love the stuff so it’s a bummer the wife put the foot down on that one lol.

Overtime,
    What a great story!
    Those are memeories......:-)
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Overtime,
    What a great story!
    Those are memeories......:-)
    Bk
    2nd that, amazing you got your gear back
    “We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Sea lice are interesting. There are times that the bait jars are full of them. Then again, deeper, I don't seem to get much of them at all. What I hate the most are octopus. They will clean out a whole pot. But on the other side of the coin, I love eating them. So kind of a love hate relationship. Interesting, I used to get a lot of red starfish. They seem to have disappeared all together and the octopus are getting bigger. It seems that the hairy snails have gone away too. I would love to see 500' down what really goes on down there.
    Dave, whats you recipe for octopus? Caught a few this year, but let them slide back into the deep.
    “We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Dave, whats you recipe for octopus? Caught a few this year, but let them slide back into the deep.
    Sorry but I just saw this. I boil water and blanch for 2 minutes. As warm as I can I peel the skin back and off. The suction cups come right off. I rinse well, then just cook in butter with some garlic till I think its tender. It is a little chewy but then you really feel like you've eaten meal and have only eaten a little.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Thought I might add about bait. New drop, first set, I add 2 cans of cat food. Usually a salmon flavor. I punch holes in the top/bottom with an awl. I like to use 2 bait containers and attach them to the top of the trap with what ever hook I have. Bait containers are only filled 2/3 - 3/4 full at the most with pellets as they expand. Sometimes I have access to fish meal. So I mix that to a paste with herring oil. In those sets, there is no need for cat food. Pellets take about 2 days to start to break down. Fish meal is already broken down so no wait time. I have used fish caucuses. But you end up with bones al over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Sorry but I just saw this. I boil water and blanch for 2 minutes. As warm as I can I peel the skin back and off. The suction cups come right off. I rinse well, then just cook in butter with some garlic till I think its tender. It is a little chewy but then you really feel like you've eaten meal and have only eaten a little.
    Thanks Dave, I am a noob when it comes to 8 legged creatures, have dragged a few in and wondered what I can do with them, how do you deal with them out on the boat, remove the beak? Gut em.... just looks like a disaster to me....LOL

You can always leave them in a pail until they die. Option 1. Option 2 is to stab them between the eyes and let them die. Option 3 is leave it in a pail until you get back to the dock, look bewildered, and maybe someone will kill it for you.

Cleaning is more or a watch me thing. You can cut the legs off, open the hood and you can look at the guts inside. There is an ink sack in there, dark in color. It is not a good idea to open it. It is also not a good idea to freeze an octopus whole. Unless you have an outside trapping/bait freezer. Might lead to a divorce.

I have never had a problem with the beak, getting bitten. When I clean them, I save the bigger beaks. Air dry them and they are fine. I have a small candy dish up stairs and they go into that. Along with little starfish, coral, Alaskan garnets, sled dog booties and such. When I have little kids visiting I do show-and-tell with them and they like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Thanks Dave, I am a noob when it comes to 8 legged creatures, have dragged a few in and wondered what I can do with them, how do you deal with them out on the boat, remove the beak? Gut em.... just looks like a disaster to me....LOL

Lots of octopus processing videos on youtube...do a search and take your pick. I got a bunch of them last year...usually in my shrimp pots but the 2 biggest were about 5 feet across and on rod/reel. That was interesting.

Tried a new spot once when we could fish 5 pots. Set the gear in with only pellets for bait, hauled in 1 hour had 100 shrimp out of the 5 pots, just imagine how many i would of had with 2 day old pellets. They fish right away i think.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Tried a new spot once when we could fish 5 pots. Set the gear in with only pellets for bait, hauled in 1 hour had 100 shrimp out of the 5 pots, just imagine how many i would of had with 2 day old pellets. They fish right away i think.
    They do, indeed. I've had great pulls after 3-4 hours with new pellets. I drill the holes out on my bait jars so that the sea lice can get in and break up the pellets to disperse the scent. The pellets are all but gone after 12-18 hours, but that seems to fish better than small holes and slowly dissolving pellets over longer sets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12