Thread: Garmin 496 Charging

Default Garmin 496 Charging

Off the wall question but...

Having been back in AK for a couple of years now and unlimbered the ol' PA-12, it struck me a bit ago...."Didn't I have a GPS somewhere?"

Long story short, I had to replace the battery in my 496, go through the Operating and Aviation database update / goat rope, and am now happily working off a new battery with current software.

....anyone put a new battery in that might know the anticipated time to charge (while running off of plane power)?
    Back in AK

I have a 495 but I don't know about charging a new battery. The Garmin AC charger that came with my GPS is only 1.5 Amp so if the battery is delivered uncharged I imagine it would take a while to charge it for the first time. You might try contacting Garmin and find out if there are any special requirements for the fist time charge. The battery may be fully charged when it leaves the factory. You could always put it in the GPS and turn it on. If the battery is extremely low it will give a warning. If not, go the the Main Menu, GPS page. On mine there is a blue horizontal bar in the middle of the page that shows the battery condition. I bet it is the same on yours.

Thanks, all the info lines up with what I've experienced.

I actually procured 2 new batteries; one took 8.5 hours to fully charge from the wall outlet. The second will go in the GPS>>in the plane tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes.
    Back in AK

You also have an internal battery in the garmin, this battery needs to be charged every couple of months. Plug the garmin in at home and turn the simulator on. Leave it on overnight.