Thread: Portage Creek

Default Portage Creek

Anyone rafted portage creek recently? I'm pretty new to rafting, and just want to know if I should worry about anything. I've heard it is very easy... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by peakman View Post
    Anyone rafted portage creek recently? I'm pretty new to rafting, and just want to know if I should worry about anything. I've heard it is very easy... Thanks!
    Not recently, but I floated it last August. Very easy float.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Thank You!

I havenít been on it since May. The boulder garden below the bridge can be a bit challenging to avoid barely submerged rocks. Be careful of any blind corners for piles of wood (strainers).

My wife and I did it during the first part of July. No issues. I also ran a kaboat with a short shaft several times. Please post here or message me if you see moose or moose sign as I have a tag there this year and am trying to monitor the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I donít think you can hunt the Portage valley for big game? You are better off scouting the other 2 rivers in the area.

Just got back from our float today. I agree, the rock garden was a bit challenging to navigate, especially in our 14ft raft. We had 3 adults and 3 kids in the raft, and the float took 2 1/2 hours from the lake put in to the bridge. Where the river forks about 1 mile in, we took the left route which parallels the road. No major sweeper issues, but some shallow spots. No moose... but a fun little float! Round trip about 6 hours. (Out of Anchorage)

Very cool. If you can make it down Portage the Upper Kenai wonít be much more challenging. There are a couple of fun classII rapids (Princess Rapid & Schooner Bend) but you can avoid most of the waves if you choose. If not hit them square on. Welcome to the addiction.

Where would be the put in and take out for that section of the Kenai?? Just wondering about a trip later this summer...

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    I donít think you can hunt the Portage valley for big game? You are better off scouting the other 2 rivers in the area.
    You are right. I confused portage with placer. My bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by peakman View Post
    Where would be the put in and take out for that section of the Kenai?? Just wondering about a trip later this summer...
    You can put in either right at the bridge that first crosses the Kenai as it comes out of Kenai Lake or at Sportsman's Landing, which is basically right across from the Russian River confluence just above the Russian River ferry. Takeout is generally Jim's Landing, which is the first right on Skilak Lake Road. Fishing is usually better on the lower half of this run, so lots of people do the shorter run from Sportman's to Jim's. I like the upper stretch, so usually start at Kenai Lake. You will have to row the first ~1/4 mile until the current picks up, though.

Thanks! I've already done my fair share of fishing, so I think the upper stretch would be just fine. If not this summer, the next...

I was along for my first raft float this past Monday and we floated the upper Kenai from the Kenai Lake to Jim's Landing. Great scenery and fun. The guy who ran the raft lives in Eagle River and has floated numerous times so it was good learning watching him handle the raft. We were limited to our fishing for reds only by the Russian and had a sow blackie and 2 cubs patrol the shoreline while we fished in the river near the powerline. No fish but we didn't fish too long. The one advice the raft operator said was to stay to the right when you go under the bridge before the Russian. That and to pay attention to not miss the takeout. Fun float.