Thread: any ideas on a sealskin pelt?

Default any ideas on a sealskin pelt?

i got a few seals a couple of weeks ago and i was wondering if anybody knew of a place in ak or outside that would tan those hides. i guess theres only one guy in ak that is licensed by the state to handle things of that nature. i called him up and he basically brushed me off, i guess my money is no good at his shop. and i would hate to see them go to waste because i didnt get them done right away. ive got them sitting in my freezer and i guess they can keep up to a year in the freezer. any ideas would be much appreciated.

Default tanneries

As long as you are native, which I am assuming you are since you said you "got" them, then you can send them to any tannery you want. I have had friends send to Alpha (I don't recommend them), Shishmereff (don't go here either) and Moyles in Idaho. Moyles does a great job on them.

The key with the seals is be sure you get ALL the fat off the hide as soon as possible. Scrape it, and scrape it. I have seen way too many seal hides sent off and wrecked because of a poor fleshing job. Flesh it well and you will have a great pelt to make hats, etc.... out of.

www.moytown.com that is the addy, check them out.
    Last edited by fishermann222; 07-23-2007 at 11:19. Reason: website

Default yeah fisherman im native...

there is a pretty funny story behind those pelts, some guy called the cops on me because he thought i had done something wrong.(this was down in homer) i was cleaning the first seal on a cleaning table in the harbor. so the cops come down and they started scratching their heads. they ended up calling fish and game. those wardens were so fascinated with this seal, they were asking all sorts of questions and i just kept cleaning my catch, by now a small crowd had gathered and people were snapping pics and stuff. in the end, this guy walked off in a huff because there was nothing the authorities could do.

check the sitka tribal tannery I don't know abou their seal tanning but they do a wonderfull job on sea otter
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Default Thanks for the info

Arctic Fox- Congrats on getting the furs... Hope you find a tannery that will do
    them justice.
    Fishermann- Thanks for the tip on the Moyle tannery... good web site, I learned something about how inportant getting all the fat off a fur is to the overall process.... I know I'll pay much more attention to detail from now on

Default a native buddy of mine used the orange tanning formula on his seal

a buddy of mine used my orange bottle of tanning formula...and it turned out great...now, it was not a huge seal, so, it was easy for him to flesh it down good....but, it turned out great....

and moyle is cheap, fast and does a great job..i got my beaver back the other day and man, they are awesome!
    Scotty in the AK bush

Was it the guy at Frontier Tanners that brushed you off? I've had seal skins there and they turned out real good. He's a small operation.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by arcticfox77 View Post
    there is a pretty funny story behind those pelts, some guy called the cops on me because he thought i had done something wrong.(this was down in homer) i was cleaning the first seal on a cleaning table in the harbor. so the cops come down and they started scratching their heads. they ended up calling fish and game. those wardens were so fascinated with this seal, they were asking all sorts of questions and i just kept cleaning my catch, by now a small crowd had gathered and people were snapping pics and stuff. in the end, this guy walked off in a huff because there was nothing the authorities could do.

Thats a pretty funny story
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.