Thread: First Time Float Trip Must Read

Default First Time Float Trip Must Read

The lessons in this story “should” be common sense for those that have spent time floating rivers. However, they may not be obvious to new rafters. Wearing your PFD (life jacket) even on what seems like a shallow, slow moving river can still make the difference between living and dying. When bad things happen on a river they happen unexpectedly and fast! If the river is high and fast it is even more important. Please don’t create your own tragic story through stupidity that the rest of us have read.

'Unforgettable': A dream Alaska fishing trip turned into a lifesaving mission for a Wisconsin doctor and his son

http://www.adn.com/outdoors-adventur...aving-mission/

(Via ADN)

Bummer. Tried to open up and read your link, but because I am not a paying subscriber to ADN I got blocked from the site. Perhaps someone can give us the cliffnotes version so we are aware.

Try this link:
    http://www.leadertelegram.com/News/F...ngels-div.html

Searching YouTube leads to lots of American Creek rafters floating without PFD’s. They must be too cool to wear a PFD or they are afraid viewers won’t see the labels on their gear?

You can access just about any suscriber news site by going into incognito or private mode on your browser, it works on adn anyways...or so I hear. As long as you are ok with it morally speaking.

I didn't read the story so I will wait for the cliffsnotes version as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Bummer. Tried to open up and read your link, but because I am not a paying subscriber to ADN I got blocked from the site. Perhaps someone can give us the cliffnotes version so we are aware.
    "Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Many people think because they can swim in a pool, lake or river while wearing swim clothing, that they can also swim while wearing everyday clothing or fishing/hunting gear

Yep, that worked that time. Thanks. A lot of people I go out fishing with don't wear life jackets. I ALWAYS wear a life jacket on a boat in Alaska. Ocean boat, river boat, jet boat, raft etc. Not many people make it out alive if they are not wearing a PFD. It's a no brainer in my opinion.

Alaska’s cold water killed another that was not wearing a pfd. Alaska is beautiful but unforgiving.

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Aus...490199601.html

Unfortunately, AK claimed another non-PFD wearing floater. Didn’t take long.
    1 dead on the Kenai after the boat drifted into a rock and flipped. 2 swam to shore. 1 didn’t make it.