Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Haul Road Caribou Thread

Default 2018 Haul Road Caribou Thread

Heading up next week. Any reports from those that have already gone? Construction woes, caribou sightings, etc?

Thanks!

Heading up next Wednesday for 10 days hope to find something moving.

I saw over 1000 about 25 miles NW of Deadhorse two weeks ago...heading for a stroll away from bugs.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    I saw over 1000 about 25 miles NW of Deadhorse two weeks ago...heading for a stroll away from bugs.
    Holy crap! How do you take a stroll 25 miles to the NW of Deadhorse? Does a stroll mean flying an airplane?

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Holy crap! How do you take a stroll 25 miles to the NW of Deadhorse? Does a stroll mean flying an airplane?
    I was working in the oil fields...it's a cheat LOL
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    I was working in the oil fields...it's a cheat LOL
    Oh, I see. I got ya.

Just got back yesterday. First few days it was depressing on how few caribou I saw. Then around Friday they started showing up around mile 365ish. By Sunday they were all the way down to toolik lake. Two areas of construction with pilot cars, one north of coldfoot and one just south of Prudhoe Bay (long one). Otherwise road in great shape. Fewest amount of hunters I have seen up there, but still enough to ruin a couple of stalks but that's road hunting in Alaska.

Easy hunting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2005 Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
    Keepin R' Wet
    Wasilla, AK

Quote Originally Posted by spyguy386 View Post

Easy hunting...

Trying to figure out why a cow caribou standing in the middle of the road equates to easy hunting. Did you shoot this caribou?

This was a young bull, it had nuts under it. However I was being sarcastic about it being an easy hunt. I was actually working so no hunting for me. What I can say though is they are getting little thicker and seen multiple “bigger” bulls over the course of the last couple days. They are moving east to west and still haven’t herded yet. So when I mean thicker I mean more sightings in less miles traveled

2005 Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
    Keepin R' Wet
    Wasilla, AK

Quote Originally Posted by spyguy386 View Post
    This was a young bull, it had nuts under it. However I was being sarcastic about it being an easy hunt. I was actually working so no hunting for me. What I can say though is they are getting little thicker and seen multiple “bigger” bulls over the course of the last couple days. They are moving east to west and still haven’t herded yet. So when I mean thicker I mean more sightings in less miles traveled

Oh, okay. Thanks for the report.

Any updates?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I found on another forum that the road is really bad due to all the rain. Lots of vehicles having problems and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I found on another forum that the road is really bad due to all the rain. Lots of vehicles having problems and such.
    What other forum? always looking another good source of info

steve

907 hunting on facebook.

Anyone been up there lately

Headed up in two weeks. Any updates on the road conditions or caribou sightings are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Not worried about the rut smell? You are braver than I!

Looks like its that time of year again. The north slope caribou rut in October. STAY AWAY! The bulls will be inedible. Not fit for human consumption. Nasty, gross, smelly, tainted. I made the mistake once. It isn't worth it! No amount of seasoning or marinating would make a rutted up bull caribou edible. DON'T DO IT!! I wish hunting season up there would be closed for bulls starting about October 3 and running through about October 25th. Its that bad. Don't just take my word for it do a search on this forum.

Definitely a possibility but we haven't experienced the rutted up bad tasting bulls in early October. We used to make two trips; one the third week of August in rafts when grizzly season opens and the second the first weekend of October (Columbus Day) to hunt the road. Regardless, we'll be up north from 10/4 thru 10/8 somewhere between Toolik Lake and Prudhoe Bay. Any updates on road conditions are greatly appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast