Thread: GH toms doing weird things

Default GH toms doing weird things

I have 2 mat su express and 1 other tomato plants in my greenhouse. They get fed and watered at the same times and in the same amounts. The other seems to have the leaves drying up, while 1 mat su express leaves look overwatered to me. Seems odd so could one of you wisemen of the greenhouse clan provide direction please?

mater1.JPG

mater2.JPG

Thanks,
    T

What's the food mix? & ratio ?
    Food in the water every watering?

Without being there,
    top pic one looks over fertilized.

bottom one looks looks like a magnesium (epsom salts) deficiency & possibly over fertilized too.

Each GH environment is a little different.
    It takes time to know when & how much water & food to use for your conditions.

I add calcium & magnesuim to my water,
    Some use Cal-Mag tomato food.
    Water PH is important too.

Stop by Mid Valley, talk to Mark & bring a leaf of each & /or the pics.
    Mr Tomato has been thru a few serious tomato learning curves & will have some very useful info.

We can be certain that you have serious Magnesium deficiency. You can add a tablespoon to a gallon of water then spray to help get them on track faster, but you really need some MgSO4 in your mix.

Take note, your issue is common up here where we have long days, Magnesium is central to the Chlorophyll molecule and is mobile in the plant. This is why it shows up on the bottom leaves first. It will not hurt your yield at first, but the leaf damage adds up and eventually it hurts.

I'm using Miracle Gro with the larger end of the scoop they provide per gallon of water once a week or so. I have been using plastic tubs with 5 gallon buckets placed inside the tubs so the plants can use whatever they need and to avoid overwatering. I've noticed my Bell Peppers do not like this method. My goal is to get the Alaska Grow Bucket setup I read about in this forum or some version thereof. I read about it too late to get going this year.

Mark, I'll swing in and pick up some of that MgSO4 in the next day or so.

Thanks for the timely and helpful replies.

I'm curious as to what is being used for soil or potting mix. I have a rube goldberg type self watering system and I have learned that unless I get the potting soil mix correct my toms would either get too much water or not enough. Regular promix has the best perlite/soil mix to "syphon" enough water for the plants, but not create a soggy condition.

My well water has a PH of 7 and tomatoes would prefer a PH Closer to 6.5 so I use a little PH Down in my GH reservoir to attempt to get below 7.

When I used miracle grow to feed my plants, I found mixing in a teaspoon of Epsom Salts per gallon of water helped.

Old John, I am using the compost soil mix from Ken's off of the frontage road. I've not tested my well water ph. My Cucs, Bell Peppers, Carrots and Peas don't seem to mind the well water, I may have to have a separate water can for Toms? Probably all plants can benefit from the added magnesium/Epsom salt?

Here's my tub water system
    Attachment 96418
    Last edited by tracen8r; 07-27-2018 at 10:56. Reason: add'l question

Cucumbers, Peppers, tomatoes all use about the same formula. It is very important to use fertilizer that is high in K. You MUST also have Ca in there and as you found out MgSO4. I suggest using mixes made for container growing of these crops, it is harder to measure what is in a so called mix than it is to measure fertilizer. We do not guess, we do what the labs tell us to do. We have support from the best in the business, this info is passed along to those who want to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by mark oathout View Post
    Cucumbers, Peppers, tomatoes all use about the same formula. It is very important to use fertilizer that is high in K. You MUST also have Ca in there and as you found out MgSO4. I suggest using mixes made for container growing of these crops, it is harder to measure what is in a so called mix than it is to measure fertilizer. We do not guess, we do what the labs tell us to do. We have support from the best in the business, this info is passed along to those who want to learn.
    Mark, I dropped by your shop today and picked up a bag of fertilizer. As small as my GH is and as few plants that I have, that bag will last me close to 5 years! Lol!! I followed the direction for mixing by gallon and hit all my stuff this evening. I'll post pics when it all perks up

Thanks again for all the info

Putzing around and noticed these growing on the stems. Do I need to remove them? Remove whole branch? Chemical spray or mist of some sort?

Attachment 96420
    Attachment 96421

Quote Originally Posted by tracen8r View Post
    Old John, I am using the compost soil mix from Ken's off of the frontage road. I've not tested my well water ph. My Cucs, Bell Peppers, Carrots and Peas don't seem to mind the well water, I may have to have a separate water can for Toms? Probably all plants can benefit from the added magnesium/Epsom salt?

Here's my tub water system
    Attachment 96418

Sorry for the slow response (went fishing)
    when you build your "grow bucket' System, if built as designed, you'll have a water reservoir. you can use some PH DOWN to adjust the water PH in the reservoir before it gets to the plants. if in fact your well water PH is 7 or more. Most of the valley water seems to be right at 7, from what I've heard on several of the garden forums. I've no idea what Ken's potting soil consists of. I haven't heard any complaints... The point I was really trying to make was I had water problems with the potting soil mix I was trying to use, which was a mix of miracle grow potting soil and my own blend of compost.. ONE year I got it perfect and had a nice crop. Next year I Didn't have enough perlite and the mix didn't drain well enough, the next year I Had too much perlite and it wouldn't siphon the water up high enough for the roots.. THIS YEAR I used straight PRO MIX and using MARK'S recommended fertilizer formula, I Have some very nice tom plants. It's really a long slow learning process.

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Sorry for the slow response (went fishing)
    when you build your "grow bucket' System, if built as designed, you'll have a water reservoir. you can use some PH DOWN to adjust the water PH in the reservoir before it gets to the plants. if in fact your well water PH is 7 or more. Most of the valley water seems to be right at 7, from what I've heard on several of the garden forums. I've no idea what Ken's potting soil consists of. I haven't heard any complaints... The point I was really trying to make was I had water problems with the potting soil mix I was trying to use, which was a mix of miracle grow potting soil and my own blend of compost.. ONE year I got it perfect and had a nice crop. Next year I Didn't have enough perlite and the mix didn't drain well enough, the next year I Had too much perlite and it wouldn't siphon the water up high enough for the roots.. THIS YEAR I used straight PRO MIX and using MARK'S recommended fertilizer formula, I Have some very nice tom plants. It's really a long slow learning process.
    It is indeed a long, slow process! Lol! The soil at Ken's is from Susitna Organics. I was a bit skeptical at first due to using a local compost previously had a crap load of weeds. This is not the case for the Susitna Organics compost. Had a few weeds sprout, but not many. I need to find a good cheap source for the polypro bags so I can setup my buckets better next season.