Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Northwest Alaska Adventures - Walt Maslen

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    6

    Default Northwest Alaska Adventures - Walt Maslen

    Hey guys, I have started the preliminary planning of what is hoped to be a great 2020 Moose Float trip and have started talking with Walt Maslen of Northwest Alaska Adventures. He provided some great planning advice and some great recommendations on location and rivers to float.

    There are two of us going and have done quite a bit of paddling around the Gulf of Mexico but that is about it.

    I was hoping to get some feedback on Walt and the services he provides. From our email exchange and phone calls he seems like a pretty reputable guy and even suggested I make a post on here to inquire about some references.

    Of course everyone here could be headed to Walt's house this weekend for some R&R but I would think that i could find some honest feedback on him.

    I have a great first impression of him and enjoyed our visit and look forward to working with him.

    Thanks for your help.

    Ryan

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoyce View Post
    Hey guys, I have started the preliminary planning of what is hoped to be a great 2020 Moose Float trip and have started talking with Walt Maslen of Northwest Alaska Adventures. He provided some great planning advice and some great recommendations on location and rivers to float.

    There are two of us going and have done quite a bit of paddling around the Gulf of Mexico but that is about it.

    I was hoping to get some feedback on Walt and the services he provides. From our email exchange and phone calls he seems like a pretty reputable guy and even suggested I make a post on here to inquire about some references.

    Of course everyone here could be headed to Walt's house this weekend for some R&R but I would think that i could find some honest feedback on him.

    I have a great first impression of him and enjoyed our visit and look forward to working with him.

    Thanks for your help.

    Ryan
    Do you have a link to a website for this business? I tried to look up the name directly and nothing showed up. This wouldn't be the same Walt that owns Gulkana River Raft Rentals would it? Because I know he used to run an outfitting business up in Northwest Alaska. If so, he is a top notch guy that is a wealth of info and he regularly is a contributor to this site.

  3. #3
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,794

    Default

    Walt's a stand-up guy. You're in good hands.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

  4. #4
    New member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Bushwack jack - I kind of messed up on the name of his business just a little. He is with Northwest Alaska Backcountry Outfitters.

    http://www.northwestalaska.net/

    I cross checked the phone numbers provided on the Gulkana River Raft page and the same phone number is listed so I would think that we are talking about the same Walt. I have been talking with him in regards to renting some boats and coordinating some logistics for the trip. Being a first trip I think i could use all the help I can find.

    I am not sure where I stumbled onto his information in one of the hundreds of pages I have read through during my research. He seemed to stick out to me and after talking with him I feel I can trust him.

    Thanks,

    Ryan

  5. #5
    New member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    northern alaska
    Posts
    1,213

    Default

    Mind boggling why anyone would go to NW Alaska to hunt moose. Do you have any idea what it would cost to fly your moose meat out of that area?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Mind boggling why anyone would go to NW Alaska to hunt moose. Do you have any idea what it would cost to fly your moose meat out of that area?
    Not that much actually. I believe it is less than 50 cents a pound and it might be as low as 25 cents a pound. The expensive part is flying all your gear up there, flying yourself up there, and of course, flying in and out of the field. There are some really big moose up in NW Alaska. And, the hunting is some of the best in the state. I did it once years ago. If I could afford to go, I would go every year. It is expensive, but flying the meat back is pretty cheap compared to the rest of it.

  8. #8
    New member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Thanks Bushwack. I have been doing a ton of research on what the costs are associated with this trip. The best I can figure and the way Walt has discussed this option of the trip with me is taking a bush plane out of Kotz. Getting the meet back to Dallas will run .75 a pound on Alaska Airlines as checked baggage frozen prior to departure. I would be shipping most of my gear up that way and saving on additional baggage fees by utilizing the Alaska Airlines frequent flyer program and additional free baggage you can check if signed up as reward member.

    Bushwack, I would be interested to understand how your lower shipping rates are achieved.

    Thanks again.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    4,264

    Default

    He also post over on 24hourcampfire as NorthwestAlaska..

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoyce View Post
    Thanks Bushwack. I have been doing a ton of research on what the costs are associated with this trip. The best I can figure and the way Walt has discussed this option of the trip with me is taking a bush plane out of Kotz. Getting the meet back to Dallas will run .75 a pound on Alaska Airlines as checked baggage frozen prior to departure. I would be shipping most of my gear up that way and saving on additional baggage fees by utilizing the Alaska Airlines frequent flyer program and additional free baggage you can check if signed up as reward member.

    Bushwack, I would be interested to understand how your lower shipping rates are achieved.

    Thanks again.
    Everts Air in Anchorage

    http://www.evertsair.com/

  11. #11
    New member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Walt is a great guy, I'm leaving in 4 weeks on a hunt that he was instrumental in planning on!! Good advise--"Stay with the big air charters" having a few issues with a smaller guy.

    We fly out of Dallas so I will have some insight on freighting meat and gear soon.

    Good luck!!

  12. #12
    New member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bengoin View Post
    Walt is a great guy, I'm leaving in 4 weeks on a hunt that he was instrumental in planning on!! Good advise--"Stay with the big air charters" having a few issues with a smaller guy.

    We fly out of Dallas so I will have some insight on freighting meat and gear soon.

    Good luck!!

    Ben - I am also located in Dallas. I would be extremely interested in hearing about your trip and logistics on getting things to and fro. I will follow up with PM.

  13. #13
    New member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoyce View Post
    Ben - I am also located in Dallas. I would be extremely interested in hearing about your trip and logistics on getting things to and fro. I will follow up with PM.
    Well not sure how to do a PM. Sent a friend request. Maybe that will allow a PM after completed. What type of hunt are you going on? Moose or Bou?

  14. #14
    New member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoyce View Post
    Well not sure how to do a PM. Sent a friend request. Maybe that will allow a PM after completed. What type of hunt are you going on? Moose or Bou?
    Email me cause its not working for some reason bhbelectric@hotmail.com Float hunt for caribou, & moose

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Gakona Ak
    Posts
    1,643

    Default

    I hear that he is a real nice guy and good looking too!

    Walt

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    I hear that he is a real nice guy and good looking too!

    Walt
    Don't get too big of a head Walt. lol. Compliments are like cologne, you should only wear it on the outside.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Gakona Ak
    Posts
    1,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Don't get too big of a head Walt. lol. Compliments are like cologne, you should only wear it on the outside.
    Ok....Now ou have hurt my feelings.HAAAAA

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •