Thread: Northwest Alaska Adventures - Walt Maslen

Default Northwest Alaska Adventures - Walt Maslen

Hey guys, I have started the preliminary planning of what is hoped to be a great 2020 Moose Float trip and have started talking with Walt Maslen of Northwest Alaska Adventures. He provided some great planning advice and some great recommendations on location and rivers to float.

There are two of us going and have done quite a bit of paddling around the Gulf of Mexico but that is about it.

I was hoping to get some feedback on Walt and the services he provides. From our email exchange and phone calls he seems like a pretty reputable guy and even suggested I make a post on here to inquire about some references.

Of course everyone here could be headed to Walt's house this weekend for some R&R but I would think that i could find some honest feedback on him.

I have a great first impression of him and enjoyed our visit and look forward to working with him.

Thanks for your help.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by mrjoyce View Post
    Hey guys, I have started the preliminary planning of what is hoped to be a great 2020 Moose Float trip and have started talking with Walt Maslen of Northwest Alaska Adventures. He provided some great planning advice and some great recommendations on location and rivers to float.

There are two of us going and have done quite a bit of paddling around the Gulf of Mexico but that is about it.

I was hoping to get some feedback on Walt and the services he provides. From our email exchange and phone calls he seems like a pretty reputable guy and even suggested I make a post on here to inquire about some references.

Of course everyone here could be headed to Walt's house this weekend for some R&R but I would think that i could find some honest feedback on him.

I have a great first impression of him and enjoyed our visit and look forward to working with him.

Thanks for your help.

Ryan
    Do you have a link to a website for this business? I tried to look up the name directly and nothing showed up. This wouldn't be the same Walt that owns Gulkana River Raft Rentals would it? Because I know he used to run an outfitting business up in Northwest Alaska. If so, he is a top notch guy that is a wealth of info and he regularly is a contributor to this site.

Walt's a stand-up guy. You're in good hands.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Bushwack jack - I kind of messed up on the name of his business just a little. He is with Northwest Alaska Backcountry Outfitters.

http://www.northwestalaska.net/

I cross checked the phone numbers provided on the Gulkana River Raft page and the same phone number is listed so I would think that we are talking about the same Walt. I have been talking with him in regards to renting some boats and coordinating some logistics for the trip. Being a first trip I think i could use all the help I can find.

I am not sure where I stumbled onto his information in one of the hundreds of pages I have read through during my research. He seemed to stick out to me and after talking with him I feel I can trust him.

Thanks,

Ryan

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated!

Mind boggling why anyone would go to NW Alaska to hunt moose. Do you have any idea what it would cost to fly your moose meat out of that area?

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Mind boggling why anyone would go to NW Alaska to hunt moose. Do you have any idea what it would cost to fly your moose meat out of that area?
    Not that much actually. I believe it is less than 50 cents a pound and it might be as low as 25 cents a pound. The expensive part is flying all your gear up there, flying yourself up there, and of course, flying in and out of the field. There are some really big moose up in NW Alaska. And, the hunting is some of the best in the state. I did it once years ago. If I could afford to go, I would go every year. It is expensive, but flying the meat back is pretty cheap compared to the rest of it.

Thanks Bushwack. I have been doing a ton of research on what the costs are associated with this trip. The best I can figure and the way Walt has discussed this option of the trip with me is taking a bush plane out of Kotz. Getting the meet back to Dallas will run .75 a pound on Alaska Airlines as checked baggage frozen prior to departure. I would be shipping most of my gear up that way and saving on additional baggage fees by utilizing the Alaska Airlines frequent flyer program and additional free baggage you can check if signed up as reward member.

Bushwack, I would be interested to understand how your lower shipping rates are achieved.

Thanks again.

He also post over on 24hourcampfire as NorthwestAlaska..

Thanks Bushwack. I have been doing a ton of research on what the costs are associated with this trip. The best I can figure and the way Walt has discussed this option of the trip with me is taking a bush plane out of Kotz. Getting the meet back to Dallas will run .75 a pound on Alaska Airlines as checked baggage frozen prior to departure. I would be shipping most of my gear up that way and saving on additional baggage fees by utilizing the Alaska Airlines frequent flyer program and additional free baggage you can check if signed up as reward member.

Bushwack, I would be interested to understand how your lower shipping rates are achieved.

Thanks again.
    Everts Air in Anchorage

http://www.evertsair.com/

Walt is a great guy, I'm leaving in 4 weeks on a hunt that he was instrumental in planning on!! Good advise--"Stay with the big air charters" having a few issues with a smaller guy.

We fly out of Dallas so I will have some insight on freighting meat and gear soon.

Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by bengoin View Post
    Walt is a great guy, I'm leaving in 4 weeks on a hunt that he was instrumental in planning on!! Good advise--"Stay with the big air charters" having a few issues with a smaller guy.

We fly out of Dallas so I will have some insight on freighting meat and gear soon.

Good luck!!

Ben - I am also located in Dallas. I would be extremely interested in hearing about your trip and logistics on getting things to and fro. I will follow up with PM.

Ben - I am also located in Dallas. I would be extremely interested in hearing about your trip and logistics on getting things to and fro. I will follow up with PM.
    Well not sure how to do a PM. Sent a friend request. Maybe that will allow a PM after completed. What type of hunt are you going on? Moose or Bou?

Well not sure how to do a PM. Sent a friend request. Maybe that will allow a PM after completed. What type of hunt are you going on? Moose or Bou?
    Email me cause its not working for some reason bhbelectric@hotmail.com Float hunt for caribou, & moose

I hear that he is a real nice guy and good looking too!

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    I hear that he is a real nice guy and good looking too!

Walt
    Don't get too big of a head Walt. lol. Compliments are like cologne, you should only wear it on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Don't get too big of a head Walt. lol. Compliments are like cologne, you should only wear it on the outside.
    Ok....Now ou have hurt my feelings.HAAAAA