Thread: Canadian Bison and Bear

Smile Canadian Bison and Bear

Just did a road trip to Seattle, then over to Idaho before heading back north.

Going down we saw 23 bears in 3 days. It was impressive as they were all right on the edge of the road. 3 or 4 were grizzlies.
    That fresh spring grass was pretty tasty. We also saw about 40 bison right on the road.

Coming back we saw 21 bears in 1 day. I never saw so many bears. Most were blacks or cinnamon blacks and 2 were grizzly. We estimate we saw over 60 bison, many of them calves.

Posting pics here are a pain since PhotoBucket went pay to play. I got a few nice shots.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Tapatalk makes posting pics easy. I only use it when I want to post pics. Otherwise I stick to the reg forum site. But photos are cake to post on Tapatalk.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Were the bears along the Cassiar? I always see more bears along the Cassiar this time of year than anywhere else. The one time I bothered to stop and examine what they were grazing on it was all the clover in bloom.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    Just did a road trip to Seattle, then over to Idaho before heading back north.

Going down we saw 23 bears in 3 days. It was impressive as they were all right on the edge of the road. 3 or 4 were grizzlies.
    That fresh spring grass was pretty tasty. We also saw about 40 bison right on the road.

Coming back we saw 21 bears in 1 day. I never saw so many bears. Most were blacks or cinnamon blacks and 2 were grizzly. We estimate we saw over 60 bison, many of them calves.

Posting pics here are a pain since PhotoBucket went pay to play. I got a few nice shots.
    we did a similar trip last month...same experience....never seen so many bears....
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

That is one of the pluses of driving to the lower 48, seeing lots of wildlife!

The bison can be a problem especially at night. Tough to see. I have never seen that many bears though. I wonder if the lack of new hunters and the guide requirement are a reason for the increase.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

I recall driving up in November and seeing what seemed like an entire herd of bison camped out sleeping in the middle of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by FairbanksFlies View Post
    I recall driving up in November and seeing what seemed like an entire herd of bison camped out sleeping in the middle of the road.
    Plant feed. They will come.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Ha ha, couldn't find this thread!

We saw 60 bison in one spot, cllected along both sides of the highway. Then smaller groups.
    The Cassiar had a few bears, but the majority was further north.

We did not drive in the dark. My aging eyes do not like that, unless required. A beautiful drive. I love the country of the Cassiar much better than the Alcan. It did mean a side trip to get to Liard Hotsprings. I never miss that hot spot!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it