Thread: Transporting frozen fish to the L48

Default Transporting frozen fish to the L48

We are planning to drive to the lower 48 and want to take a couple of 50 lb fish boxes with us. We've made the trip numerous times, but never with frozen. If we were driving a truck, I'd get a little chest freezer and run it with a generator, but we are in an SUV so that won't work.

If I pack an insulated fish box with dry ice, how long will that keep the fish frozen? I am tempted to get a large Yeti cooler and pack it full. How long will that keep frozen?

Our other alternative is to have a friend hold it and Fedex it to us when we're at our destination, but dang that's spendy!

I appreciate any suggestions!
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

I had 20 lbs. of dry ice in a cooler with frozen venison and it lasted from central NY to about Wyoming. Or 3-4 days. You said L48. Well it is quite a difference between Washington State and New York State. I can make NY in 6 days from Valdez. Dry ice may be difficult to find traveling the back roads of Canada. Might only be available in bigger cities. I think I'd vacuum seal the stuff, put it in a cooler and cover it with a block of ice. Just because ice is more easily available and can be replaced.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Remember this. The bigger the turkey, the longer it takes to thaw out. That said, buy the biggest cooler that will fit into your space in your suv. The contents of a 150qt cooler will stay frozen MUCH longer than the contents of 2 70 qt coolers. You don't need to splurge on a yeti unless you are looking for an excuse to buy one. Go visit
    Walmart and pick up an igloo coleman for much less. Add about 10lbs of dry ice to a 150qt cooler full of frozen fish. It will still be frozen a week later if you don't peak in your cooler. Stay out of it!
    Don't overthink it.

Good advice, thanks guys!
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Dry ice is amazingly cold but doesn’t last like regular ice. A solid 5lb block will last around 24 hours in a cooler, two 5lbs blocks the same, it just converts back to carbon dioxide - in a Yeti or not. A solid 10lb block will last longer, if you can find one, but plan on replacing dry ice on your trip. Safe travels!

the benefit of dry ice is "no water"

if you have capability of packing the cooler full and all frozen.... no ice is needed

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    the benefit of dry ice is "no water"

if you have capability of packing the cooler full and all frozen.... no ice is needed

Chris
    Exactly! Match the cooler size to your meat. Fill the void, if any with dry ice. Dont but the cooler til you have your meat. Know what you need space wise before you buy.

If you have a blanket or sleeping bag, wrap that around the cooler too. As others have said, bigger is better. Get it all in one large cooler and cover it with a sleeping bag and it will go quite a while if it was good and frozen to start.