Thread: 12 Ga rifled slug barrel

Default 12 Ga rifled slug barrel

I have recently came across and old Winchester single shot 12 ga shotgun. It was my Great uncles and when he died it was given to me. It is old, and the barrel has been sawed off and the whole gun has been spray panted. Needless to say it looks like hell and I wanted to turn it in to a good looking Slug gun. I am getting a new stock sent to me, but I am at a loss for where to get a good shotgun barrel. Does any one out there know a good place to get a decent barrel for it? Thanks good shooting.

Whitlock,
    You have a difficult problem......it can be resolved with enough $$$$ but not worth it.....cherish it as a memory of an old uncle and buy a decent slug gun if needed.....and check barrel ength to see if this thing is even legal....good luck!

I have checked the barrel, and I am just good, any shorter and it wouldn't be. I would like to turn it in to something nice, but I know it would cost a bit, but I think the sentimental value of having a good working gun that was his would be worth it. I was told about a company H&R 18** something, that would make them, but I could not find them on the web. I donít play with shotguns much apart from dove an duck hunting, but I though it would be something nice to hang on the wall and take out and shoot a deer or Hog with once in a while. I have always wanted a 72 cal rifle, but this would be the next best thing to it.

Default H&R

H&R sells such a critter in 12 and 20 ga, but they're complete packages. If you're talking about a Model 37 Winchester, the barrels won't interchange.
    You might consider contacting Hastings, they make rifled shotgun tubes for several models, and might be willing to make one up for you.
    http://www.hastingsbarrels.com/barrels.html
    http://www.hr1871.com/
    http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/ultraSlug.aspx
    One other thing to consider.......have the thing set up to take interchangeable choke tubes. Those older guns have more than enough meat to be reamed/threaded, and set up for a choke set. A friend of mine has one of the rifled tubes that threads in, and it works really well for him.
    Otherwise, you might try to have a 20 ga tube made up to slip into the 12 ga bore like the Briley skeet sets, the ones that slip into a 12 ga, and the tubes reduce to 20, 28 and .410 so you can shoot the whole match with one shotgun.
    Having a new barrel made up with a new lug, and modified to accept the ejector and latching components may very well be too expensive to consider, especially when a newly built purpose-made gun is available for under $200.

Darreld, Thanks for the links. it is not a 37, i believe that the 37 doesent have a hammer, this one does. i have to get it all cleaned up, and i wont be able to get to that for a few more months. I am in Iraq right now, and will be home in November. so i have a few projects to do, this is one of them. i have though of both of the choke tubes and the incerts, but i think that the barrel is to short to be playing with in such a way. even though it is legal, i dont want it riding around in the truch with me. dont want to be pulled over my the wrong cop. i will check it out and when i get it finished i will shoot you a picture. thanks again. cant wait to get back home and hunt different critters that dont shoot back.

Whit

Default Actually...

The Winchester Model 37 has an external hammer, a couple of different styles. I've got a 20 ga, 28" modified that patterns like an 'extra' full at 40 yards. Marked 'Steelbuilt', has a funky flat hammer that doesn't protrude into the sight picture.
    Take a good look when you get the paint off it.
    You might also consider going with a laminate, or synthetic stock, and having the piece bead blasted and Parkerized.
    Forgot to mention that you really need to see how the thing shoots slugs through the smoothbore tube before deciding you really need a rifled bore!

Good luck! Thanks for your service! Come home safe!

Hey Darreld,

Thanks again. It does shoot and other than just looking ugly, it is in good firing condition. I was also thinking of a laminate stock for it. My uncle had it for Salmon season that is why it was sawed off. The slugs pattern ok, but I donít have any range with it. It might be a 37 then it has that weird flat hammer that reviles the whole barrel when cocked. I havenít had the chance to play with it much because I got it when I was on R&R leave when I got it so I am looking forward to getting it all cleaned up and see exactly what I have when I get home. It just might need to be Parkerized, but I was going to try my dunk tank and scrubbing it first. I have some of the ceramic spray finish that you cook on, so I think I will finish it off with that. I used it on my 30-338 win mag, and it turned out great. Thanks again for all of the help.

Whit