Thread: Trailer Wheel Greese

Default Trailer Wheel Greese

How often do you all greese the wheel bearings on your boat trailer?

Thanks.

I grease them in the spring to push out any water from winter, then before any trip over 50 miles or once a month.

I repack them every year or two.

Or when the smoke starts leaking out.

I add greese after every trip. I.e after launching and retrieving the boat.

X2...............

I wonder if bearings are like electric motors, put the smoke back in them and they will surely run again

Bearing buddies have probably made me a bit lazier than I should be. I usually check things out good in the spring and then maybe a squirt or 2 over the summer. This year was the first time I have had any issue with any trailer bearings. Upon dissassembling the problem side (it was real hot) I discovered the bearing cage was dented and not allowing the balls to roll smoothly. Apparently it was assembled this way and still lasted 3 years. It is a good idea to carry an extra set of bearings and a seal in case you encounter trouble on the road.

Default Bearing Buddies

I run the bearing buddies and hit them once a trip just prior to launching. If you back a hot set of bearings into the cold salt water it will introduce salt to them. You want the grease to fill the void left by the spinning bearing. I only give each one 2 pumps w/ the grease gun and then I back into the water.
    This was suggested to me by an old timer that was helping me replace a set of bearings.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Every couple of trips and every spring I re-pack and re-seal my wheel bearings. Never had an issue with them.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default pack them lots

pack them at least once in the spring. When I was into heavy trucks we'd squirt 80-90 gear lube into the hub. The bearing would last for ages, and would just get polished in the grease/gear lube bath. I might try this with my boat trailer this year.

My Karavan trailer and Wells Cargo have the sure-lube hubs on them so I change the grease out every couple of years and top them off a couple of times a season. Some guys think they have bearing buddy's but there are two other systems out there which are the sure-lube and the ez-lube. The sure lube and ez lube are designed right into the hub rather than just a afterthought like the bearing buddy's. When you pump grease into a sure-lube or ez-lube system it pumps the old grease out. With bearings buddy's there is no way to make sure the bearings are fully packed without blowing the seals and the only way to change out the grease is to tear them down the old fashioned way.

Default sure lube

That's a cool deal there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Steve View Post
    That's a cool deal there.
    They are nifty and have been out for years.

The reason I say that some guys don't know the difference between the bearing buddy's and the sure lube is because I was one of them. I purchased my wells cargo new in 1994 and for 12 years thought the little grease fittings were typical bearing buddy's but I always wondered why the grease fitting would not spring out when pumped full of grease but instead the grease would come out from around the bearing. A couple of years ago when I got my new boat trailer and read up on the sure-lube system that it came with a big light bulb went off in my head.

If your grease zerks are screwed right into the end of the spindle then it is a sure-lube or ez-lube system as where the bearing buddy's are just a spring loaded cap with a grease zerk on the end and usually just blow out the inner seals and make a big mess.

Default Aftermarket?

Can you get the sure-lube or easy-lube systems as an after market deal? If so where? I have a Carnai with the spring loaded bearing buddy's.

Thumbs up Super Lubes

Just went through my King Trailer with Super Lubes after five years of rolling an 11,000 lb load, ( I tow home most every time ). I took a tour around Anchorage looking for bearings/seals ect.. and picked up the seals and bearings at Ak Bearing. Talked with Vic at the Dimond 6 Roblees and he indicated he does not stock but can order from Tie-Down Engineering who makes the Super Lube and his '05/'06 catalog showed retro fit kits.

I am very happy with what I saw when I took my three axles apart. Seals had started to leak this year, saw more water when I pumped through after a trip, and decided to be proactive instead of reactive to the situation. My drum brakes had a good coat of grease in them from the seals beginning to leak but the whole system is in great shape. I read through the Super Lube instruction sheet, Tie Down has online, and discovered they recommend spinning the wheel while greasing which may alleviate the grease getting past the seals and into the drum to some extent. Installed flush kits to get the salt away into the drums even better for the next round. I have been using the water proof, blue amsoil grease for the five years.

http://www.tiedown.com

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyfish View Post
    Can you get the sure-lube or easy-lube systems as an after market deal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetle Builder View Post
    catalog showed retro fit kits.
    I am just guessing but if they have a retro fit kit you must have to take your axles in to a machine shop and have the spindles drilled. I doubt a guy could drill a hole through the center of the spindle with it on the trailer unless you had some special equipment. Problem would be hitting the center hole with the cross hole. You might end up with swiss cheese trying to make a tunnel for the grease to flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle Builder View Post
    Installed flush kits to get the salt away into the drums even better for the next round.
    Install disk brakes and you will be even happier

Default Super Lube spindles

Quote Originally Posted by Crumm View Post
    I am just guessing but if they have a retro fit kit you must have to take your axles in to a machine shop and have the spindles drilled. I doubt a guy could drill a hole through the center of the spindle with it on the trailer unless you had some special equipment. Problem would be hitting the center hole with the cross hole. You might end up with swiss cheese trying to make a tunnel for the grease to flow.

My spindles are threaded and nutted on back side of the torsions axle drop leg so was thinking that others could use the retro kits but that may not be the case as I just looked at my other trailer and the spindles are pressed/welded? in.

Six Robblees stocks the cap/rubber and correct keeper washer for any who need quick replacements on there Super Lube systems.

Crumm: I had thought from the get go that I would upgrade this trailer to electric over hydraulic disc brakes one day but after driving and seeing how this surge/drum system has held up, I am happy to maintain this system and save those dollars for other necessary upgrades.

Enjoy