Thread: Nannies with kids

Question Nannies with kids

They've added a new rule for Southeast goat hunts this year. No nannies with kids. (Maybe it's no nannies 'accompanied by' kids. I don't have the book in front of me.)

So the question is, what exactly does that mean?

I'll pose the hypothetical thus: It's the last afternoon of the goat hunt. No billies. Not really in it for the taxidermy, anyway.

The only goats on this mountain this afternoon are a band of seven, two of them kids. They're all moving more or less together in a loose band about 50 yards vertical by 100 yards across the slope.

Are all those adult goats 'with' or 'accompanied by' kids?

What's the rule in this situation? You could watch for a while and see if one of 'em pees like a billy. But let's take the hypothetical a little further and say all five adults in the band are nannies. Can you shoot any of them?

I know this has been the rule up north for a while. How's it work?

Default Some

Some nannies will have kidds. Some will be barren or have lost them. The kidds are usually very close to their nanny. So if you determine by watching, that a nannie does not have kidds it is legal. BUT, usually a nannie counts as 2 goats. So if a limit in an area is 6 goats and 2 nannies are harvested and 2 billies.... the hunt is over. Or, hunters could have taken 6 billies.

In the F&G regulation book they is a page showing the difference between nannies and kidds. Good idea to review it. Spending some time watching goats helps. I have a group of 12-14 on the mountain near my house and I can watch them every night. It helps to just watch for their behavior.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Doesn't matter if there are a hundred nannies and only two kids. If they are in a band together, they are accompanied. Don't shoot the nannies when they are accompanied by kids. I have watched too many kids run from mama to other nannies for kicks, security or even out of no reason what so ever, that I could figure. I have even seen them suck from more than one nannie out of the band. Not a real hard question to answer.

So. That's one reply saying watch the goats and you're legal to take one who doesn't have her own kid, and one reply saying it's never legal to take a nanny with a kid in the neighborhood.

I'm inclined to go with Daveinthebush's answer, but it's not a 'majority rules' issue, it's interpreting the rules. Anybody else want to weigh in?

Default Adf&g

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 Mauser View Post
    So. That's one reply saying watch the goats and you're legal to take one who doesn't have her own kid, and one reply saying it's never legal to take a nanny with a kid in the neighborhood.

I'm inclined to go with Daveinthebush's answer, but it's not a 'majority rules' issue, it's interpreting the rules. Anybody else want to weigh in?
    You might consider finding out what ADF&Gs answer is and go with that (especially since your getting mixed info. here). My suggestion would be to keep looking for a billy. If you can't find one or get on one, then go home empty handed. As was stated, if you take a nanny you've taken two animals from the harvest quota. In reality, you taken more than that considering she'll raise numerous kids in her lifetime. Sorry, don't want to go all ethics on you as tends to happen here but I'm just offering one man's opinion on the matter.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Default nannies with kids

My impression of this rule is that a "nanny with kid" is a nanny with a kid that she gave birth to. However, I have to admit, this is the first time I've given this much thought.

I've often wondered how F&G enforces this rule. The only specimen they want is a skull plate with the horns attached.

Probably more to the point, I'd make sure that I spent plenty of time learning to tell the difference between a nanny and a billy. It can be pretty tough. Shoot billies.

Talking Only Way

The only way to make sure is to squeeze the teets and see if you get milk and then do a DNA test with the kidds. Getting her to hold still is your problem.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Other way

Or, be patient until you get a good look at their "goods"- or lack thereof. Horn spacing and mass are usually great indicators, but a gender check is a sure bet.

Talking

Either kid is perfectly legal.......accompanied by a nanny or not....talk a bout tender and an easy pack out!