Thread: Maud boat launch

Default Maud boat launch

Anyone know what’s going on out at maud? The entire launch is blocked off by concrete blocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

The launch is on native land. Apparently the recent burned out car and garbage was the straw that broke the camel's back and they shut it down. That's the rumor on facebook anyway. With that kind of behavior out there it was only a matter of time before this happened. We might need to start petitioning the state to build a launch on state land, or people will have to access from Jim Creek.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

This is tremendously disappointing. Another unfortunate example of a select few that ruin access for others. I’m not a facebooker. Anyone know of any groups or clubs advocating for access? Airboaters, moose hunters, fishing enthusiast clubs? I’m already fashioning a letter to state rep. Anyone have any other ideas for trying to regain access to this area?
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

some of the guys on the Alaska duck hunters facebook page have contacted the state reps, and other groups. The more letters they get the better though.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by akdodger View Post
    This is tremendously disappointing. Another unfortunate example of a select few that ruin access for others. I’m not a facebooker. Anyone know of any groups or clubs advocating for access? Airboaters, moose hunters, fishing enthusiast clubs? I’m already fashioning a letter to state rep. Anyone have any other ideas for trying to regain access to this area?

Alaska waterfowl association obviously
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I don’t think the select few are so few anymore

TRUE...........And it will continue to get worse at an accelerating rate. As I have watched happen for the last 49 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    And I bet one of them drags off a barrier, and enters.

guess people will have to work a little hard to hunt in that area, carry canoes down the hill or come up from the knik...i see some good duck hunting in the future out there this year for the people who want to work for it.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Talked to the KPUA manager and he said that the 17(B) easement is just for the road 30ft to each side of the center line, and the historic state access easement down to the lake was never part of the ANSCA conveyance.

It is private property and the Eklutna folks have had enough. However, there has been over 50 years of public trespass access at this location, so a good well funded lawyer filing a class action could open it up under the OR mining law tresspass rules that the State was created with.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Talked to the KPUA manager and he said that the 17(B) easement is just for the road 30ft to each side of the center line, and the historic state access easement down to the lake was never part of the ANSCA conveyance.

It is private property and the Eklutna folks have had enough. However, there has been over 50 years of public trespass access at this location, so a good well funded lawyer filing a class action could open it up under the OR mining law tresspass rules that the State was created with.
    And that could be in the legal system for 15 years. They could build a large condominium project on the Lake in that time frame.

It would seem that the effort to prevent the undesirables has also excluded those that routinely care for and clean up the area. It is a shame that the efforts that the state has made to clean up he area by building a free firing range have not been matched by the native corp. I would assume that the decrease in state trooper presence has emboldened those that wish to trash the area. Has there been any suggestion of video surveillance to identify the bad guys? What about a gate with access made available to those that wish to use the area appropriately? I would pay a permit fee.

Just trying to keep this in everyone's mind. Anybody know any new information? A month and change till go time...

Happy New Year to all of you fowl people. Has anyone heard anything new regarding access to Mud Lake? I'm wondering if there's any reason to be optimistic that the boat launce may open for next season? Anyone from AWA have any updates?

All good questions, my guess is that launch will remain closed. Would be good to hear from some AWA members if they have any updates.

To my knowledge AWA has not heard anything else on it
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

sucks its shut down but it was nice hunting out there without as much competition for opener. People still put in the work to get boats down there around the barriers. Who knows if they did it legally or not. I had a trespass permit so i know i was good. Didn't see many other trespass permits on vehicle dash boards. I used my paddle board and worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    sucks its shut down but it was nice hunting out there without as much competition for opener. People still put in the work to get boats down there around the barriers. Who knows if they did it legally or not. I had a trespass permit so i know i was good. Didn't see many other trespass permits on vehicle dash boards. I used my paddle board and worked great.
    Yeah. I had some good days out there last season too. A couple of years ago I bought an 1854 with a surface drive to help me get waaay out there. I know there are many other options but I'd really hope that the launch will reopen in the future because it is a great wetland system that is close to home.

dodger

Quote Originally Posted by akdodger View Post
    Yeah. I had some good days out there last season too. A couple of years ago I bought an 1854 with a surface drive to help me get waaay out there. I know there are many other options but I'd really hope that the launch will reopen in the future because it is a great wetland system that is close to home.

dodger
    right on. Ya if i had a swamp duck boat i would be out there alot more often but we opted for a ocean duck boat instead. I went out there with once with a buddy and we got way back it some some secluded areas and it was great. I think people were putting in at the knik bridge or trailering their boat to the mouth of jim creek and dumping their boats in there because there was people back on those lakes further back. I think it would be almost impossible to put in at jim lake because there is hardly any room to maneuver a decent size surface drive boat there and then you would still have to portage across the the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    right on. Ya if i had a swamp duck boat i would be out there alot more often but we opted for a ocean duck boat instead. I went out there with once with a buddy and we got way back it some some secluded areas and it was great. I think people were putting in at the knik bridge or trailering their boat to the mouth of jim creek and dumping their boats in there because there was people back on those lakes further back. I think it would be almost impossible to put in at jim lake because there is hardly any room to maneuver a decent size surface drive boat there and then you would still have to portage across the the creek.
    ..... And the portage we hardened years ago, via a DNR grant and much volunteer work, needs work again. (There was far less frequent use at that time.)
    We did the work to save the portage from eroding thru to Jim Creek and creating a mess, dropping the lake level and likelihood of impeding (or ending) the narrow and shallow access into the lake utilized by salmon further upstream.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler