Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maud boat launch

I talked with Hugh Clark today at the gunshow, he's the AWA president and they are working with DNR, fish and game. The plan is to improve Jim Lake, ie parking lot, improve the road, boat launch at Jim lake, improve the portage etc. they have a lot of plans..

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I talked with Hugh Clark today at the gunshow, he's the AWA president and they are working with DNR, fish and game. The plan is to improve Jim Lake, ie parking lot, improve the road, boat launch at Jim lake, improve the portage etc. they have a lot of plans..
    Thanks - that all sounds good.

I talked with AWA about 1 1/2 or more ago (I believe it was Hugh - would have to check my docs) and they did seem very interested in a decent future for the area.
    As I have previously related to folks, statewide head of DU had "..... no time to deal.." with issues in the area during KRPUA Plan development, which was a big disappointment.
    I believe there is a 10 hp limit on Jim Lake from April 15 to August 9.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

Thanks for the update guys. This is encouraging news
    ďThe perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.Ē Walter Cronkite

The Jim Lake improvements, as a solution to the mud lake access, are unacceptable unless someone restricts access to the swam lake and jim creek area to 15 hp or less all year. Only people with airboats will be able to utilize that area. I am tried of being patient. This is not a native corp problem. The state should have never turned over that land without adequate public input and access to mud lake. The state will do nothing, ADF&G will do nothing. We should get the news out there and make this a huge headache for some of our elected officials.

Quote Originally Posted by cblaney View Post
    The state should have never turned over that land without adequate public input and access to mud lake. .
    The state never owned that land. The land was granted to Enklutna Corp from the BLM due to ANCSA (alaska native claims settlement act) on October 6, 1988. There are specific encumbrances/easements on the property (which is the road and other trails). If you know how to look up recorder information on the DNR website look up book 563 page 720 and you can read the patent.

While your on the recorders website i would also read the mud lake conservation easement document number 2014-024084. This basically allows only specific activities to occur in the easement areas. Its a longer document but you will get the idea after reading it.

And also air boats are not the only motorized boats that can get in there. You can boat up the knik or put in at Jim creek where everyone fishes off the knik.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

No you can not get up from the mouth even at high water. Fish and game got approval to launch their boat at mud lake. At this point who ever is to blame is not really going to get this fixed. We are entitled to legal access to all navigable water ways in Alaska. I suppose some lawyer may argue that but Alaska’s resources are for all of us.

You do have legal access to the lakes from the Knik River. Just because your boat canít make it doesnít mean that some one else has to let you through their property to access it. If you had a piece of property on the kenai I canít just walk through your yard to get to the river right.

I have hunted that area as well but complaining because eklutna got sick of the garbage at the launch and blocked it off is not going to fix the problem. Especially when they arenít doing anything illegal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    You do have legal access to the lakes from the Knik River. Just because your boat canít make it doesnít mean that some one else has to let you through their property to access it. If you had a piece of property on the kenai I canít just walk through your yard to get to the river right.

I have hunted that area as well but complaining because eklutna got sick of the garbage at the launch and blocked it off is not going to fix the problem. Especially when they arenít doing anything illegal.

Also I know people go up Jim creek from the Knik with mud motors. I have seen it during hunting season and fishing.

No you can not get up from the mouth even at high water. Fish and game got approval to launch their boat at mud lake. At this point who ever is to blame is not really going to get this fixed. We are entitled to legal access to all navigable water ways in Alaska. I suppose some lawyer may argue that but Alaska’s resources are for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by cblaney View Post
    Its private property.. state troopers will tell you the same thing.. by your logic we should be able to trespass on peoples land to access lakes, rivers and creeks. where were you when phuc ktards we're destroying that area? I'm also guessing you haven't read about the big improvements taking place out their this yr starting in April..

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Its private property.. state troopers will tell you the same thing.. by your logic we should be able to trespass on peoples land to access lakes, rivers and creeks. where were you when phuc ktards we're destroying that area? I'm also guessing you haven't read about the big improvements taking place out their this yr starting in April..
    What big improvements are you referring to?
    ďThe perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.Ē Walter Cronkite

Quote Originally Posted by akdodger View Post
    What big improvements are you referring to?
    probably talking about the jim lake launch improvements. People are just going to have to work a little harder to hunt the areas they hunted before. There is nobody to be mad at other then the few individuals who ruined it for the rest of the people. You can still use the mud lake launch. Its easy, just get a trespass permit from eklutna. People carried their boats down on opener last year. I hiked down my paddle board and we all shot ducks. Thats one of the things that makes us good hunters, we have the ability to adapt to changes and make things work.

Iím guessing some of these folks have never portaged a boatat duck lake?? Now that is one hell of a portage and I did it with a 15 footerand 20 horse motor. From what I read AWAis going to work on a portage out of Jim Lake to access the other lakes. You caneither be part of solution, help AWA with this portion of the project. But Iímsure some folks will find something to Bi tch about regardless. But will reapthe benefits from the few volunteers trying to make access better for everyone.But hey thatís usually how it goes anyhow.. For you guys wth20 foot boats where are you hunting now? You sure in the heck aren't hunting Duck Lake.

Please post here when help is needed for the improvements at Jim Lake. I am more than willing to help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12