Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hey those might be the bears! Kill them!!

Quote Originally Posted by AKBC View Post
    I completely agree that wild brown/grizzly bears are part of what makes Alaska great. Bears are the coolest animals I encounter and I love knowing they are there and seeing them in the wild.

My post was specifically about the problem bears in Eagle River and that is why I bolded "these bears." In the last two or three months alone, they have killed one man, injured another, and were killed for eating trash in residential areas. Those are the bears I was referring to in my earlier post.

After considering your post and the one by the other guy, I am going to revise my statement that they are "worthless." Considering the hiker death, injury to the searcher, and public money that has been spent, it is obvious that these Eagle River bears have (had) negative value to society. How many is it now that have been killed in that area recently; six?
    Just to be clear, for those who might not realize it, but the brown bears that use South Fork Eagle River -- where the recent fatality and mailing occured -- are subject to hunting mortality. Individual brown bears utilize a very, very large home range; in some instances, up to 2,000 square miles. Therefore, brown bears that use South Fork Eagle River are bears that are hunted.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick940 View Post
    Just to be clear, for those who might not realize it, but the brown bears that use South Fork Eagle River -- where the recent fatality and mailing occured -- are subject to hunting mortality. Individual brown bears utilize a very, very large home range; in some instances, up to 2,000 square miles. Therefore, brown bears that use South Fork Eagle River are bears that are hunted.
    Agree, I had the Chugach State Park brown bear tag (DB 470) this year. I did not see a single other hunter in the field in either the fall or spring season. My understanding is that on average there is one brown bear killed per year in that very large permit area. In contrast, ADFG killed 5 or 6 bears in Eagle River valley alone.

I am sorry someone got killed, and that someone mauled by stepping in front of a charging bear that was going to take down a female searcher. I don't see how bears only have value as a hunted animal, and I disagree with the attitude that we simply need to kill more of them. Eagle River valley encompasses a lot of wild land and the rather recent growth of ER has crowded the land down to the river in many places where it was quite populated with bears. When I lived in ER, I was very careful when hiking and realized it was thickly inhabited by bears. Encroaching on habitat that has such wildlife is a given with the growing population, but most people I know who live here enjoy the wildlife, and the thrill of seeing the animals. I am not completely apprised of what happened with the hiker being killed, such as it was never revealed if there was a moose kill close by. Would it matter now? No- but I would like to think people should learn from things.

I would never profess to know as much about bears as many on these forums, and my knowledge of them comes from watching them, not hunting them, so my attitude may be askew. I have been around many bears and I have not seen one be territorial except around kill sites/food or bedded area. The charge that mauled the searcher could have been guarding the kill site of the hiker- I don't know. I do know that it took extreme bravery for the guy to step in front of his cousin to take the force of the bear. No need to discuss how they were prepared while searching- that has been discussed.

I find it interesting that 'experts' were discussing how many bears live out there, but then decide to kill the ones that were simply seen on a trail and were acting like bears (popping teeth and a short bluff charge in a highly vegetative area). I personally find it a shame to simply kill them, and yet I understand that public safety was taken into consideration.

I have bears in my neighborhood and still have idiots leave trash out days in advance of being picked up. We are the ones who have habituated the bears to easy pickings, and the bears that were shot weren't even in the trash. One thing about any city or town in Alaska, is that wild critters are in our immediate midst. I think Jake and others are right about having more open hunting to reduce the numbers, but I really find the bears to be a symbol of Alaska and the wonder of living in a place where we still have a chance to experience them. I do not think I am Timothy Treadwell (though I have been to where he was killed while searching for bears), and I have almost pooped my pants a couple of times when around the bears way closer than planned, but I love having them around. It is part of what living here means to me and I wouldn't trade that for the safety of anywhere.

Sorry for the rant.

This problem will only get worse. More and more humans will move into that area, making all the more frequent bear mauling's. We need to start from the problem is humans. It is a human problem, not a bear problem.

these Eagle River bears have (had) negative value to society.
    Since you’re (we’re) in the “considering this n that” mode...
    Let’s consider this...
    Has ANYONE considered the mere fact that the Eagle River corridor has been a bear highway/corridor from the Chugach’s to the inlet/flats for oh, I don’t know, maybe 1000 yrs or so?
    The bears are going to continue to follow suit...
    Why? They’re bears!!
    Us humans and our encroachment best accept the fact that this “problem” has not only been going on for a millennia, but won’t stop anytime soon...
    I’m perplexed that some folks these days are actually dumbfounded by this “crazy bear activity”..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Our fish and game, doing us proud. Again.
    Shoot first. Ask questions later.
    Maybe F&G should get a few DNA samples first

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Is it the bears that are the problem.........or........is the millions of humans that are the problem.
    You saying those gunners in choppers should have been going after hoomans instead?
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick940 View Post
    Personally, I'm not a fan of how the State is dealing with bear/human conflicts and especially the situation with last year's black bear incident and this year's brown bear incident. Definitely not a fan of the management mentality that's portrayed by some of the new, incoming ADF&G personnel, whether it be toward bears, sheep, moose, caribou, whatever.
    I agree with you about the "management mentality" you are referring to, specially the way F&G manages the moose population around Fairbanks and vicinity (specifically the antler-less hunts before and in the middle of the moose season).

In the area I hunt on the Elliott, we used to hear large packs of wolves at each side of the ridge. That was 12-14 years ago. My friends and I often saw grizzly and black bears on the ridge, and their tracks on the muddy trail. Even wolves would walk though the brush by the campsite. I could sit in the middle of my campsite and listen to bull moose respond to my calls. I used to kill a moose each year, and lots of chances to choose the right one (I hunt for meat, not trophies). Then F&G started the youth early hunts, and right after the killing of cows. Nowadays the hunting season is much of a camping trip my fiends and I engage in. Nowadays the wolves and bears are gone, and so the moose. One of my friends killed a bull four years ago.

The area I am referring to is not far from Washington Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    Since you’re (we’re) in the “considering this n that” mode...
    Let’s consider this...
    Has ANYONE considered the mere fact that the Eagle River corridor has been a bear highway/corridor from the Chugach’s to the inlet/flats for oh, I don’t know, maybe 1000 yrs or so?
    The bears are going to continue to follow suit...
    Why? They’re bears!!
    Us humans and our encroachment best accept the fact that this “problem” has not only been going on for a millennia, but won’t stop anytime soon...
    I’m perplexed that some folks these days are actually dumbfounded by this “crazy bear activity”..

Yes sir- exactly my point. I have only been here 18 years and the growth there has been amazing Used to be quite a bit of room towards the river, but now it is cram-packed.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    Yes sir- exactly my point. I have only been here 18 years and the growth there has been amazing Used to be quite a bit of room towards the river, but now it is cram-packed.
    Before the pipeline, before it was part of the city of Los Anchorage, before there was a New Glenn Highway, before there was the Old Glenn Highway, back when there was no road to Los Anchorage and you had to access Los Anchorage by driving trough the military base, it was know as Buzzard Gulch by the few homesteaders that lived there. (It was called "Buzzard Gulch" for the thousands of eagles. Later became Eagle River.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBC View Post
    There are too many around anchorage and eagle river and I am good with them getting cleaned up. My only complaint is that they should liberalize hunting opportunity instead of ADFG having to shoot them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
    Point well taken and fully agree that a proactive approach is far better than reactive.
    I fully agree with AKBC and Carnivore. Too many bears in Anchorage. So thinning them out in Anchorage is not a problem in my opinion. Bears are smart animals. After a few of their buddies start getting shot, rest assured, the smart ones will start thinking twice about coming out in broad daylight. I live out in the valley and there are plenty of bears out here, but you rarely see them. They've become educated. Any bear that shows his face around my house is as good as dead. I got little kids that play out in the yard. I ain't messing around.

It’s ok everyone. The man eater bear was killed today right by the eagle river bridge.

Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    It’s ok everyone. The man eater bear was killed today right by the eagle river bridge.

Awww, so cute, he's sleeping.

Your clients are getting younger.

What we need are just some more laws.

Thats all, then the Bears will have to obay and we can all live in harmony, as Nature dictates.

Ask Nancy Pilosi, that Sow could conger up laws that only Bears understand.......might get Chuck Schumer in on this too,and, because they hate racial profiling, the LGTB Bears will get fair treatment too.........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123