Thread: Fishing Info please

Question Fishing Info please

First off I want to thank everyone for all of the wonderful posts I have been reading so far, the info that is on this forum is great. We will be visiting the beauty of Alaska Aug 4-11 I am wondering what to bring as far as gear? We are staying in Coopers Landing 3 days and Seward 3 days and will be trying our luck on the Kenai.
    What type of fish are in these places at this time?
    First question is baitcaster or spinning reel ?
    What size line would be best for the fish we are likly to be catching this time of year?
    What lures should we bring or is there a live bait that works better?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Default fishing help

There are reds/trout/dollies in the Kenai and silvers in Seward.

As far as spinning/baitcaster....it doesn't matter. Whatever you're comfortable with.

Personally I use 17 lb. on a baitcaster for both silvers and reds. (Because I only have one baitcaster.) Use whatever will bring in a 6-11 lb. salmon out of a fairly strong current without tangling up with the next guy that's 6 feet away from you. (because he will be)

The area you'll be fishing on the Kenai will more-than-likely be fly fishing only if you're staying in Cooper's landing. That especially means no live bait. When you go to Seward, book a charter. Read the regs before fishing anywhere.

Good luck

Default Lures?

Can we use Vibrax / Blue fox spinners ?? We have a charter booked in Seward but will be in Coopers Landing first. Is there any kind of nightlife in the area also ?

Default Read the REGS

Like I said, if you're staying in Cooper's Landing, the area you'll be fishing in will probably be fly-fishing only. The Russian River and the Kenai River until you get down to the powerlines are flies only. Down from there, sure, you can use single hook arificial lures. You can find this info on page 53 of the regs. I can't say I know of any "nightlife" there. I go there to fish. Starting a fire and swapping stories is the only nightlife I need.

Talking As AKNATER said...

Campfire & Stories -- CAVEMAN TV AT ITS BEST!!

Default nightlife

Yes. Catching more fish, cleaning fish, cooking fish, eating fish.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

they sell the popular flies for fishing the Russian at trustworthy hardware in Soldotna for 25 cents apiece, the other tackle is pretty reasonably priced as well. Bring stuff that you like but I would stop in there to get other stuff because as we all know you can never have too much fishing tackle.

not sure I understand about using flies. Do I have to use a fly rod for fishing near Coopers Landing?? or are there flies that can be used with a baitcasting rod and reel ?

Default "flyfishing"

Yes, you an use the "flies" on spinning or casting gear. The restrictions call for a hook gap size maximum (check the regs), and the gear is either a fly on that hook or a piece of colored yarn. You use a weight from 1/4 to 1 ounce above that, flip it upstream, and let it bounce downstream, then do it again. Again, as mentioned before, check the regs for the area you will be in. But the fly gear can be fished with any type rod/reel.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

I found the following info going through the regs.. Is this what you are talking about ?

Gear for fly-fishing-only waters: In waters designated as fly-fishing-only waters, sport fishing is permitted only as follows: (1) with not more than one unweighted, single-hook fly with gap between point and shank of 3/8 inch or less; (2) Weights may only be used 18 inches or more ahead of the fly; (3) Beads not attached to the fly are not allowed

By the way you guys are awesome with all of the help

Default Yep

THat is the reg nick was referring to. Some areas (russian river) have fly-only rules some don't. Even within a river system it can and will change.
    You will be fishing red salmon (sockeye) in the Kenai, and they don't bite (well that is an arguement waiting to happen but it's the truth for the MOST part)
    Most people do what nick describes and it's called "flossing". You basically hope a red swims by when the hook is going by them, the line gets in the mouth, the current pushes the line back and the fish swims forward, and you catch the fish. In cystal clear water people have told me that reds will bite. IN the murky, cloudy Kenai I have my doubts. Silvers will be starting in the Kenai, but will be in Seward at resurrection creek and off the waterfall in town, and the culverts in town.

Nightlife....Cooper landing has a small bar (I think). Before Cooper landing (coming from Anch) there is a place called sunrise inn, that sometimes has bands. (10 min away). After Cooper landing there is a bar at sterling. On Kenai lake (before Cooper landing) there is a bar that advertises bands. I have never been to any of them.....oops stopped by Sunrise and saw a band once.

Seward has a ton of places. Anchor Inn is my fav. There is also the Pit outside of town, and I will WARN you that it gets crazy. If you are there on a sunday a guy named "hobo jim" plays at the anchor (I think that is they name....or it is the yukon Bar I can't remember) He is simply awesome, and a true alaskan singer. If you are really feeling your oats go look for the " L " shaped pool table. (warning there are about 12 bars in seward and only one has the special table. ) True fact.

Isn't the Anchor Inn in Whittier?

I'm going to be at Coopers Landing Aug 3rd and 4th then on to Soldotna. Use Coho flies with a gap between tip and shank no greater than 3/8". You'll be flossing reds so color does not matter, however when I was in Soldotna at RW's in 06 royal blue yarn flies worked the best?

are there that many fish in the river so that this "flossing" actually catches fish ??

I have to be nice because I know that you've never been up here to Alaska....but YES!!!!!! There are enough fish. The Kenai has been producing close to a million reds a year for the last 20 years. There are 2 major runs of sockeye (red) salmon, so timing is a factor, although with 35-40,000 per day going by the sonar at the lower Kenai that last several days, I'd say the odds of them being there the same time as you are looking good. When they're in....lining, flossing, whatever you call it, WILL catch your limit. To be honest, if you don't (when they're in) everyone has the right to make fun of you. (at least in our heads, because we do.)

I think you'll be fine Kevin!!! Just use plenty of weight so you can feel your fly bumping along the river, and when it stops, feels different, something pulls, or for no reason at all even....PULL!!!!!! Just try to contain yourself when you hook one. Sometimes when a rookie hooks up for the first time,they tend to forget they were fishing next to a seven-year-old girl, her little brother, and grandma...and that their blind excitement could knock somebody else into the river. ok...I'm exaggerating, but stranger things have happened. Most people are pretty cool about offering help, even if you don't want it...so, just have a good time and enjoy catching fish. I'm sure you will!!! HAVE FUN!!!!