Thread: New cabin pictures

Supporting Member

Default New cabin pictures

Hello all. I have been following this form for years while I have been building my family’s Alaska dream cabin. This has been a fun and exciting project. I thought I would show you a few pictures of our cabin now that is near completion, well I guess it will never be done as we all know. I purchased the 6 inch three sided logs for this 16 x 24 log cabin from Popperts Millwork just north of Wasilla, phone number 907-376-8774. This cabin has 10 foot side walls so that I could put in a full loft upstairs. The best part I like about this design is that I do not have to have a center post to support the roof and a drip line that allows the snow and rain to end up a good distance away from the cabin. Thank you to all those who have supplied information to this forum and helped me learn through the years, now it’s time to give back a little. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Supporting Member

Default Some more pics, trying to get right.

More pics trying to get it right.

Supporting Member

Try again . Guess down side up is better than nothing.603528B0-5677-47F2-9DF7-698A1684B083.jpg

Awesome looking cabin! Although most people put the roof on the top of the house instead of the bottom (lol). No seriously, looks nice. Good job.

Nice job. Roughly what part of Alaska.......???

Your steps/ladder to the upstairs is built like mine. you might look at getting some handicap hand rails and bolting them on for ease of a handhold for the steps. Also they look nice .

I like how you did your loft. What did you use for your ridge?

Supporting Member

Actually those are temporary steps. I plan on installing fold up attic stairs. We are going to move the food pantry upstairs. Then fold up steps when gone. More bear proofing. I am also planning on an elevator, my wife has a handicap and steps are problematic. I will mount a 12v atv winch from ridge to a frame made up of 1-1/4” pipe over 1” pipe. Attached from roof to bottom floor with pipe flanges. I’m just under 20 feet.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I like how you did your loft. What did you use for your ridge?
    Rookies ! The ridge is made from the 6” logs. Lap joints with titibond 3 and timberlock screws. I am also going to install 3/8 galvanized bolts with large washers for more compression strength. Attachment 96319Attachment 96319

Supporting Member

Rookies as in me and a computer.

Supporting Member

Attachment 96322Attachment 96323Some foundation photos. Creosote, cedar telephone poles. Drilled 4-5 feet bachfilled with premix cement. Generator shed in back . Fully insulated with barrel stove and used as a cooler during moose season. Fire up fridge with door open and freezer wide open. Also have a cooler that heats cools on 12 v. Cold beer at night. Yule logs on the tv.

Quote Originally Posted by momspond View Post
    Rookies as in me and a computer.
    Yes. Your pictures are not there yet.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"
    2018 12' Moto Jet "River Pup"

We have a fold up attic stairs and with very little use over the years they have not held up well . The metal that the springs attach to have a tendency to bow inward.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    Your steps/ladder to the upstairs is built like mine. you might look at getting some handicap hand rails and bolting them on for ease of a handhold for the steps. Also they look nice .

Ha, same problem with same drop down stairs.
    Avoid them.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com