Thread: Nelchina

Default Nelchina

Sorry if this is duplicate but anyone hve the stats numbers of early vs late hunters? My permit says its good sept 1 to 20. So did splitting the seasondivideup the permits.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

They split the permits to an august and September dates to alleviate some of the issues they were having out there. Permit numbers should be the same. Of course there is no limit on tier tags. The draw is still the same number for example 2000 permits issued just some are for august and some sep.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    They split the permits to an august and September dates to alleviate some of the issues they were having out there. Permit numbers should be the same. Of course there is no limit on tier tags. The draw is still the same number for example 2000 permits issued just some are for august and some sep.
    I believe it's the other way around , DC485 draw is open Aug-Sep, Tier I, ie RC561 is August, RC562 is September.

Quote Originally Posted by rsalzwedel View Post
    I believe it's the other way around , DC485 draw is open Aug-Sep, Tier I, ie RC561 is August, RC562 is September.
    I knew they split one up. Thought it was the draw but it makes sense to split the tier.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

thanks, I wondered if anyone had the numbers of the split. Is it 50/50 or more late or early hunters?
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

My wife and me have the DC485 permits and I find nothing about a split and believe the season for us will run from August 20, to September 20, barring an emergency closure.

We are going to shoot two Boone & Crockett bulls about mid morning, one in velvet and one hard horned. They will be close to an ATV trail so we do not have to pack them and it will not be raining and no darned bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    My wife and me have the DC485 permits and I find nothing about a split and believe the season for us will run from August 20, to September 20, barring an emergency closure.

We are going to shoot two Boone & Crockett bulls about mid morning, one in velvet and one hard horned. They will be close to an ATV trail so we do not have to pack them and it will not be raining and no darned bugs.
    Yeah, the split is for the Tier I season, not the drawing permit. The goal was to spread the pressure out a bit, since something like 10,000 people put in for the Tier I tag. I'd be interested to see how the numbers shook out, as people could choose the season they wanted.

As for your plan, that sounds perfect! If there's going to be a third massive bull with that group, let me know where and when. My 10 year old has his first tag this year, so we'll be doing much the same.

Brian, and my wife and me will say a prayer for your son and his success!

Thanks! It was pretty fun getting his golden tickets in the mail. He also pulled an any bull moose tag in 16B, so it will be a busy season almost exclusively focused on him. Should be an adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Thanks! It was pretty fun getting his golden tickets in the mail. He also pulled an any bull moose tag in 16B, so it will be a busy season almost exclusively focused on him. Should be an adventure!
    Giddy up! Cant wait, mine is only 22mo! Hahahaha Ill be on my bike I bet looking to fill my draw tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, the split is for the Tier I season, not the drawing permit. The goal was to spread the pressure out a bit, since something like 10,000 people put in for the Tier I tag. I'd be interested to see how the numbers shook out, as people could choose the season they wanted.

As for your plan, that sounds perfect! If there's going to be a third massive bull with that group, let me know where and when. My 10 year old has his first tag this year, so we'll be doing much the same.
    No majority of folks didn't read the 1st page of the supplements. Just applied, how I know guy at work goes man I can only hunt from 10agust to 31 August. His whole plans going up there on Labor Day weekend to hunt were shot in the *****

Surprisingly, the split was almost 50/50.

RC561 - 4,592 tags
    RC562 - 4182 tags

I didn't care.. I just hunt after it snows. My daughter-in-law shot one around New Years a couple years back and it was as good of eating caribou as I've had. No bugs, very few other hunters, no meat care worries, easy access.. perfect.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks anchskier that was what I wondered. Sounds like it will break up the hunters in half. Except for the 5000 or so drawing permits.....

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post

You know, sometimes things work out in ways that will surprise you. Three years ago, two of my sons spent a long day searching for caribou behind Eureka with zero animals spotted. I was picking up my 4-wheeler at the gravel pit when they rolled in just before it started to turn a little dark (about Aug. 20th, IIRC.) They were moaning about not seeing a single animal the entire day, so I told them of a lone bull I'd got a glimpse of as I pulled into the pit a few minutes before. Long story short, the bull was the only B+C caribou (408) ever entered, at least up to that point, in the Wasilla Sportsman's Warehouse Big Antler contest. My son won a free shoulder mount and a $500 gift certificate to S.W. He shot it about 3/8 mile east of the gravel pit, less than 200 yards from the Glenn Highway. They rode their 4-wheelers right to it, it wasn't raining, and the bugs weren't too bad.

So your plan might not be all that far-fetched. Good luck.

Akroper see if you can find a pic of the b and c caribou! Nelchina bulls can have amazing antlers. Seen nice ones coming from chicken also.