Thread: 300Savage since I have it I wanna use it

Default 300Savage since I have it I wanna use it

For all around use here in AK, what would you suggest for a bullet to run out of my Model 99 300 Savage.? Not for big Bears, but for Moose, and Caribou.

130gr TTSX for blackbear and bou, 165 partition for moose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 358wsm View Post
    For all around use here in AK, what would you suggest for a bullet to run out of my Model 99 300 Savage.? Not for big Bears, but for Moose, and Caribou.
    Yes, I forgot to mention Black Bear.

I found that 200 grain A frames shoot the tightest group I am not sure why they are more expensive and kick harder.

I have a long, long history with the 300 going back to the 1960's, though I don't own one right now. Darn it, anyway. I still load for a couple of buddies with fine examples. Back in the day, I did a whole bunch of comparisons of loads, trajectories and downrange energy. Came up with the 165 as the best all around because in that small case the 180 is so much slower. I was hunting with about 10 guys in those days, all of whom but two were using 99's in 300. They all settled on the 165, too. And all of us got our allowed 2 deer per year using them.

My buddies up here have bought my line and they're both shooting 165's too. Partitions all the way. They've accounted for quite a number of moose and at least 3 elk that I know on top of a mountain of deer while using that load. Can't tell you how many head of big game all that jawing accounts for but call it way far on the other side of 100 with all the deer added in. Haven't had reasons to try bullets other than the Partition in the 300, so I can't tell you a thing about them. The modest velocities are such that the Partition isn't going to give any of the problems claimed for them at much higher velocities.

Bottom line, the 300 has plenty of geewhiz for about any game shooting you'd want to do with a 308, it's so close ballistically. Not fancy, not fast, but not a wimp either. Darned fine round, as a matter of fact!
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by 358wsm View Post
    Try a few different weights and brands to see what is most accurate in your gun. I find that you can improve the accuracy with some experimentation, and of course hand loading takes it to another level because you can tune the load to the gun.

With that said I think it is hard to beat ~180 gr high BC hunting bullets in the 300 for most applications. My gun likes 180 gr Berger Elite Hunter or Barnes LRX in 175 gr.

I had a Savage 99 .300 when I was a kid back in the early 70s. It is one of those, '****, why did I sell that rifle' things. The Savage 99 is a sweet rifle. I also had one in .308 and screwed up and sold it also. At that time I was growing up in Idaho and killed many whitetail and black bear with those rifles. Wish I had never sold them!
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

I have two 99s in 300 Savage. The EG seems to prefer 150 grain, the T likes 180.

I still have my Dad's Mod. 99 Savage .300 and will pass it on. Dad used it for many years "out West" and then got an early Mod. 70 in .264 Winny and fell in love with it. His buddy Ken stayed with it even after we all moved to Alaska. I am thinking they mainly used factory Rem. 150 grain Core Lokts, which was a different bullet then the ones now made.

Maybe I should have added that I do indeed handload.

I've killed Whitetails with just about every combination out of the 300 Savage from 130 grain up to the 180's. Cup and core, TTSX's, Partitions, Balistic Tips, etc. But I've never carried it in Moose country, or in the interior where a mix of Bears reside. It's these larger, tougher, animals that I am wanting to take with my old 300. I know well what to load for Whitetails, but not so much for these Alaskan species. My guess, (and some have suggested) would be the 165 grain class... NPT's, SAF's, and the like seems to be what I need to be looking at, No.?

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I have a long, long history with the 300 going back to the 1960's, though I don't own one right now. Darn it, anyway. I still load for a couple of buddies with fine examples. Back in the day, I did a whole bunch of comparisons of loads, trajectories and downrange energy. Came up with the 165 as the best all around because in that small case the 180 is so much slower. I was hunting with about 10 guys in those days, all of whom but two were using 99's in 300. They all settled on the 165, too. And all of us got our allowed 2 deer per year using them.

My buddies up here have bought my line and they're both shooting 165's too. Partitions all the way. They've accounted for quite a number of moose and at least 3 elk that I know on top of a mountain of deer while using that load. Can't tell you how many head of big game all that jawing accounts for but call it way far on the other side of 100 with all the deer added in. Haven't had reasons to try bullets other than the Partition in the 300, so I can't tell you a thing about them. The modest velocities are such that the Partition isn't going to give any of the problems claimed for them at much higher velocities.

Bottom line, the 300 has plenty of geewhiz for about any game shooting you'd want to do with a 308, it's so close ballistically. Not fancy, not fast, but not a wimp either. Darned fine round, as a matter of fact!

I like this.

Quote Originally Posted by little dave View Post
    I found that 200 grain A frames shoot the tightest group I am not sure why they are more expensive and kick harder.

Will they expand at 300 Savage velocities.?