Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drone intrusion

Default Drone intrusion

I pulled into a popular cove the other day where two 30' Kingfishers were rafted up. They were in one area so I went a different direction. I had been at the location I went to prior to going out to check pots. We were not completely out of sight of each other but depending on anchor swing we were.

Just after dropping anchor and doing some stuff on the rear deck I hear a buzzing overhead. Looking up I see one of their drones sitting up there looking down at me. They did not hail me on the radio and ask if they could do this. I find this an invasion of my privacy and completely offensive.

Had they ask I might of said sure if they were willing to share their footage, but the way it was done, in my mind, was an invasion. Makes me want to rig a drop device on a drone and drop a net over theirs or do some skeet practice in their drone's direction.

Just my feelings about the use of drones and I am not against the ethical and proper use of them.

Honest i don't know how that shotgun went off

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Honest i don't know how that shotgun went off
    The onshore version of this same situation was the subject of a thread on the hunting forum some time ago. My answer's the same. I'd make every effort to shoot it down. Those who wish to argue they have every right to invade my privacy in such a manner can take me to court and argue their case there.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Send American Eagle XM856 drones (62gr. TRACER) to have a "Meet n' Greet".

A full 30 round mag. dump about $7.95

Satisfaction: priceless

NOTE: You don't need to hit it, close will communicate the message.

A Drone crashed and almost hit my pickup at home last week, left it in a box on my property it was gone next morning wanted to talk to owner,did not appreciate a close miss.

It's illegal to use drones in national parks. Makes me wonder about the watery preserves and refuges.....
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

They do make an anti-drone shotgun round.
    But it seems they are expensive and birdshot is just as effective.
    I would have been annoyed as well.
    That just seems so rude.
    And I also vote for shoot it down.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    They do make an anti-drone shotgun round.
    But it seems they are expensive and birdshot is just as effective.
    I would have been annoyed as well.
    That just seems so rude.
    And I also vote for shoot it down.

My guess is that people plan to keep their drone just beyond shotgun range. Which is why I bought six boxes of tracers.

I think DRONES fall under the heading of: DLP justified.

Just fire a shot. Hit it or not, I bet it goes home pretty quick.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Here's something to think about before firing off a shot or two in the direction of that drone...

18 U.S.C. § 32: Federal law governing the National Air Space states that itis a Federal Offense to discharge a firearm at or in the direction of anaircraft. The federal government considers Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) to be aircraft. In effect,anyone purposefully shooting at a UAS, may be breaking Federal Law,not just State Law or Local Ordinance. 18 USC 32 states that a personshooting down a government or commercial drone would constitute aviolation of 18 U.S.C. § 32, that anyone who damages or destroys anyaircraft in flight in the United States has committed a crime punishableby up to twenty years in prison or a fine of up to $250,000.

Federal law states in part: “Whoever willfully…sets fire to, damages,destroys, disables, or wrecks any aircraft in the special aircraftjurisdiction of the United States or any civil aircraft used, operated, oremployed in interstate, overseas, or foreign air commerce…shall be finedunder this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years or both.”

Quote Originally Posted by jbooth View Post
    Here's something to think about before firing off a shot or two in the direction of that drone...

18 U.S.C. § 32: Federal law governing the National Air Space states that itis a Federal Offense to discharge a firearm at or in the direction of anaircraft. The federal government considers Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) to be aircraft. In effect,anyone purposefully shooting at a UAS, may be breaking Federal Law,not just State Law or Local Ordinance. 18 USC 32 states that a personshooting down a government or commercial drone would constitute aviolation of 18 U.S.C. § 32, that anyone who damages or destroys anyaircraft in flight in the United States has committed a crime punishableby up to twenty years in prison or a fine of up to $250,000.

Federal law states in part: “Whoever willfully…sets fire to, damages,destroys, disables, or wrecks any aircraft in the special aircraftjurisdiction of the United States or any civil aircraft used, operated, oremployed in interstate, overseas, or foreign air commerce…shall be finedunder this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years or both.”
    And if it sinks, no evidence, no crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Haha, perhaps.

OK.......then don't hurt the drone.........sink their boats.

I'll see your: "The federal government considers Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) to be aircraft."

And raise you: 14CFR 91.119 (c) "...aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure".

Additionally: "I felt imminently threatened by the drone hovering over my boat. I had no immediate option for retreat/escape". *BOOM* See you in court.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

I get that drone operators have rights.
    I also have rights.
    But in all honesty I feel a little respect and a little common courtesy go a long way in keeping things from getting heated.
    Sure the drone operator could sue for shooting down his drone.
    But he would have a much nicer weekend showing some common courtesy and not having to deal with the issue at all.
    Loosing your expensive toy then the hassle of suing and court time just seem a bit much to me when you could just keep your distance and not worry.
    No sense buzzing others who are just trying to relax themselves.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I'll see your: "The federal government considers Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) to be aircraft."

And raise you: 14CFR 91.119 (c) ...aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

Additionally: "I felt imminently threatened by the drone hovering over my boat. I had no immediate option for retreat/escape". BOOM. See you in court.
    Also, according to 14CFR §107.39

Operation over human beings.
    No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft over a human being unless that human being is:
    (a) Directly participating in the operation of the small unmanned aircraft; or
    (b) Located under a covered structure or inside a stationary vehicle that can provide reasonable protection from a falling small unmanned aircraft.

Sounds to me like you just need to wait until it's directly overhead...

I own a two year old DJI model drone, and they keep a cache on the iPhone or Android phone you're using of all video streaming from the drone to your controller. A live, right at this moment, video stream is saved to the phone. So even if you shot down one of the newer drones, something within the last 2 years of manufacture, you will most likely destroy the drone because it sinks in the water and yet the operator will still have video footage.

Just something to keep in mind.

My wife was on the back deck using the honey bucket. She screamed when she saw it so I shot it. Thinking it had a camera I was just trying to save the world from the possibilities of any photos of her in that position showing up on the internet.

Except for the video it already recorded on the tablet. And if not then I’d expect the shooter would likely sink along with the drone.
    It’s a drone flown by someone enjoying the outdoors. Good grief guys. What are you doing out there you are too embarrassed for someone to possibly see? Get over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    It’s a drone flown by someone enjoying the outdoors. Good grief guys. What are you doing out there you are too embarrassed for someone to possibly see? Get over it.
    "It's ok for someone to hover a drone over your boat and video you, and you shouldn't have a problem with it, because the voyeurs offensive behavior is inherent to their enjoyment of the outdoors, while your right to privacy, safety, and enjoyment of the outdoors is not applicable."

That's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast