Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drone intrusion

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Except for the video it already recorded on the tablet. And if not then I’d expect the shooter would likely sink along with the drone.
    It’s a drone flown by someone enjoying the outdoors. Good grief guys. What are you doing out there you are too embarrassed for someone to possibly see? Get over it.

Current Alaskans idea of enjoying outdoors, involves making a lot of noise, with your Drones, your ATV'thingie, your Boats, your Airplanes, etc. and most not only make disturbing noise they also stink up the outdoors with spent fuel stench.

Maybe they don't care they are ruining other peoples, "Quite enjoying the Alaska Outdoors".

I think the thing about drones is that they're a toy which have an unparalleled ability to make glaringly and dramatically obvious a personality trait which might otherwise not be so readily apparent. Whereas a few years ago, before drones, a disrespectful manner lacking asshat in a distant boat or campsite might have had to expend a little energy to make their disrespect of the people around them obvious; but whereas now, with a drone, they can simply reach right out into your personal space with virtually no effort whatsoever and fly their disrespectful asshattedness right in your face. I'm not sure if disrespectful people are becoming more plentiful in this day and age, or not, but one thing is certain: they have a new annoying tool in their toolbox.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by yanert View Post
    I pulled into a popular cove the other day where two 30' Kingfishers were rafted up. They were in one area so I went a different direction. I had been at the location I went to prior to going out to check pots. We were not completely out of sight of each other but depending on anchor swing we were.

Just after dropping anchor and doing some stuff on the rear deck I hear a buzzing overhead. Looking up I see one of their drones sitting up there looking down at me. They did not hail me on the radio and ask if they could do this. I find this an invasion of my privacy and completely offensive.

Had they ask I might of said sure if they were willing to share their footage, but the way it was done, in my mind, was an invasion. Makes me want to rig a drop device on a drone and drop a net over theirs or do some skeet practice in their drone's direction.

Just my feelings about the use of drones and I am not against the ethical and proper use of them.
    What did they say when you hailed them afterwards complainng about their drone?

Hmmm...fireworks comes to mind. Mortar shells with a large spread of crackers or white stars.

On Edit: Potato gun......just saying.

You have to ask yourself have I ever done anything on my boat while anchored up for the evening that I wouldn't necessarily want on a YouTube video?
    Most of the time the answer would be no.
    We don't all have those fancy boats with heads and showers.
    I have taken a leak over the side of my boat many times.
    Do I want people filming that?
    No, I do not.
    Lots of things I might be doing I do not necessarily want filmed by strangers.
    There is a big difference between being at a public event, say the fourth of July parade, and being filmed by somebody else's drone versus being in a remote cove on my boat out of sight or nearly so of other boats and being filmed by someone else's drone.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Pull...….…………….
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

......................my finger.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post

Current Alaskans idea of enjoying outdoors, involves making a lot of noise, with your Drones, your ATV'thingie, your Boats, your Airplanes, etc. and most not only make disturbing noise they also stink up the outdoors with spent fuel stench.

Maybe they don't care they are ruining other peoples, "Quite enjoying the Alaska Outdoors".
    I take it you walk to your destination, if you drive, your response has no merit
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Except for the video it already recorded on the tablet. And if not then I’d expect the shooter would likely sink along with the drone.
    It’s a drone flown by someone enjoying the outdoors. Good grief guys. What are you doing out there you are too embarrassed for someone to possibly see? Get over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How is buzzing someone's boat in a quiet anchorage enjoying the great outdoors? To my mind that's just as rude as running donuts around someone's boat with a dingy or wave runner.

I know some people find the need to document and publicize everything they do in their lives, but there are plenty of people who just want to get away from that and be left alone in peace and quiet.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I'd get their boat name and numbers, then broadcast them all over the place, even hang signs in the harbor. Pert darned quick folks won't be talking to them and the wakes are going to be coming mightly close. The drone came from a boat, and lots of folks would be interested in WHICH boat. And life could get real interesting for that boat any time they're on the water.

Had a guy here on shore who was getting pretty frisky with his drone. Now he's spending a whole lot of time by himself, and he's had more than one shopping cart ding in parking lots.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Last year I took out four different groups of Boys and Girls Club kids for day in PWS. One of the reasons for the trips were to get the kids away from all the technology and let them enjoy just being outdoors. On one of those trips we spent some time in Blackstone and then we anchored up and headed to the beach. As we were eating our lunch a drone flies over and hovers over us-obviously checking us out. Pretty much destroyed our quite lunch and totally took the kids focus off of the incredible sights. I know these have legitimate uses but I dread the day when we can't enjoy a bit of wilderness without an eye in the sky buzzing around over us. I hate to think what drones could be used for while waterfowl hunting....
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    How is buzzing someone's boat in a quiet anchorage enjoying the great outdoors? To my mind that's just as rude as running donuts around someone's boat with a dingy or wave runner.

I know some people find the need to document and publicize everything they do in their lives, but there are plenty of people who just want to get away from that and be left alone in peace and quiet.
    Well said Paul!
    Nobody's complaining about drones flying around the operator of the drones boat.
    it's when they're interrupting other people's peace and quiet that we get annoyed.
    It just gives me the impression that they're spying on me or something which I don't really care for.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

My personal opinion is this is a problem best dealt with a 3 1/2" #4 buckshot.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    And if it sinks, no evidence, no crime.
    My drone caches video on my phone or tablet.
    There would be video evidence.

However, even as a drone owner I'd shoot it down. ^_^

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12