Thread: Inflatable kayaks: Anyone have experience with air-hauling them?

Default Inflatable kayaks: Anyone have experience with air-hauling them?

Inflatable kayaks: Anyone have experience with them?

I am trying to research inflatable kayaks that could be C-185 air-hauled and inflated on-site. Or maybe even folding kayaks.
    Just something for paddling around a lake while fishing.
    Anyone with actual experience know which ones to avoid ? Which are lighter? Folding vs inflatable?

I have been using a couple real kayaks that I hauled out to a couple lakes and stashed a long time ago, but I want research the inflatable angle.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Why not a packraft?? Easy to transport and very light.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

I'm not afraid to recommend METZLER RIGID INFLATABLES from Germany . . .

Iíd recommend either a pac raft or Soar pro pioneer. Also check out Larry Bartlettís site. Pristine Ventures. He has a few options that might be what you are after
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I use the one man catarafts. Break down nice and the row really nice as well. You wouldn't have problem getting 4 or 5 of them in the 185.

I have also used the aire kayaks and they are nice but a bit heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    I'm not afraid to recommend METZLER RIGID INFLATABLES from Germany . . .
    except they were bought out by Grabbner.

I have an Aire Lynx. At 32# it is easily transported in a C185. The only issue with most inflatable kayaks is that they don't track too well on lakes. You spend a lot of time correcting your direction. Of course, a packraft isn't much better. I prefer my Lynx to a packraft in many incidences due to the much heavier construction. I don't pack it anywhere, but I have used it out of airplanes and off 4-wheelers. The kayak is extremely stable and you'd have to work to roll it over on flat water. As I age, it is becoming more difficult to sit flat in the bottom of a boat like this, so I'm going to glue some d-rings to the sides and build a suspension seat that gets me up higher. I have found them used, quite often in the $750 range.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I'd go with a Pioneer XStream from Larry Bartlett. May be on the heavy side for aviation though.

Yeah I am wondering if two small one-man kayaks or rafts would be better than a two man... When I go fly fishing with two other folks they really do not want to be in each others space. I tried the flolat tubes before. I don't like them because you are so low in the water.

I have a pair of two man inflatable kayaks (NRS OUTLAWS) weigh 34ish pounds and are awesome. I glued a SUP fin replacement pad (ordered from NRS $20 total upgrade) for a SUP board on them and tracks amazing now. I use the 5Ē fin, the bigger one is too much when coming to shore and no noticeable difference in the water. The smaller fin 2Ē wasnít enough for good tracking. While the two man IK floated my wife and I with our 7/9 year old boys, the water was even with the self bailing floor. I have had one for several years now and just picked up the second this year. They live in the bow of my river boat for the kids to play. I also toss them in the ski box on the roof for car camping , easy and fun. PM me if you want to talk about them.

Or you could do this one. Set up for fishing and comes with the fin.

https://www.nrs.com/product/16363/nr...flatable-kayak

Innova makes a series of high quality compact inflatables with Hypalon type fabrics. I have used two of their single place Helios for the past ten years. These are 29Ē wide boats suited to confident paddlers. They weigh 28 pounds and will fit in an airline overhead, or the back of my PA12 easily. Innova is changing their product line, but offers a variety of boats and fabrics well suited to many paddling styles. You might want to google them. Mine donít have fins, but then if your coming over from whitewater boats staying straight is no big deal. Fins and rudders have their place, but they are not always necessary.

My NRS whitewater tandem kayak is s big open self draining barge that weighs 46 pounds. NRS is another good brand as others have indicated.

At one time REI carried Innova. There may be a dealer in the Valley, but itís mostly mail order.

Theres lots of choices but Innova and NRS are among the good brands. Your welcome to paddle these boats if your ever in the Palmer area.

Kokopelli Packraft has a couple interesting videos

I have the 13' Saturn fishing Kayak, very nice , fast, and tracks well. Use it all over Seldovia, out of Whittier on my bigger boat, Kenai lake,
    Buddy borrowed it for Kodiak Br Bear hunt. Bought seats with backs very comfortable.

http://www.boatstogo.com/fishing-inflatable-kayaks.asp

I keep a PR49 packraft in my Citabria pretty much all summer. With pump it only weighs around 12 lbs or so and is a true 2 man raft. I've been using the oar I keep in my plane to paddle around, but it is much easier to maneuver with the double kayak paddle.