Thread: Proficency tests for military bases in AK

Default Proficency tests for military bases in AK

I drew a disabled veteran tag for Fairbanks. Does anyone know if the bases still require a proficiency test prior to hunting and if that test is valid on all bases. I am at JBER quite a bit and I'd like to do it there and still hunt on Wainwright.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Absolutely yes. JBER will give (everyone who drew a tag) one weekend at their choosing where you have to show up with your hunting gear. You first go through an education process where they tell you their rules. Then you pay the "conservation fee". Last you have your bow/black powder/whatever your tag is for, ready for inspection. For archery they want to know the weight/spine of your shafts and broadheads, brand of your shaft and broadhead, if you use a release, pull weight of your bow, and I'm sure I'm missing a few things. After that you will go out on a course and prove you can do basic shooting skills. For archery, at least the non disabled, they have full size moose targets set between 20 and 45 yards. You shoot one arrow at a specific distance and one shot must be done on a knee. They don't set up any unethical shots, it is very straight forward as they want the hunters to succeed both with the test and the hunt. The only difficult thing is knowing the one weekend that they will do the test. Have a great time and enjoy your hunt.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Mr Dave,, if you need a place in the Fairbanks area. I'd be happy to offer you a stay in my RV, only about a 5 minute drive from the Wainwright gate. Have a target you can sling arrows at too. If you need I can run over to post and inquire to what they require.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Mr Dave,, if you need a place in the Fairbanks area. I'd be happy to offer you a stay in my RV, only about a 5 minute drive from the Wainwright gate. Have a target you can sling arrows at too. If you need I can run over to post and inquire to what they require.

Steve
    I appreciate the offer for sure. I have an Artic Fox camper and if I hunt "on post" I'll probably stay at the camp ground and avoid the main gate hassle. If the hunting looks dismal I may run North for caribou.

I have hunted on base twice and have never taken a test. I have never understood the kneeling shot thing. In 50 years of archery hunting I have never taken one. Sitting, once in a while, deer hunting from tree stands but even then I can't remember. Knowing my spine could get interesting. I have some Gold Tip, 75/95 with full inserts that are 3 gpi. That should confuse them. I hope I can take the test somewhere well before heading up. I appreciate the replies. I am just recovering from carpal tunnel surgery and have a lot of practice to do.

Yes Roger hit it all..for the JBER tag I had last year it was around mid August when they did the shoot. Very easy shoot, I had literally gotten my new bow that day and set it up right before going(you're supposed to hunt only with the bow you take the test with), no shots were past 30yds on a huge moose target. It was obvious they wanted all to pass the test. They want to check out your bow, get the info, and supposed to mark your arrows with your IBEP/Hunter eds number. Good luck!

I am taking it this sat at 2pm
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I am taking it this sat at 2pm
    It would be nice if they notified hunters that it was taking place. I read the Wainwright rules, it only says IBEP card required and no test indicated.

I am 90% sure that there is no proficiency test required to hunt on Ft. Wainright. Your IBEP certification is required however. This is not the case at JBER. You must have an IBEP card and do a proficiency test administered by JBER Wildlife Enforcement.
    ROLL TIDE
    28' Raider Offshore w/Twin Suzuki 200's
    MMSI# 338231009

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer17 View Post
    I am 90% sure that there is no proficiency test required to hunt on Ft. Wainright. Your IBEP certification is required however. This is not the case at JBER. You must have an IBEP card and do a proficiency test administered by JBER Wildlife Enforcement.
    They also require me to bring my basic hunters education card with my IBEP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    They also require me to bring my basic hunters education card with my IBEP. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Probably a good thing because the permit department has no way of checking for certifications anyways. An F&G trooper WILL check everything. I even printed my disability letter to have with me.

Took the test today. Couldn’t believe how easy it was. Only issue I had was being 6’3. Two of the shots I had to kneel due to branches in the way. 17 yards was the closes and 28 the farthest. Can’t wait for December.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I've been practicing out to 50 yards for the moose hunt. Last year I missed the buck of a lifetime at 3-4 yards, 20' up in a tree stand. So I set up a permeate stand in the back yard and I have three 3-D targets I have been shooting to fix that problem. Good luck on your hunt Alaska Gray.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    ….Last year I missed the buck of a lifetime at 3-4 yards, 20' up in a tree stand......
    If there's anything I've learned after all these years of hunting, is, that although at the time you may think so.....NOTHING is a given.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Is there a proficiency exam for the muzzle loader tag as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes there is for JBER. Not sure about Ft. Wainwright.
    Quote Originally Posted by rooster85 View Post
    Is there a proficiency exam for the muzzle loader tag as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    ROLL TIDE
    28' Raider Offshore w/Twin Suzuki 200's
    MMSI# 338231009