Thread: AK River Maps

Default AK River Maps

What is your go to source for digital maps now that itís difficult to find paper maps? Iím specifically looking for maps for a Little Nelchina/Nelchina/Tazlina float.

Has anybody done this float in the last couple of weeks?

I use Nat Geo TOPO on computer (they no longer make it, unfortunately) or there are several topo map apps for iphone/ipad that work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    What is your go to source for digital maps now that itís difficult to find paper maps? Iím specifically looking for maps for a Little Nelchina/Nelchina/Tazlina float.

Has anybody done this float in the last couple of weeks?
    If you're looking for online maps for trip planning purposes, check out Alltrails. If you need to download digital topo maps, I get mine from the map locator on the USGS online store. As to paper maps, call the Geophysical Institute in Fairbanks. What they don't have on hand, they can print for you. Unfortunately the paper quality isn't as good as the actual USGS printed maps from Colorado, and the ink can run if it gets wet (they print them on a chart plotter, which is an inkjet printer). Either coat them with a waterproof map coating, or laminate them. I would not go out into the field without paper maps. At a minimum you need them for backup, in case your GPS fails or takes a dive off the raft in a deep hole.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

The little nelchina was running muddy and high today when I drove by. Attachment 96271
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

After talking to Walt at Gulkana Raft Rentals and his visual observation, I decided to postpone the trip due to very high water on the Little Nelchina. This was going to be a single boat trip with just my wife and I and I have enough experience with fast water and wood to know that conditions would probably exceed my risk tolerance. We went to Mcarthy for the 4th instead and had a great time (go for the 4th of July sometime itís very cool).

The Little Nelchina was high but dropping on Tuesday when we drove across and still muddy on Thursday when we returned but approaching normal levels. The takeout at the Richardson Hwy. crossing of the Tazlina has ďRiver Access ClosedĒ signs but the gravel road down to the takeout eddy is still open. I wouldnít want to miss that eddy though. It would be a quick trip into the Copper just downstream.

I have the Nat Geo AK card in a small Mapping GPS. Matched up to a paper topo I can tell which bend I'm on at any time. In Montana I have a 3-4 state topo card it isn't as good as Nat Geo's but works.

My Epson printer's ink does not run when wet. Printed on the right paper works pretty well. I've made up river books for several rivers.