Thread: Murphy, die question

Default Murphy, die question

You said you have dies for the .450-400 3". Were they custom made? I looked on Huntington's site and didn't see them. Also, which bullets did you load for? Woodleighs?

I noticed that Jamison makes brass at about $42/20. Hornady's will be $39/20 I guess, though just like loaded ammo, it's "coming soon".

Thanks,
    Dave

Default 400 Jeff dies

I think all of my N.E. dies are custom or in that rarely ever sold price range. Group G, J, or L. Lots of bucks. This brass is A-square. The last I loaded was with the Jamison brass and I have an order in now for 100 of them. They are the cheapest and a very good buy, it's good brass. I've also used Jamison brass in the 416T, 404Jeff, 458 Lott, 470 N.E., 500 N.E., and they are making my 416 Murphy brass.

Woodleigh bullets are pretty much the standard. It's hard to get tapered jackets to regulate well in doubles. We'll see what Hornady comes up with. The Jeffery ballistics for this one is 400 grains at 2150 fps.(The same os the 404 Jeffery) You'll want to change out the Ruger recoil pad and adding LOP won't hurt. If I were well off or if my wife had a better job I'd own a 450/400 3" double gun. I've loaded for two original Jeffery rifles in this caliber. That was scary. The first time I loaded for this caliber was in a forty thousand dollar Jeffery rifle. I had no data, just brass and dies and bullets and 32 different powders on the bench to choose from. I was able to test fire a few rounds then put 10 rounds shot into a 2" group at fifty. Left and right stacked up. With the fine Ruger No. 1 there will be much less pressure and just about any decent load will "regulate".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0545.JPG  
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks for the info Murphy. If you (or anyone else) comes up with any other sources for bullets, brass, or loaded ammo, please let me know by posting it in this thread. Oh yea, that goes for loading dies too! Links to specific sites would be way cool.

Dave

Dave,

Just to let you know about another bullet source for the 450/400. With the groove diameter of the Ruger yet to be determned (.410", .411", .412") there is another bullet that will work very well in the 400 Jeff. Hawk makes some of the best bullets ever. They are soft annealled copper and pure lead, expansion is controlled by matching jacket thickness to velocity. The make .410" and .411" in 350 and 400 grain and in jacket thickness of .025", .035" and .050". These will be very well suited for the 400 grains at 2000-2400 fps and that's where the Ruger will be. The soft copper and lead bullet will "bump-up" well in the bore and seal even if slightly undersized for the Ruger. Not a finer bullet is made but they aren't designed to withstand higher velocity, you must stay within the expansion envelope.

Their Phone number is 856-299-2800. Ask for Andy, he's one of the owners.
    Last edited by Murphy; 08-09-2007 at 21:15.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks for the info Murphy (Jim)! I was thinking of checking out Hawk bullets, having heard the name mentioned somewhere, now I've got the lowdown AND the phone#! Cool beans!

Dave