Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Windlass

Default Good Windlass

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Good brand of automatic windlass?
    https://www.goodwindlass.com/

Default Good Windlass

Yes, I can give you two people with them on their boat. It's not a "good" review. One is "Stanley" on this forum. He has one on Bloodsport.
    Note, We are the Lonestar drum winch dealer for Ak. A couple recent installs;
    Bk

BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

I am on my 10th season with our Good Windlass - had absolutely no issues with it. When I was selecting a windlass Good was excellent to work with and very accommodating. Additionally, they are made in America and are a family owned business.

One thing to consider if you are thinking about a windlass like a Good, Lewmar, Maxwell. etc (non drum) is how much rode you intend to use with it. Both Maxwell and Lewmar and most others I spoke to have a 300' rode limit for their windlasses. If you use more than 300' of rode with their windlass they say you have a strong possibility of burning them out and they will not warranty them. Good told me of several of their customers who have 3000' or more of rode for wreck fishing off of the east coast.

I have no experience with a drum windlass so I can't honestly compare the two but a drum windlass was not what I wanted for my application.

I've got one on my boat. This is my second season with it. The only real issue I have with mine is the chain gets bound up, typically during the free fall drop. It was also getting bound during the retrieve last year but we seem to have that issued fixed now. It gets bound up so bad I have to hammer it out to free it. I have the chain from Good so I know that is not the issue. Shark Bait, maybe you can weigh in on that. Have you ever had that problem and if so, what did you do to fix it?

Most windlasses like Lewmar or Good require a certain length of drop from windlass to the "pile" of rope or chain. If the anchor locker is so full of rope and chain that there is only 6 inches or 12 inches of space then the chain and/or rope does not have enough time and weight to unkink itself before going through the windlass. I think Lewmar says like a minimum of 2 ft or even 3ft. Not sure, but I think that is the issue. Places like Dewey's sells a 600' set up and most anchor lockers might be able to hold 600' but they do not provide the head room necessary for the windlass free fall to work properly.

Just looked up Lewmar and Good. Horizonal -12" of fall. Vertical 8" of fall.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfNut View Post
    I've got one on my boat. This is my second season with it. The only real issue I have with mine is the chain gets bound up, typically during the free fall drop. It was also getting bound during the retrieve last year but we seem to have that issued fixed now. It gets bound up so bad I have to hammer it out to free it. I have the chain from Good so I know that is not the issue. Shark Bait, maybe you can weigh in on that. Have you ever had that problem and if so, what did you do to fix it?
    GolfNut: I have never had any binding issues with my set up. This may because I have a high quality stainless steel swivel between the chain and the anchor. Both the chain and the line were supplied by Good and the swivel was supplied by the builder. Can you explain your binding issue a little more?

1S1K is correct concerning the space and DROP required for your size and length of your rode. You must have the space to store your size and length of your rode and enough DROP for the windless to operate properly. The table in the GOOD FAQs says you need a space 24" long X 36" deep for 600' of 1/2"line. Not sure where 1S1K found the 8" vertical fall number.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
    GolfNut: I have never had any binding issues with my set up. This may because I have a high quality stainless steel swivel between the chain and the anchor. Both the chain and the line were supplied by Good and the swivel was supplied by the builder. Can you explain your binding issue a little more?

1S1K is correct concerning the space and DROP required for your size and length of your rode. You must have the space to store your size and length of your rode and enough DROP for the windless to operate properly. The table in the GOOD FAQs says you need a space 24" long X 36" deep for 600' of 1/2"line. Not sure where 1S1K found the 8" vertical fall number.
    The builder put a swivel between the chain and anchor this spring and that seems to have corrected the chain binding in the cogs on the retrieve. It still wants to bind when I am dropping anchor, however. It usually binds up and comes to a screeching halt after deploying about 20 foot of the chain after it starts free falling. Not sure why or what is causing it. We thought it was binding because of twist in the chain and that is the reason the swivel was added. Like I said, it seems to have fixed it from binding on the retrieve, but not when it is being deployed. I do have plenty of drop space in my anchor locker.

I like the idea of the drum winch but I want to be able to free-fall the anchor. Thanks for the replies especially about locker room.

Quote Originally Posted by otnotdoit View Post
    I like the idea of the drum winch but I want to be able to free-fall the anchor. Thanks for the replies especially about locker room.
    RD Pull does a freefall model in their drum winch now. I am going to take a hard look at one of them for next spring. I believe it is their Patriot model.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfNut View Post
    The builder put a swivel between the chain and anchor this spring and that seems to have corrected the chain binding in the cogs on the retrieve. It still wants to bind when I am dropping anchor, however. It usually binds up and comes to a screeching halt after deploying about 20 foot of the chain after it starts free falling. Not sure why or what is causing it. We thought it was binding because of twist in the chain and that is the reason the swivel was added. Like I said, it seems to have fixed it from binding on the retrieve, but not when it is being deployed. I do have plenty of drop space in my anchor locker.
    maybe the chain needs some kind of resistance/drag when deploying it out of the locker, the links are lose and just flying around so they kink up and snag in the cogs of the winch? just thinking out loud here. Just put a rope locker under the elactra dyne and use it for hauling the anchor . The guys back east use them to pull not one anchor but 2 anchors when they anchor up on wrecks. I tell them everybody uses windlass's here instead of haulers and they all give me the same answer "why". I was going to be a dealer for Good winches but when they told me "you have to use our rope for them to work correctly" and then told me the cost of the rope i decided against it.
    DSCN4271.JPGDSCN4267.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I install a EZ-4 drum winch on our boat and have had a chance to try it out and so far pleased with how it works. I choose the drum because I didnt have enough free fall room for the rode in the rope locker and because I didnt want 600' of wet line in the boat as the locker was not sealed off from the cuddy. We opted for the free fall option ($100 if I recall) and it allows quite a bot of control as to how fast you let the line out..... free fall sound good until 30' of chain goes rumbling along the deck. You can bump the switch and engage/disengage the clutch. Last item was a anchor turner swivel that rotates the anchor into position to rest in the bow roller.

Maybe I can find a pic with the rode/chain on the drum...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ďNothing worth doing is easyĒ
    TR

On my first season with my Lofrans Project 1000. I had one bind on a retrieval that took some time, but its working well now. I enjoy having the remote control for retrieval. I stand on the bow and make sure the rope is spread out in the locker.

When building the boat, we had the Good windlass as anchor windlass of choice. The builder recommended changing after they had negative experiences with Good, and their complete lack of customer service.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I've got one brand new still in the box if anyone needs one, got it to replace a Lewmar but it was too small for the cut out in my old boat.
    Redleader standing by

Quote Originally Posted by redleader View Post
    I've got one brand new still in the box if anyone needs one, got it to replace a Lewmar but it was too small for the cut out in my old boat.
    What model and price?

What model and price?
    Not a Good brand is Anchorlift.
    Anchorlift Direct
    Windlass Barracuda B912.

Redleader standing by

Everyone has their preference, like bk I prefer the drum winches for simplicity and durability and I am also a dealer for Lonestar anchor winches but the drum winches are not for everyone, the space they take on deck or in a locker is one potential downside. Just like anything on a boat it is usually a trade off with many good solutions

I'm happy with my drum winch sold by Frontier Fabrication. It's been problem free since installing it myself 2 seasons ago. I understand it to be the same design as EZ anchor. It does not have free fall ability but that is not a issue with me. To me trouble free is priority #1. I do not want to go out on the bow and untangle anything....ever! This is so simple there is nothing to get messed up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Predator Control View Post
    I'm happy with my drum winch sold by Frontier Fabrication. It's been problem free since installing it myself 2 seasons ago. I understand it to be the same design as EZ anchor. It does not have free fall ability but that is not a issue with me. To me trouble free is priority #1. I do not want to go out on the bow and untangle anything....ever! This is so simple there is nothing to get messed up.

Awsome custom install PC, our system is similar to the EZ but has been much improved. Iíve been running our winch design 6-7 days/ week throughput the summer for 13 Yearís and itís always been reliable. It gets used everyday and no free spooling feature has never been an issue. Unless someone intends to constantly anchor in over 300í of water itís not necessary. Our clients donít like fishing in that deep of water so we avoid the deep holes most of the time. Whatever drum winch you choose, itís critical to have the correct pulpit design as well to make it work properly. Do NOT use a V groove pulley wheel otherwise it will tend to ball up in the center.

Mel
    North River, Alweld and Phantom Boats, Mercury Marine, FNM Marine Diesel
    Hamilton, Kodiak, Almarine Jet
    Prop, Impeller repair, Planar Heater Sales & Installation
    Visit www.akfrontierfab.com

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Good brand of automatic windlass?
    https://www.goodwindlass.com/
    Yes and I absolutely love it. Easy drop, quick retrieve, customer service is top notch and if you need advice call and talk to Tom Jr or Tom Sr, both great guys and they stand by their product, period.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

That's what I have heard about Good. Thanks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast