Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good Windlass

The motor on my Good windlass seized up a couple weeks ago. It is only my second season and it has limited use. I was anchored in 300 ft' out by Montague and I was retrieving the anchor (chain was almost to the surface) when I heard a change in the pitch of the motor. The speed of the retrieval slowed for about 3 or 4 seconds and then it completely died. I reached under and touched the motor and it was so hot I could't even touch it. Good is sending a new motor but required payment up front for the new one. They apparently want to inspect the old motor to see if they will honor the warranty on it. So we shall see.....

I have looked at several of the models here that people have mentioned. I don't see anything that will hold 600' of 1/2" plus chain.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I have looked at several of the models here that people have mentioned. I don't see anything that will hold 600' of 1/2" plus chain.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

AKGramps I saw that chart. Seems you have to go to the largest unit for PWS. The EZ5 or 6 look about the right size but look huge.

AKGramps I saw that chart. Seems you have to go to the largest unit for PWS. The EZ5 or 6 look about the right size but look huge.
    Its gonna be huge with 600' of 1/2" line and XXX' chain, can you use 7/16"?
    This is what the EZ4 looks like with 580' of 3/8 dbl braid and 20' of 5/16" chain, we may remove another 20' of anchor rode this winter as its pretty full.

I located the winch as far back as possible so it can spool on w/o building up in the middle, I think it helps. The rode lays on the spool quite nice.

What size boat are you anchoring?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TR

24' SeaSport XL. I like 600 foot of rode plus chain. Quite often I fish 300+ feet. There are places out there you can drop anchor in 600' and still drift into shore. So I go with 1/2" and 10' or so of heavy chain. PWS is like Mother Nature, don't screw with her or she will screw you back if your not prepared to be screwed with. 7/16" would probably work.

24' SeaSport XL. I like 600 foot of rode plus chain. Quite often I fish 300+ feet. There are places out there you can drop anchor in 600' and still drift into shore. So I go with 1/2" and 10' or so of heavy chain. PWS is like Mother Nature, don't screw with her or she will screw you back if your not prepared to be screwed with. 7/16" would probably work.
    1/2" IMHO seems excessive for a 24' boat, our 24' Glasply weighs about 7200 pounds loaded with fuel humans & gear, maybe more, I would suspect this would be comparable to your 24' Seasport.
    We bought some Samson line, http://www.samsonrope.com/Pages/Prod...?ProductID=474
    Its no place to go cheap. It was about .50 a foot for a 600' spool. Personally I cannot imagine putting my self in a position where I would have over 2 tons of pressure on the line. Again this is just my opinion and one has to feel secure to sleep at night, with that being said I doubt I would be doing much sleeping if the wind was really howling......
    TR

Funny thing is, the weak link is one of your shackles, or your chain itself. Most shackles are only 6-800 lbs. Tough to get bigger ones through the little links of chain a lewmar uses. The mounting bolts will pull through or shear off.
    Lots of bad things will happen before you get a chance to break a coup!e ton rated anchor line.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

I always thought, gosh I have to have 600’ feet too. But with the lone star GX3 I have 426’ of 5/16 rope with 40’ of chain and i have been anchoring up everywhere I always have before. Nice small package works great for us and should for most everyone else too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

RobB Which unit is that on your boat? Doesn't look all that big.

It's the Lonestar GX3. I love it.

RobB Which unit is that on your boat? Doesn't look all that big.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I’ve been using the EZ Anchor this season and it’s been amazing. I fit 2245 feet of rode on there and have not had any problems. We anchored at 1700 feet for black cod the other day and it went up and down flawlessly. Never have to leave the helm. It also has free fall.

Quote Originally Posted by anchoragebrewer View Post
    I’ve been using the EZ Anchor this season and it’s been amazing. I fit 2245 feet of rode on there and have not had any problems. We anchored at 1700 feet for black cod the other day and it went up and down flawlessly. Never have to leave the helm. It also has free fall.

Nice looking setup, what is your "breakway" at the top anchor shackle? Cant tell in the pic.
    TR

No break away right now, I can pull that shackle on and off if I want a break away or not. Sometimes I don’t want one

Which EZ Anchor model do you have? I'm looking at either going to that or the Lonestar here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by anchoragebrewer View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    1/2" IMHO seems excessive for a 24' boat, our 24' Glasply weighs about 7200 pounds loaded with fuel humans & gear, maybe more, I would suspect this would be comparable to your 24' Seasport.
    We bought some Samson line, http://www.samsonrope.com/Pages/Prod...?ProductID=474
    Its no place to go cheap. It was about .50 a foot for a 600' spool. Personally I cannot imagine putting my self in a position where I would have over 2 tons of pressure on the line. Again this is just my opinion and one has to feel secure to sleep at night, with that being said I doubt I would be doing much sleeping if the wind was really howling......
    You should be fine with 7/16. I ran that on my 25 and it was 9000lbs empty weight, about 11,000 loaded, Run the same setup on my 28 and it's 15500lbs empty, 18,000 loaded.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Dave's Dream of finally never being frustrated with a windless finally came true today with the install of a Frontier Anchor Winch and Pulpit.

North River, Alweld and Phantom Boats, Mercury Marine, FNM Marine Diesel
    Hamilton, Kodiak, Almarine Jet
    Prop, Impeller repair, Planar Heater Sales & Installation
    Visit www.akfrontierfab.com

I think I'll walk the docks today. Sometimes I forget I am in a fantastic place to see what others have done and how they are setup. I know that there is at least one other 27' SeaSport down at the docks with a drum winch on it.

These Lonestar winches are sooooo darn quiet. Especially when we add the chain guard, like the one in the pic.
    Lifetime warranty on the unit and 5 years on the motor.
    Bk

BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

That looks like the sheathing we put on our hydraulic hoses for heavy equipment. If it is it's tuff stuff.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast