Thread: New splash deck for the JB

Default New splash deck for the JB

Just finished a new splash deck on the James Bay. Gear should stay dry now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks great......are you in the business?

A friend here has something similar on his HB but he cut U zippered ports
    for occupants to sit in......

Again....looks great and am contemplating something similar.....

I’m not in business. Just stupid enough to believe I can make stuff on my own. This is a hack job with a home machine. It would have gone smoother but the rubber fabric is heavy. I’ll have to hand sew the U shaped passenger holes due to the lack of room on the home machine. For now, we’ll just role it up a couple feet forward where the passenger seats are are located. I’m still working on the aft section. Next project will be to make decks for the Mac 18’s. I’ll use nylon tent material instead of the heavy rubber stuff. Should be much easier. Hate the thought of drilling holes in perfectly good canoes but it seems to be the best way and the strongest. Wish the picture hadn’t cocked sideways.

You're doing well with your project.

I haven't quite decided how I'm going to do mine.......probably
    in two pieces......a cargo cover and a front deck cover perhaps.

I've been talking with an owner back East that has a shop making him one
    and apparently they do oa lot of em.......I'll keep you posted as to what they
    look like.

Nice work! I have a similar, silnylon cover on my old town penobscot and was wondering how to make something work on a bigger, beamier freighter. What did you end up using for fabric? Would love more details if you're willing to pass them along...

I used the heavy rubberized tarp material and 1 nylon webbing from Alaska Tent and Tarp. Its the same stuff most semi-truck tarp covers are made from. I ordered heavy duty plastic buckles online. Dont remember the source. Youll need a tough sewing machine with a walking foot...and several needles.