Thread: 115 Yamaha fuel question....

Default 115 Yamaha fuel question....

Anyone know if the fuel pump on my 95 C115 Yamaha is strong enough to pump the fuel out of the in floor fuel tanks, through a fuel water separator filter and to the engine? It looks kind of small...the fuel pump.

Also, since this is running mixed fuel, what should the ratio be? I read the factory says 100:1, but also most recommend 50:1??

With that age motor, you're probably due for a new fuel pump. But other than that, it's capable of pulling fuel out of belly tanks with no worries.

50:1 is the ratio you want.

Thanks for your help. Which oil should I use?

I'd go with Evinrude/BRP XD-30.

I have a 99 Yamaha 150 jet and I have been using quicksilver premium plus for years 27.00 per gallon at basspro, never had any problems been cked out at Deweys every spring never a problem found.

Sounds like you have both used the oil you use for a long time, I'll stop at Walmart and see what they have, i'll also look for a new fuel pump here in a little.

I do have water coming out the exhaust is that normal?

Couldn't figure out how to link the video, it is on YouTube (115 Yamaha Outboard Idling by msta999) if you want to see what I'm talking about.

What do you mean by "water coming out the exhaust?" You should have a "pee" stream, of course, and probably a mist coming out of the ports on the back of the motor.

We checked the head temps, they were real close to 120, which according to the Boat Company, is where they should be......He also said to check the base gasket for leaks?? not sure what that is. and for water coming in the lower pan on the starboard side in back.....don't know what that is either....?

Note: these are checks he told me to check to make sure the engine is good.

Good on the 120, and things do look the way they're supposed to in the video. Check all gaskets for leaks, just look for something that doesn't look right. Those are common problems with that motor, that's what he's telling you. Be careful about doing something crazy (like running the Copper) until someone competent thoroughly checks that motor--and even then, think twice. It's no fun being on the Copper with a motor that's not running. Been there, done that.

Quote Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
    Sounds like you have both used the oil you use for a long time, I'll stop at Walmart and see what they have, i'll also look for a new fuel pump here in a little.

I do have water coming out the exhaust is that normal?

Couldn't figure out how to link the video, it is on YouTube (115 Yamaha Outboard Idling by msta999) if you want to see what I'm talking about.
    I would be careful using some of the oil at walmarts, I went real cheap on snow machine oil and froze the engine up, the quicksilver premium is the same oil as the merc brand oil it is just rebranded make sure it says plus on the container that is the one that is synthetic blend.

I didn't see any that said quicksilver plus, so I bought a gal of Evinrude Outboard 2 stroke oil, which was priced in the middle....can't remember the exact name.

That's a great motor. You should not have a problem picking up fuel from a floor tank. 50:1 is best - at that ratio it will smoke a little more but much less likely to burn it up. I always mixed 50:1 and used whatever oil I found without a problem. Most of the time I used the Chevron 2 stroke oil. You should have water out of the pee hole and the exhaust if the water pump is working correctly. Hard to beat that V4 two stroke sound - or power band!

Quote Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
    I didn't see any that said quicksilver plus, so I bought a gal of Evinrude Outboard 2 stroke oil, which was priced in the middle....can't remember the exact name.
    Yea last year I had a hard time finding it too, the most important thing is it meets or beats TW-3 standards, synthetic blend and you are good to go.
    as the other guy said about the chevron oil, I used to use Union unimix two cycle oil many years ago and never had a problem, I would suggest using what ever make you feel comfortable in terms of a 10,000 dollar engine what is a extra five for a gallon of oil.

Anyone know the size of the fuel tanks on my River Runner? 18 ft.