Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rules about flying over residential areas?

Default Rules about flying over residential areas?

Are there any rules about flying times over residential areas? The reason I ask is there are a few pilots in the Sterling area that like to fly around at treetop level and do touch and go's at 11pm. I have absolutely no problems with planes coming in and landing or taking off and leaving but its frustrating when the skies above my house become an airpark when its time to sleep. Play all you want during the day I enjoy watching them fly around and over my house and dream of owning one some day but **** 11pm is not the time to be circling the neighborhood at 100ft.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Are there any rules about flying times over residential areas? The reason I ask is there are a few pilots in the Sterling area that like to fly around at treetop level and do touch and go's at 11pm. I have absolutely no problems with planes coming in and landing or taking off and leaving but its frustrating when the skies above my house become an airpark when its time to sleep. Play all you want during the day I enjoy watching them fly around and over my house and dream of owning one some day but **** 11pm is not the time to be circling the neighborhood at 100ft.
    I'd park my truck in the middle of the strip they are shooting touch n go's on and we would have a talk when they landed and stayed put.

i think it is against the law to obstruct an airstrip.

As a pilot,, my bet is they are practicing during that time because most often the cool evening means calm winds. Many strips have a controlling authority, there are legal means to get restriction put in place. Blocking a runway would not be my approach. Often a simple conversation can resolve many issues.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

.. but **** 11pm is not the time to be circling the neighborhood at 100ft.
    Maybe they are working on their Night Currency.?

I've thought about parking my truck in the middle of K-Beach to stop the traffic during the evening hours but pretty sure I would get an unwelcome visit from the troopers

Get the tail numbers, track down the pilot and talk to him/her about it

But this brings up another question I have, is there a rule/law regarding float planes landing with people on the lake/river?

Are the required to circle "X" number of times to give everyone time to get out of the way?, Or some of type of signal?

Do they have the right of way?

Chez,

There is no legal requirement for the pilot to "circle." There are common sense rules that pilots follow. Big Lake here in the Valley is a good example. Usually very busy and pilots will make a few passes to let people know where they want to land, but there are the jet skiers that can't hear because their machines are so loud and were not in the exact area because they move around so fast. Also in the Valley at Wolf Lake Air Park they are trying to get a designated airport something or other, because all the new houses being built nearby are starting to complain about the airplane noise. Generally pilot's want to be courteous to their neighbors. There are lotsa strips away from people that they can practice at on off hours. You can't fix A-hole.

Oh im not suggesting to block off the runway. But he would certianly see that he was going to have a conversation when he decided to park it for the evening.

Best thing is to just say hi and be nice. Get a feel for who this guy is. He may not have a clue that he is annoying some neighbors.
    If anyone is going to introduce the angry neighbor attitude, let it be him.
    You can take other steps from here,but if you get angry first you get rid of a lot of options for yourself.
    Never know, this guy might turn into a great neighbor and fishing buddy!

Tony....The guys I used to guide for ( I think your know who they are) started to have problems with a few of the neighbors about how early they could take off the lake....those beavers are loud! I can't remember if it actually went to court or not but one way or another they all ended up having to compromise a little. Most of the "newer" residents had to realize that these guys had been flying off that lake for over 50 years. They ended up making it 7am. I don't know if they ever came up with a night time plan. There may be a borough regulation you may want to look into as well.

BTW....I'm in their flight plan where I live now and dang it if they don't wake me up a few minutes after 7 on my weekends...!!! lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearsnack View Post
    Best thing is to just say hi and be nice. Get a feel for who this guy is. He may not have a clue that he is annoying some neighbors.
    If anyone is going to introduce the angry neighbor attitude, let it be him.
    You can take other steps from here,but if you get angry first you get rid of a lot of options for yourself.
    Never know, this guy might turn into a great neighbor and fishing buddy!
    most likely the guy/girl finally got their own kids to bed and finally got some time to themselves

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Tony....The guys I used to guide for ( I think your know who they are) started to have problems with a few of the neighbors about how early they could take off the lake....those beavers are loud! I can't remember if it actually went to court or not but one way or another they all ended up having to compromise a little. Most of the "newer" residents had to realize that these guys had been flying off that lake for over 50 years. They ended up making it 7am. I don't know if they ever came up with a night time plan. There may be a borough regulation you may want to look into as well.

BTW....I'm in their flight plan where I live now and dang it if they don't wake me up a few minutes after 7 on my weekends...!!! lol
    Well I don't want to try and put time limits on the times they can take off and land because as far as I know the runway has been there longer than I have. But I also live far enough away that its not a big deal if they are using the runway as a place to take off and land. My problem is that the airspace above my house is not the place to have airshows at 11pm and later, do it during the day, I enjoy watching it then. I think the people that bought the land on said lake then complained about the noise are in the wrong. They knew that lake was used long before they bought the property for airplanes, kinda like the people that are buying land around snowshoe gun club then complaining about the noise.

Is there someplace that I can look up the tail numbers to see who its registered to?

Is there someplace that I can look up the tail numbers to see who its registered to?
    Yes....http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...umbertxt=12345
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

As always you are a wealth of information. Thank You very much sir.

It would be nice if small planes weren't so noisy. It isn't just the prop either. The exhaust system on many of them is a joke.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

0321TONY: I have a couple questions to help me think of an answer, both as a retired law enforcement person and as a long time pilot.

1. Which runway or airport are they using ?

2. How far away is your house from this runway?

3. How low are they, tree-top plus 10 feet, plus 50 feet or what.

The anti plane yahoos in Homer are on a roll because we get a bunch of out-of-state 135 pilots here every summer who think they have something to prove. All it does is hurt all pilots and these guys will be gone by September to never return.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Well I don't want to try and put time limits on the times they can take off and land because as far as I know the runway has been there longer than I have.
    I understand and not suggesting that, only that it was brought up way back when and they all came up with something they could live with. That's why I say that maybe there's something in the borough regs about flying in residential areas. You know, kinda like something along the lines of building covenantsÖ.not that many adhere to them anyway......lol. But there are what is considered enforceable "quiet times" in most residential areas here on the Kenai...ie, you can't play overly loud music is a subdivision during the middle of the night. Can't see how this is all that much different....it's a residential area, it's loud, and it's late. Perhaps even a call to the troopers might give you an answer?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Default Rules about flying over residential areas?

Sorry I do fly after 9pm..... work is done, sun is out, wind is calm. I do touch and goís, but not on the air park strip. I take my boat upriver late at night too... off work drive to the launch and go to the cabin. Hope my neighbors donít file complaints. I donít mow the lawn after 8pm.

Iím considerate but also work long days and try to enjoy a couple hours of summer. A lot of days, the good weather and days off from work donít line up.

You want quiet hours at every airstrip? Geez where do I live? Probably need more covenants and laws about airports. Maybe just airplanes at international airports...

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    It would be nice if small planes weren't so noisy. It isn't just the prop either. The exhaust system on many of them is a joke.
    +1

cars are required to have a functional muffler. Aren't planes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast