Thread: Dockside sales???

Question Dockside sales???

Are there any commercial guys in Anchorage or nearby (Kenai) that will sell a few whole sockeyes fresh off the boat? Looking to send some to family out of state. I'll fillet.

Thanks

Not likely. Your best bet is probably going to be 10th & M or New Sagayas. I'm not sure of the particulars for salmon fisheries, but if it is anything like commerical halibut fisheries then special paperwork is necessary to sell fish to someone other than a processor.

Default silvers though

I have seen a guy down near the launch at Ship Creek who nets silvers and sells them whole...he's usually got his boat load of fish right near the launch with a sign up. Not sure if I remember correctly, but I think they were like $5 or $6 a fish last year.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

what the .... im pretty sure that sounds really illagle... dipnetting ship creek and then selling them? what is this a illagle commerical fleet in downtown anchorage? LOL

Default I'd Ask Ship Creek Fish Seller Some Questions...

The guy selling down by Ship Creek may be legal, but he has to be able to show you a piece of paper that he received from ADEC saying he is permitted to sell off of his boat as a "direct market" operator. The criteria for his vessel and his operation is quite a bit stiffer (like a sanitation plan and logs) than for the run-of-the-mill drift gillnet rig. Unless he has a permit from them he could get pinched for selling his catch in this manner - not to mention the fish ticket requirements he has to keep up to remain in compliance with ADFG and State Dept of Revenue.

Its your choice, but I appreciate the good products that the people at New Sagaya and 10th and M turn out. Either of them can sell you a well-handled red in many forms (including fillets) and for a few bucks more you have a product you can be proud to send out of state to family (and you can be sure that either place has all of their required paperwork in order). Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    what the .... im pretty sure that sounds really illagle... dipnetting ship creek and then selling them? what is this a illagle commerical fleet in downtown anchorage? LOL
    He's talking about "netting" them from a setnet site on the other side of Cook Inlet, not dipnetting them from Ship Creek. Some of those with setnet sites launch their boats from the Anchorage harbor, thus the reason he would be selling at Ship Creek. Glad you have your radar on, Fishwhacker, but this isn't what it seems.

Ah that makes a lil more sense... i was just laughing inside at the image of a guy pulling up to ships mouth and pulling out his dipnet and going at it until troopers say otherwise... haha

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    He's talking about "netting" them from a setnet site on the other side of Cook Inlet, not dipnetting them from Ship Creek. Some of those with setnet sites launch their boats from the Anchorage harbor, thus the reason he would be selling at Ship Creek. Glad you have your radar on, Fishwhacker, but this isn't what it seems.
    Yes. Sorry, I guess I should have made the distinction. And I assume he's legal and has the proof, as he's certainly not hiding anything and I've seen him there more than one year, but asking questions as noted above is probably a good idea, too.

I wonder how many regs that would break if you were dipnetting Ship, then selling the fish, maybe even to non-residents???
    Last edited by nickster; 07-23-2007 at 09:01. Reason: spelling
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

I seen red's advertised for $3.50 a pound in the ADN classifieds. I think the name of the outfit was Fred's?