Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Kingfisher 2825 Evinrude 300 ETEC Fuel Burn

Default 2012 Kingfisher 2825 Evinrude 300 ETEC Fuel Burn

Hoping you all can help me out some. I recently purchased a new to me 2012 Kingfisher 2825 w/ a single Evinrude 300 ETEC. I have only had the boat out on a few short runs out of Seward, ie Pony Cove, but the fuel consumptions seems high @ 20+ GPH, 22 MPH indicated ground speed, 4400 RPM. Prop is a Rebel 15 3/8 x 17, WOT RPM 5000-5200. I played with the trim tabs and motor trim but that was the best I could get.

Anyone have experience with this setup or have recommendations?

Looks like you are over propped. Should be able to get close to 6000rpm. That is part of the problem, but I don't think it is all of it. I have twin 150 Yamaha and at that rpm I get 2mpg. I know it's not the same motor, but it is 300 hp and a single engine is more efficient a lot of the time. You should be getting close to 2mpg I would think.

Wow, something does not seem right for sure, I second the prop would be the first thing I would test out. Does it struggle to get on step?
    With that being said tho, 20GPH seems way high for just a prop issue.
    "Nothing worse than a GROUSE!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tyin 1 On View Post
    Wow, something does not seem right for sure, I second the prop would be the first thing I would test out. Does it struggle to get on step?
    With that being said tho, 20GPH seems way high for just a prop issue.
    It does seem to struggle to get on step, but this is the first larger boat I have owned so I can't say for sure what it should "feel" like.

Quote Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post
    Looks like you are over propped. Should be able to get close to 6000rpm. That is part of the problem, but I don't think it is all of it. I have twin 150 Yamaha and at that rpm I get 2mpg. I know it's not the same motor, but it is 300 hp and a single engine is more efficient a lot of the time. You should be getting close to 2mpg I would think.
    Someone suggested a 15 3/8 x 15, but seeing what others are getting I'm wondering if it is enough of a difference with just a prop swap

I would go down to the 15 pitch to start. Its hard to say since I was not there but seems that you had to run pretty hard to even stay on step at only 22 mph. Kingfishers usually run pretty fast and are good on fuel. I would think you should be able to cruze pretty good at 4000 RPM and only be burning at max 10 GPH.

I would go down to the 15 pitch to start. Its hard to say since I was not there but seems that you had to run pretty hard to even stay on step at only 22 mph. Kingfishers usually run pretty fast and are good on fuel. I would think you should be able to cruze pretty good at 4000 RPM and only be burning at max 10 GPH.
    Hell at WOT I'm only getting 28MPH. Right now it won't even stay on step at 4000 RPM. Kind of a bummer that I have to buy $600 props until I find the right one.

Have you tried to talk with AK mining and diving? They may let you test out some props to make sure you get the right one. Trimmed up and trim tabs up 28 MPH? Were you loaded with a alot of weight? Even then that sucker should move out at WOT.

Have you tried to talk with AK mining and diving? They may let you test out some props to make sure you get the right one. Trimmed up and trim tabs up 28 MPH? Were you loaded with a alot of weight? Even then that sucker should move out at WOT.
    Spoke to AK Mining, they were more than happy to sell me a $600 prop but never anything about trying them. Other than that I got a shoulder shrug and "yep the 1st Gen ETEC's aren't as good as the new G2's"

Shrug your shoulder and dont step foot in that place again! Its hard to find service that actually appreciates the customers anymore. Maybe try ask around on here to see if anyone has a prop you can test out. Alot more people on here willing to help!

Yes you need a prop change. I have seen this scenario a lot.

1) your motor should be able to reach 5800-6000 rpms. You WILL see an improvement in fuel economy by running less pitch, it is counter intuitive but it is a reality. And you don't have to stick with Evinrude brand props. Try a cheap aluminum prop.

2) I believe the Rebel is more of a high performance "bow lifting" prop with a lot of rake to it. Talk to various prop folks and try one with less rake, which will give you more of stern lift. IF you aren't on plane by 4000 rpms and then flying high and fast at only full throttle then you have a bow lifting prop. I have known a few folks including myself who faced this with a new boat.

3) I'd bring up your service story with the head honcho at AKMDS, a six-figure boat comes with a lot of service opportunities from a well to do customer.

4) call up Gibbons Motor Toys in Canada https://www.gibbonsmotortoysalberta.com/
    Look up Spencer Remple at Gibbons Motor Toys on YouTube. These guys look like a great outfit who sell and service Evinrude (hmm just looked and they sell Can-Am wheelers and Skidoo snowmobiles but no Evinrude) and Kingfisher boats, and seem to really know the products. Yes they are in Canada, but a phone call, email is cheap-free service.

Good luck, and don't give up hope!

Sobie2

Looks like I need to start with a different prop. Any recommendations for a shop to deal with that might allow me to try props prior to purchasing? Ak M&D didnt seem to hip on the idea.

I'm also open to prop recommendations if anyone has tried one they really liked on a similar application.

A1 prop still around?
    Bob was a great guy and sold the business but somebody should have picked up where he left off.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    Yes you need a prop change. I have seen this scenario a lot.

1) your motor should be able to reach 5800-6000 rpms. You WILL see an improvement in fuel economy by running less pitch, it is counter intuitive but it is a reality. And you don't have to stick with Evinrude brand props. Try a cheap aluminum prop.

2) I believe the Rebel is more of a high performance "bow lifting" prop with a lot of rake to it. Talk to various prop folks and try one with less rake, which will give you more of stern lift. IF you aren't on plane by 4000 rpms and then flying high and fast at only full throttle then you have a bow lifting prop. I have known a few folks including myself who faced this with a new boat.

3) I'd bring up your service story with the head honcho at AKMDS, a six-figure boat comes with a lot of service opportunities from a well to do customer.

4) call up Gibbons Motor Toys in Canada https://www.gibbonsmotortoysalberta.com/
    Look up Spencer Remple at Gibbons Motor Toys on YouTube. These guys look like a great outfit who sell and service Evinrude (hmm just looked and they sell Can-Am wheelers and Skidoo snowmobiles but no Evinrude) and Kingfisher boats, and seem to really know the products. Yes they are in Canada, but a phone call, email is cheap-free service.

Good luck, and don't give up hope!

Sobie2
    Thanks for the response,

Just fyi from evinrude on the rebel prop.

"The Rebel TBX propeller is designed and engineered to deliver improved midrange cruising and top end performance. Larger diameter and efficient blade contour privide faster speeds at lower RPM's to deliver significant improvements in fuel economy."

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    A1 prop still around?
    Bob was a great guy and sold the business but somebody should have picked up where he left off.
    Bk
    In Anchorage or?

Lots of Kingfishers in the Pacific Northwest on both sides of the border. Id be on the phone trying to get some dealer support. Going to be folks down there that know those boats well. Not just interested in making sales.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    A1 prop still around?
    Bk
    Brian A-1 Prop is over on Potter Drive just off Dowling Rd.

AJT try calling A-1 , describe your boat & ask them for a suggested prop. Try aluminum until you find a good combo of pitch & dia then buy a SS prop & use the alum for a backup prop.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    Brian A-1 Prop is over on Potter Drive just off Dowling Rd.

AJT try calling A-1 , describe your boat & ask them for a suggested prop. Try aluminum until you find a good combo of pitch & dia then buy a SS prop & use the alum for a backup prop.
    Got in touch with Brian at A1. He is going to work with me on props.

https://www.evinrude.com/content/dam...5_Offshore.pdf

Twin 300's on a 3025 getting 2+ mpg. That's kind of apples and oranges but close enough to make me think you can do much better.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    https://www.evinrude.com/content/dam...5_Offshore.pdf

Twin 300's on a 3025 getting 2+ mpg. That's kind of apples and oranges but close enough to make me think you can do much better.
    I saw that too, one of the reasons I am reaching out to this forum for help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast