Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2012 Kingfisher 2825 Evinrude 300 ETEC Fuel Burn

I have a 2825. 300 hp is not enough. I had the twin 150 Hondas to start. Played around with props, allot of props. Repowered to the max of twin 225's. Probably more power than I need but 300 is not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    I have a 2825. 300 hp is not enough. I had the twin 150 Hondas to start. Played around with props, allot of props. Repowered to the max of twin 225's. Probably more power than I need but 300 is not enough.
    That's very disheartening to hear. Although I'm a little confused since I've seen a few people on here with 150's saying they are doing 12-14 GPH @ 27 MPH. what is your fuel burn and cruise with the 225's if you dont mind me asking?

Isnt the annual Kingfisher Regatta in Whitter this weekend? In your shoes I'd be there for sure picking the brains of the owners of the same boat. No shortage of them. Just not powered by a 300 etec. Good luck getting better performance out of that.

Quote Originally Posted by AJT View Post
    Hell at WOT I'm only getting 28MPH. Right now it won't even stay on step at 4000 RPM. Kind of a bummer that I have to buy $600 props until I find the right one.
    AJ, I have a 2015 2825 weekender and fully loaded (fuel, water, equipment) with 4 guys I can run 42mph with twin merc 150's. Somethings not right on your MPH. Is there anything causing drag on the bottom of the boat? It doesn't seem right that your only getting 28mph. Is that a GPS speed or a second water speed indicator. No way 300hp can't push that boat at least 35mph fuel consumption or not. Best MPG I get is 2 MPG trimmed out at 4000rpm 30-32MPH.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Isnt the annual Kingfisher Regatta in Whitter this weekend? In your shoes I'd be there for sure picking the brains of the owners of the same boat. No shortage of them. Just not powered by a 300 etec. Good luck getting better performance out of that.
    Wish I could but as usual I am away at work when everything is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by mykle1 View Post
    AJ, I have a 2015 2825 weekender and fully loaded (fuel, water, equipment) with 4 guys I can run 42mph with twin merc 150's. Somethings not right on your MPH. Is there anything causing drag on the bottom of the boat? It doesn't seem right that your only getting 28mph. Is that a GPS speed or a second water speed indicator. No way 300hp can't push that boat at least 35mph fuel consumption or not. Best MPG I get is 2 MPG trimmed out at 4000rpm 30-32MPH.
    Nothing that really jumps out that would cause that much drag. Talking to a few people I need to make sure my motor is at the right height. I'm told the anti ventilation plate should be between 1.25" and 1.5" above the bottom of the boat. I ordered a 15 pitch prop today that I will try when I get home.

Have someone look at the cavitation plate while on step...it should be right at the surface. Adjust motor accordingly. The Etec should have plenty of power with the right prop and I would expect you will see roughly 15 gal/hr at cruise in the low to mid 4,000 rpm range.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Per Evinrude, the recommended WOT for the 300 ETEC is 5,500 to 5,850. Find the prop (I'm betting a 15 pitch Rebel) that gives you 58ish and that's going to be about the best you can do with that setup without going custom prop. Frankly, you're slightly under-powered with that single 300, that 28 footer does best with twin 225s. The fuel burn you're experiencing is actually normal for your setup--wide open, over-proped you should expect to be sucking about 27 GPH.

AJT,

I get 1-1.5 mpg. I have one of the 2825's with the 125 gallon gas tank. Basically a boat built for lighter two stroke engines. With the 150's I would put two 30 gallon drums on the deck up against the cab, they would vibrate all the way back to the transom wall. With the 225's they don't slip back. Not sure when I repower if I want to go with a large single or stay with twins.

AJT,

I get 1-1.5 mpg. I have one of the 2825's with the 125 gallon gas tank. Basically a boat built for lighter two stroke engines. With the 150's I would put two 30 gallon drums on the deck up against the cab, they would vibrate all the way back to the transom wall. With the 225's they don't slip back. Not sure when I repower if I want to go with a large single or stay with twins.
    I have been looking at the new Yamaha XTO 425 (really heavy) or the Suzuki 350 Twin Screw or Merc. Verado. Not too many options for singles. When I repower I may go with twin Evinrude 200 or 225 G2's.

IMHO, you'd be very happy with the twin 225 G2s....

I usually am, until I go to the fuel dock

I usually am, until I go to the fuel dock
    I think everybody is shell shocked with the price of gas. LOL

I have a 2825 with twin Honda 150's, 4800 rpm doing 25-28 mph I get 2 - 2.2 mpg, if I open it up to 6000 rpm I am at 38 mph and burning 25 gph+. Seems like your on the right track with different prop. To the guys that say twin 150's are not enough, I would argue that they are just enough, twin 225 or a bigger single would be nice but the $30-50K to do it buys lots of gas.

Trim of the motors and boat seems to make a huge difference on a kingfisher. I run my motors tipped up quite a bit and then use the trim tabs to level it out port-starboard wise. I just kept watching the fuel burn and playing with the trim on the motors and found the spot it does the best.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I have a 2825 with twin Honda 150's, 4800 rpm doing 25-28 mph I get 2 - 2.2 mpg, if I open it up to 6000 rpm I am at 38 mph and burning 25 gph+. Seems like your on the right track with different prop.
    You hd me going for a minute...it looked like 1200 RPM cost you "10 times" more in fuel until I saw you switched from mpg to gph...you had me going LOL
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    You hd me going for a minute...it looked like 1200 RPM cost you "10 times" more in fuel until I saw you switched from mpg to gph...you had me going LOL
    Ya that is confusing, the extra 10 mph doubles the fuel burn.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Ya that is confusing, the extra 10 mph doubles the fuel burn.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    Not confusing at all, you used completely different rates. It was not double, but rather 10 times more fuel, going from 2.2 to 25!!! Then I saw that they were different as mph is not gph. It would have been easier for me to follow if you used one or the other, but you had me going for a minute LOL
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I have a 2825 with twin Honda 150's, 4800 rpm doing 25-28 mph I get 2 - 2.2 mpg, if I open it up to 6000 rpm I am at 38 mph and burning 25 gph+. Seems like your on the right track with different prop. To the guys that say twin 150's are not enough, I would argue that they are just enough, twin 225 or a bigger single would be nice but the $30-50K to do it buys lots of gas.

Trim of the motors and boat seems to make a huge difference on a kingfisher. I run my motors tipped up quite a bit and then use the trim tabs to level it out port-starboard wise. I just kept watching the fuel burn and playing with the trim on the motors and found the spot it does the best.
    I also have a 2825 with Honda 150ís and been running this boat for 8 years. I find the 150ís adequate however a bit more power would be nice at times. Certainly not worth $40,000 to replace the motors. I run the boat fully loaded a lot and get 2gpm at 28/30 mph in good water.

A little update for everyone. I had to replace an injector and I also put a 15 pitch prop on. Took the boat out to Big Lake for a test run. Only got about 10mins on it before it kicked another injector fault. The short amount of time on the 15 pitch prop seemed to turn a little better. I still only saw about 5100rpm @ WOT but it was pushing the boat about 34mph. Before the motor issues I had it trimmed to 26mph @ 17.5gph. Better than before but would like to see more. On a different note anyone ever have this many injector issues with the e-tecs?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12