Thread: mechanic needed Lycoming 540

Default mechanic needed Lycoming 540

I’m having an issue with my lycoming 540. It sits on a 14’ Hull. It has toggle switches to turn off the magnetos one at a time, and the engine should continue to run on half the plugs. For no apparent reason it started doing this thing where I can run with both switches on or one on but if I turn the other off it stalls out. I’ve replaced the magneto that goes to the switch which was killing the engine, no luck! So without paying for A&P certified work $$$. Is there a mechanic around fairbanks that would work on this airboat and not charge aircraft mechanic prices?
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

Has anyone near fairbanks ever owned an airboat with an aircraft engine and had any work done on it?
    Bob

I have the lycoming 0-320 and I have seen info in the service manual on checking the magnetos. I understand that these are different engines, but I would imagine the principles to be similar. I gleaned that too big of a drop in RPM when shutting off a single magneto can be due to a mixture that is off. The links are below, perhaps they can help.

https://www.lycoming.com/sites/defau...20Drop-Off.pdf

http://11hc.44rf.com/manuals/engine-...aintenance.pdf

Figured it out, it was my fault. When I put the rebuilt magneto in I had the gear 180* off. Running like a champ now. Thank you for the response!
    Bob