Thread: .340 Wby Mag for Combo Griz and Dall

Default .340 Wby Mag for Combo Griz and Dall

The down payment has been made on a Fall 2008 combo grizzly & dall sheep hunt. I am going to carry my .340 for both. What single ammunition could or should I carry for both? If a single load is not realistic, what is recommend for each?

I'd go for the 250 Nosler, handloaded if it's not available in factory. Gives a nice combo of trajectory, long range performance on thin skinned game, and good construction for deep penetration on heavy game. Some other bullets might meet these criteria, but I know and trust the Nosler, so that's the one I'd go with.

Default same

nosler partition. Deadly, proven.

250 barnes x

any of the above...just nothing to soft, 340's got some speed the other 33's don't, too soft a bullet will more than likely not do AS good of a job...still do the job, but maybe not as well.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thumbs up

I have a .340 wthby and it would be my choice for Grizzly, just not for sheep.

That being said , I use wthby ammo, 250 gr. n.p.. It hits like thor's hammer and kills critters with authority. It also shoots about as flat as an .06.

I will be doing fall grizzly in 08 as well and this will likely be my choice.

good luck.

on a side note zero i have yet to see a .340 hit a grizz like thors hammer...seen them him grizz four or five times like a normal gun, but never had the hammer part yet...lol i'll keep my eyes open. theres a reason no( or very very very few) guides carry those things.
    Master guide 212

B.B.:

Since the best way to describe the effect my .340 had on my 11' B.B. was like a clapf thunder out of the sky(thor's hammer). I would say that most male grizz' would be at best half the body weight and more like 1/3 the weight if my B.B. , i think it would do just fine on Grizzly.

I intend to find out as I am booked for Fall, 2008 for Grizzly. I will likely use this setup. I expect to get quality video just as i did with my B.B.. Dramatic stuff to say the least.

On a side note. When i used this set up on moose the guide, with 32 years experience said it provided the fastest kill he ever saw on a bull moose. yes, i did shoot him in the neck, 230 yds lazed. Like a howitzer...

At least I agree that it is a less than ideal choice for a guide. Different needs , different calibers...

cool, love to see stuff hit the ground hard, shot a grizz with a .270 it hit the dirt like thors piano fell on it....shot placement shot placement, had a guy take a 8.5 foot brownie with his 340, four shots in the chest, never lost its footing and two more rounds from a .416...thor musta been on vaction then....
    lemme get a video link for ya...
    Master guide 212

Thumbs up .340 fan

Having owned a .340 Weatherby for over 20 years and having used it as a carry/ back up rifle for many hunts I guided in the late 80's, and also using it to present day for personal hunting in Alaska, I highly recommend this calilber.
    Its seen multiples of brown bear, moose and dall sheep, along with other big game, and its a proven performer in my opinion.
    Have always used handloaded 250 grain noslers. These will work for your bear and also for your sheep.
    Just remember---practice,practice,practice. The largest rifle in the world or the best performing slug will not work at all without proper placement.

speakin of placement heres a video of a eight foot brown on kodiak getting shot with a .340, first shot was great, tight behind front shoulder exit oposite, woulda killed the bear for sure..sooner or later. second shot was a miss, third shot hit him in the top of the head. i guess thor was there for the third shot. same gun, different shot placement, different results.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1xRGr1ZPqS4
    Master guide 212

Red face

b.b.;

thor's piano...hahahha

I like a shot that will allow both shoulders to be broken, or a neck shot. I do not care for a chest/ lung or heart shot. I like to break large bones or interrupt the central nervous system.

Nothing dramatic about a lung shot followed by a 100 yd. dash and tracking job.

Thumbs up

b.b.

thanks for the video, not a marksman.

if your breakin bones and necks thats why your hammer is knockin' em down, not really the caliber your using....your the hammer man, not that gun! i'm not a marksman either.
    Master guide 212