Thread: Bomber Glacier

Default Bomber Glacier

Made the trip back up to Reed Lakes yesterday and this time the weather allowed us to pick a route up over the top to view the B-29 Bomber crash site. There is still quite a bit of snow on the glacier which made it easy to traverse to the crash site without the use of crampons.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Great pic, Carnivore. I've had that hike on my list for a long time, but I haven't taken the time to do it yet. How long did it take you? How much of the trip is across the glacier? The ol' lady and I have an unplanned weekend at the end of August, maybe we'll head that way then.

Corn

Default Bomber

Corn-

We left the trail head at 8:20 and was back in the vehicle at a little after 5:00. We took a few short rest breaks and stopped to eat lunch for about 45 minutes or so. We probably spent the same amount of time looking around the crash site. It took us a little over 2 hours to get to the crash site from Upper Reed Lake. The picture I posted was from the top of the ridge looking down on the crash site. It is probably 3/4 of a mile across the glacier to it.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

I've made it all the way to the bomber once, and that was years ago. I got a cool pic sitting on one of the twisted prop blades. It took about 12 hours round trip. On other occasions, I've made it up the pass above Upper Reed Lake that looks down on the glacier, but had to turn around as the weather was deteriorating quickly. On another, the bomber was not visible under the snow, I think it was late May or early June. There are crevasses on the glacier, which can be easily concealed by fresh snow so proceed at your own risk. It's a really cool day hike.