Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Main Bay Reds

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    Is there a schedule that you guys can share when and when not the comm guys will be fishing. My buddy went out there this weekend and said there were zero comm guys. Then he radio one this morning and they said they started at 0800 on monday. What does the schedule look like this week?
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap.../931837772.pdf

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Kings View Post
    Any information on commercial openers? What activity does any one have so far fishing Reds this summer in main Bay?

One thing all sport fishers need to realize is that Main Bay fish are hatchery raised and they would not be there unless the com guys had to give up a portion of there catch to keep the hatchery going...something us sport fishers do NOT CONTRIBUTE TO! So give the guys a break and respect their fishing...if you want to be an idiot and spend the time rounding their nets to get inside then have at it...it is not worth the frustration. Do it one time and maybe you will give up, Go to the Copper or Kenai and dip your fish. AGZ = Agravated Gear Zone!

I am confused here? Wasnt this guy wanting to find out when the openers are for commercial guys so he doesnt have to deal with the crap show that goes on when they are allowed to play bumper boats?

Quote Originally Posted by rhorn View Post
    One thing all sport fishers need to realize is that Main Bay fish are hatchery raised and they would not be there unless the com guys had to give up a portion of there catch to keep the hatchery going...something us sport fishers do NOT CONTRIBUTE TO! So give the guys a break and respect their fishing...if you want to be an idiot and spend the time rounding their nets to get inside then have at it...it is not worth the frustration. Do it one time and maybe you will give up, Go to the Copper or Kenai and dip your fish. AGZ = Agravated Gear Zone!
    "Nothing worse than a GROUSE!!!"

Yes opener schedules are online posted by adfg. Was there Wednesday was a little tough fishing with not so many fish and they were hanging within a foot of the weir. Hard to get to them without getting hung on the weir.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorn View Post
    I think a better fact to share is that when the nets are in the water (the commercial guys are fishing) there are a lot less fish available to catch, and they are generally smaller, because the small ones slip through they nets. It is best to fish a day or two after the commercial opening closes. There are more fish to catch, they are bigger, and you don't have to risk tangling in a commercial net, which can be hard to spot at times.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Check the ADFG page for commercial openings in Eshamy, if its open Main Bay will be slammed with commercial guys.

Mondays and Thurdays (beginning at 8am) are the regular fishing periods for Eshamy/Main Bay. The duration of those periods can vary, but I think they've all been 36 hours periods so far this year (for Main Bay)
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    I went out there Friday...I picked through the nets going by Lake Bay, Picked through the nets going past Culross Island, and then headed south. I went to South Perry to pick up oysters but they were out. I said screw it, i will go to Main Bay for some reds and hit a snag. I made it past the netters all the way through. I had to swing way east to go around comm guys, then needled my way through the nets to the back of the bay. That is when I saw the BUTT of the year.

A comm guy spread his net all the way across the bay, from the left to the right. There was no where for me to go, soon a Kingfisher and another came up behind me with the same result. After looking, I can see hundreds of fish jumping in between the comm guy's net and the ADFG/hatchery net. I could not get in, and the three boats inside the net could not get out. This completely ruined my family fishing time and ruined others too. WHY!?

I am asking what are the rules to this? Why where there 500 commercial boats from Lake Bay to Main Bay, but when i got to the back there was one dueche that ruined it. I had the numbers but lost them, silver boat with green numbers. I was mad, but wife talked me out of doing something dumb. My question is, WHY, why would one jackass do that to all the friendly guys????
    Both Lake Bay and Main Bay are commercial hatcheries funded by commercial fisherman, they have every right to fish however they please. I fished in that fishery for years and the sport boats are a real nuisance when you're trying to make a living. Most sport guys don't understand the techniques guys are using and often get in the way. If the commercial boats are fishing I would steer clear of the area and leave them alone.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBOLING View Post
    Both Lake Bay and Main Bay are commercial hatcheries funded by commercial fisherman, they have every right to fish however they please. I fished in that fishery for years and the sport boats are a real nuisance when you're trying to make a living. Most sport guys don't understand the techniques guys are using and often get in the way. If the commercial boats are fishing I would steer clear of the area and leave them alone.
    You could of asked the guy if you lifted your motors all the way up if you could drift over his corkline, just use a landing net to push the corkline down and around any transducers or snags on the bottom of your boat. He was waiting for those fish to back out of there with the tide.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12