Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Copper River Dipnetting Reports

Default 2018 Copper River Dipnetting Reports

This thread is for the posting of dipnetting reports for the 2018 season for the Copper River. Let's hear it!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself or guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Addresses
    http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    https://akoutdoorsuniversity.com
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Closed that's what's happening until the counters see more fish

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...2018&NRID=2565

Copper River Personal Use Dip Net Salmon Fishing Schedule: June 11 - June 17
    The Chitina Subdistrict will open for a 96-hour period from 12:01 a.m. Thursday, June 14 through 11:59 p.m. Sunday, June 17.
    The 2018 Copper River sockeye salmon run is tracking well below projection. Residents are advised that fishing time in the Chitina Subdistrict personal use dip net fishery is likely to be reduced compared to recent years. In addition, fishing time may be further reduced, or the fishery may be closed if sonar passage indicates a final inriver run below the lower bound of the sockeye salmon spawning escapement goal.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/Static-sf/EONR/PDFs/2018/R3/EO%203-RS-I-02-18%20Chitina%20180606%20FINAL.pdf

PERSONAL USE FISHING

Emergency Order
    Under Authority of AS 16.05.060
    Emergency Order No. 3-RS-I-02-18
    Effective Date: 12:01 a.m. Thursday, June 14, 2018
    EXPLANATION:

ALASKA DEPARTMENT OF FISH & GAME
    Issued at: Glennallen, Wednesday, June 6, 2018Expiration Date: 11:59 p.m. August 31, 2018,
    unless superseded by subsequent emergency order.

This emergency order amends the schedule for the personal use dip net salmon fishery in the Chitina Subdistrict of the Upper Copper River District for the week of June 11, 2018.
    REGULATION:
    Consistent with the COPPER RIVER PERSONAL USE DIP NET SALMON FISHERY MANAGEMENT PLAN, 5 AAC 77.591, the personal use dip net salmon fishery in the Chitina Subdistrict of the Upper Copper River District will be open from 12:01 a.m. Thursday, June 14 through 11:59 p.m. Sunday, June 17.

by delegation to:
    JUSTIFICATION:

Sam Cotten Commissioner
    _______________________________ Mark A. Somerville
    Area Management Biologist

The Copper River personal use fishery is managed under direction of the Copper River Personal Use Dip Net Salmon Fishery Management Plan (5 AAC 77.591). The plan establishes the season from June 7 through September 30, and directs the department to establish weekly periods based on Miles Lake sonar counts. During May 28 – June 3, there were 54,740 salmon counted past the Miles Lake sonar. The preseason projection for this period was 99,656 salmon, which results in a deficit of 44,916 salmon. Copper River sockeye salmon migratory timing and the previous five-year average harvest and participation rates indicate sufficient numbers of salmon available to justify 96 hours of fishing time during the week of June 11 – June 17, a decrease of 72 hours from the preseason schedule.
    DISTRIBUTION:
    The distribution list for this emergency order is on file at the Region III Office of the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Division of Sport Fish, 1300 College Road, Fairbanks, AK 99701, (907) 459-7357 and the Glennallen Area Office of the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Division of Sport Fish, PO Box 47, Glennallen, AK 99588, (907) 822-3309.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

There is a new EO closing this “fishery”.
    https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/...2018&NRID=2573

Quote Originally Posted by Jisler View Post
    Really? I read someplace yesterday that the dipnetters typically take around 140,000 fish and the subsistence fishery around 40,000 although the goal established by the Board of Fish is 230,000 for the two fisheries. That’s about 50,000 fish more than have been counted in the river so far.

It’s a terrible run and the commercial fleet caught virtually none before they were completely shut down.

I think ADFG would have issued this EO even if CDFU hadn’t pointed out the obvious. It’s ADFG’s mandate to protect the run.

Folks, let's keep this thread focused on dipnetting reports. Plenty of places in the dipnetting forum to discuss these issues. This thread is for folks looking for actual trip reports.

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself or guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Addresses
    http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    https://akoutdoorsuniversity.com
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Okay Mike. So you asked for a report. Here goes one. Me and a friend just returned from the Copper for a 24-hour turn and burn. We spent probably close to 8 hours fishing for a total of 4 fish. Pretty pathetic. The worst dipnetting I've ever experienced at the Copper or anywhere for that matter. I'd say the EO is justified.

Friday June 15 ealy am, 6ish to 4:30
    Harvested 25 reds and a King. Put back at least 4 kings.
    Others seemed to do about what I got with some at least some getting only a handful. Seemed to have picked up a fair amount from day before.
    12 groups in line Friday morning with 10 of those having been there day before and me and another group gotten in late. Got put a little spot which was fine as I was solo. There was really only one productive spot to dip. Pretty steady backwash/boil but off and on it got bad and had to continually reset the net as it would get twisted or wrapped around tight.
    Reds were a little small I would say. Few Large ones but by past years not all that large. Mostly medium size with some small ones. Smallest one seemed to be the freshest. The King I keep was medium large to large.

Went fri am with ak-x charter from boat. Between the four of us we landed 28 reds and netted ~17 kings. Some kings were super big that we had to release. As previously mentioned, some reds were pretty small, some decent size. On average they were on the smaller size. Can’t say enough about Mark and his outfit (ak expeditions). Feel for him with the personal use getting shut down. He runs a first class operation and I’d highly recommend it to anyone wanting to dipnet the copper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so the last week of the sonar count at miles lake doesn't look bad enough to shut down the personal use fishery? Any body else think that it just might be a late yr? I typically do not go down till end of july to 1st week in august.

miles lake count only appeerz decent rite now cuz commy fleet aint takin 100,000z of fishiez atm

Ran down Saturday morning, got back late Sunday. fished from a boat and we landed 73 reds and 6 kings (released 10). fish were deep and we had to Jerry rig a pole to get down deep enough. Reds seemed small, some medium and some large one put lots of pulling up the net to find a little guy stuck in there.

athak, question on the AK-X charter guys. I see they got some fancy depth finders on their boats, do the see fish on those or just use it to find depth? they were killing it Saturday fishing.

On a few drifts we could clearly see a king as it swam under. But never noticed any reds, however I wasn’t really watching it much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by a2thak View Post
    On a few drifts we could clearly see a king as it swam under. But never noticed any reds, however I wasn’t really watching it much.
    Thanks, we were watching them saturdy and I noticed the guide new the spots that held fish. they did pretty good on Saturday at least from what I saw.

Fish have been hitting the river in pretty big numbers finally....here they come! (hopefully) Keep your eye on the EO's...

I spoke with Sommerville yesterday. He told me 36% of the fish going through the sonar are hatchery fish. He said that they are evaluating the numbers and because of the hatchery fish he sees the dip netting remaining closed for the summer. Today they opened subsistence for 7 days per week above the bridge. I am now calling for walker and cotton to immediately resign from office. They have stolen the fish from Alaskans. They messed with my family and my ability to provide food for them. That has crossed the line. The dip netting my be labeled personal use but to me that is my subsistence. Beyond mad.

Quote Originally Posted by mrj View Post
    I spoke with Sommerville yesterday. He told me 36% of the fish going through the sonar are hatchery fish. He said that they are evaluating the numbers and because of the hatchery fish he sees the dip netting remaining closed for the summer. Today they opened subsistence for 7 days per week above the bridge. I am now calling for walker and cotton to immediately resign from office. They have stolen the fish from Alaskans. They messed with my family and my ability to provide food for them. That has crossed the line. The dip netting my be labeled personal use but to me that is my subsistence. Beyond mad.
    Get a subsistence permit. Its free.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    Get a subsistence permit. Its free.
    He should also get a grip.

Pretty tough to fish above the bridge if you don’t have a boat. Can’t even get to the fishwheels without a boat so please don’t say to get a subsistence permit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast