Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Copper River Dipnetting Reports

Befriend a fish wheel owner and get the FREE permit. 100's of other Alaskans are already doing so.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Befriend a fish wheel owner and get the FREE permit. 100's of other Alaskans are already doing so.
    Easier said than done in my experience. Fish wheel shares are limited. Not a bad idea if you can find a willing party, though.

There are wheel owners that have dozens upon dozens of registered users. If you snoop around, it's easier than you think.

There are wheel owners that have dozens upon dozens of registered users. If you snoop around, it's easier than you think.
    Yeah, it's finding the empty slot that's the tricky part. Had friends with a share. They basically got a 2-3 day window where they worked the wheel. When was determined by the wheel owner and was a crap shoot. Some years they hardly got any and others they got way too many... Lol. Not sure if all wheels work like that in divvying it up.

I am with MRJ Everyone should be angry. When no one speaks up , those in charge think it is ok to mess with us.
    they took away half of our PFD. Anyone upset with that? Should we get a grip? The governor can be voted out if enough people get angry. Your voice can be heard at the voting booth. Just my .02.

Any reports down yonder from the subsistence side of things? Hems just posted an update on their fb page that there is a rumor about personal use opening Thursday, nothing sure yet. Sounds like river might be flooding a bit but hopefully she’s manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by jkswor View Post
    I am with MRJ Everyone should be angry. When no one speaks up , those in charge think it is ok to mess with us.
    they took away half of our PFD. Anyone upset with that? Should we get a grip? The governor can be voted out if enough people get angry. Your voice can be heard at the voting booth. Just my .02.
    Now there are two angry at the governor and I want to understand your perspective. Are you and MRJ mad at the governor because the run is weak this year?

Or are you angry that the dipnet fishery is personal use and therefore lower priority than subsistence?

I am asking a serious question and not trying to antagonize.

Bump to top

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Tried subsistence for the first time this year. This also marked my 30th straight year of going to Chitina. In short, we slayed the fish on June 29th and 30th. Not many folks headed there for the 48 hour opening, and we rolled in late Friday night, tossed the boat in the water and dredged out 9 kings and 31 reds in just under 2 hours with three nets in the water. We headed out Saturday morning at 9am and fished until we called it at noon. We pulled in another 3 kings and 180 reds with 4 nets in the water. The river was so swollen with fish you could catch them from shore to shore. We had gone two weeks prior, on the 17th and 18th, and only brought in 5 kings and it was terribly slow for everybody, except for those dredging down at Haley Creek while Personal Use was still open. I'm sure if we had stuck with personal use, we would have caught our limit during that weekend since that is where we normally fish.

Not sure if I'm sold on the subsistence side versus the personal use side, but I've always wanted to try above the bridge. I think I'll be leaning to do personal use in the future, just because I know the area so much better and can usually find fish in almost all conditions. It sure was nice being able to launch the boat and be fishing in a couple of minutes instead of beating our way to and through the canyon though. We did lose one net, and tore up a couple others, but we've done that below the bridge as well. Just happy to have our fish in the freezer this year.

Rumors were circling that the sonar has been jacked up at Miles Lake, and the counts have been low. We were catching a lot of bright silver reds on the 30th, which you wouldn't expect from the lower counts two weeks prior. We did get some fish with color as well, but not too many. Not a lot of large reds this year, mostly medium size and a decent number of little guys.

Is the Kotsina river still flowing near the campground area cutting people off from the upper banks/fishwheels area?
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Yes, looks like the main channel comes right through there now. The fish wheel guys were using boats for access.

How’s the boat launch under the bridge this year? Could you launch with a motor home?

Saw a couple of people do it a few weeks ago but you have to make it through the soft sand that parallels the road between the campground to get there.

Looks like the water level dropped a foot since yesterday so that is a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    Looks like the water level dropped a foot since yesterday so that is a plus.
    What gauge did you check? Down by the Million Dollar bridge it was ramping up a few hours ago. Just curious.

What gauge did you check? Down by the Million Dollar bridge it was ramping up a few hours ago. Just curious.
    The one on the ADFG fish count page went from 44.34 to 44.10 meters from yesterday to today.

Anyone dipped above the bridge in the past couple days? Not sure how fast salmon make it from the sonar to the bridge, but curious to see if those big numbers have started pushing through the bridge yet?

Looks like it crested last night;

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ak/nwis/u...cd=00065,00060

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast