Thread: Hey Float Plane Pilots

Default Hey Float Plane Pilots

Anybody have a recommendation for a wading pant. Iím tired of water sneaking behind my hip waders and my chest waders are just too cumbersome to fly in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use a pair of NSR freefall pants, they have thin gortex socks so I can wear any shoe.

https://www.nrs.com/product/22520.02...fall-dry-pants

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Just what I was looking for

I wear cabela's wading pants, and a pair of hiking sandals.

I have Cabela wader jeans with built in boot. Very good boot hiking with a heavy pack is no problem.
    DENNY

I second the NSR freefall pants. I like to fly fish from the plane or near where I am beached. Hip boots have almost killed me and my big chest waders are so hot they should be used for weight loss.

I also bought a thin set of wading trousers from Trustworthy Hardware in Soldotna. They lasted 4 years and were thin enough to be good for crawling in and out of the plane. They looked like these but I am not sure they are the same maker. ttps://www.amazon.com/Redington-Palix-River-Pants-Canyon/dp/B014I47G8M/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1528822270&sr=8-22&keywords=wading+pants+fishing

Maybe they were frog togs
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C8BXE8O...528822451&sr=2

Cabela's used to sell some really cool high top hiking boots that had roll-up hip waders built into the tops.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by cplne View Post
    Anybody have a recommendation for a wading pant. Iím tired of water sneaking behind my hip waders and my chest waders are just too cumbersome to fly in.

Are you the same guy that just flew up the highway? Iíve been trying to find out how fuel worked out for you from Whitehorse north.

Brought our PA12 up from Dallas last month. Still no fuel in Northway. Check with Rocking Star Adventures in Burwash 867-841-4322. Toughest part of the trip was Nelson to Watson 20 kt headwind and following the highway wouldnít work. We got lucky and went on the back side with a more direct route

SPEAKING of waders. Has anyone found any with any sort of useable POCKETS. The lightweight ones I have , used to have one small interior flpa type pocket that ripped soon after purchase and it was not big enough to carry anything.

I HATE crawling in the plane only realize that my keys are inside my jeans pocket underneath my frigging waders....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    SPEAKING of waders. Has anyone found any with any sort of useable POCKETS. The lightweight ones I have , used to have one small interior flpa type pocket that ripped soon after purchase and it was not big enough to carry anything.

I HATE crawling in the plane only realize that my keys are inside my jeans pocket underneath my frigging waders....
    Looks like those NRS pair have a pocket.

I was just looking into pants like this the other day. What is everyone wearing for a shoe/boot to go with? I feel like the only acceptable thing would be some expedition style self bailing boot. With a good vibram sole, but I can't imagine if it wasn't designed to be submerged and get the water out on it own.

Quote Originally Posted by z987k View Post
    Looks like those NRS pair have a pocket.

I was just looking into pants like this the other day. What is everyone wearing for a shoe/boot to go with? I feel like the only acceptable thing would be some expedition style self bailing boot. With a good vibram sole, but I can't imagine if it wasn't designed to be submerged and get the water out on it own.
    I use these,, made for trail running with mesh drains on the side and a good slip resistant sole. The pocket on the NRS pants works okay as long as you don't put much in it or if the pants fit loose,, since it is on top of the thigh anything in there gets tight when the pants are flexed.l

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I use a pair of NSR freefall pants, they have thin gortex socks so I can wear any shoe.

https://www.nrs.com/product/22520.02...fall-dry-pants

Have you hunted in these? Seems like it might be an alternative to waders or even neos river trekkers for crossings?

Quote Originally Posted by z987k View Post
    Have you hunted in these? Seems like it might be an alternative to waders or even neos river trekkers for crossings?
    Yes,, why I bought them, for a sheep hunt, but they worked well on Kodiak too.