Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Father, and sons DIY hunt / getting the meat back

Quote Originally Posted by Ak47nutter View Post
    shipping meat without some sort of cooling makes me nervous. We have found a cabin for rent near sterling that has a chest freezer. We are leaning towards a ten day hunt. We are still spike camping but of two or three days at a time. We will bring a vacuum sealer and process the bears that we (hopefully ) get in the cabin and freeze them in the chest freezer. We will by the coolers here and bring our gear with them then ship our gear back. Anytime I have looked at guides they seem super expensive I will look into it again
    Yes, guides ARE expensive. BUT, it will make the difference between catching fish and going fishless. Fishing for salmon is not the same as fishing in the lower 48. Even the techniques used for trout fishing (at that time of the year) are sufficiently different from lower 48 trout fishing, that without local knowledge, catching fish will be a struggle. Its your vacation and your money - I'm only telling you what I wish I didn't spend years learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Yes, guides ARE expensive. BUT, it will make the difference between catching fish and going fishless. Fishing for salmon is not the same as fishing in the lower 48. Even the techniques used for trout fishing (at that time of the year) are sufficiently different from lower 48 trout fishing, that without local knowledge, catching fish will be a struggle. Its your vacation and your money - I'm only telling you what I wish I didn't spend years learning.
    I appreciate the advice. I was hoping to research salmon fishing enough to get in the right direction. I thought I would be able to be successful from the knowledge I have attained from fishing for salmon in NY, MI and Canada. Each place was different so I could see how it would be different from the others. Thanks

No matter what you end up doing please post a follow up report on how your trip went and how things were different from your expectations. I think the trip your looking at will be an eye opener, and a lot of folks would love to know what knowledge you gained from your experience.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    No matter what you end up doing please post a follow up report on how your trip went and how things were different from your expectations. I think the trip your looking at will be an eye opener, and a lot of folks would love to know what knowledge you gained from your experience.
    Iím going to post a full report before and after with a price breakdown. I havenít been able to find a lot of info for meals when spike camping other than granola bars and trail mix. A lot of the recipes I am finding are low calorie meals, Iím looking for high calorie meals because I am assuming that we will burn a lot of calories packing in and chasing bears. I am also going to post a full list of gear see if we are missing anything, we have never spike camped before. I would like to know if their is something you wish you would have had or wished You hadnít drug around with you. Also side arm or no side arm , the frame pack I have on my wish list has a padded pocket for a rifle to strap into. Thanks

Iím going to post a full report before and after with a price breakdown. I havenít been able to find a lot of info for meals when spike camping other than granola bars and trail mix. A lot of the recipes I am finding are low calorie meals, Iím looking for high calorie meals because I am assuming that we will burn a lot of calories packing in and chasing bears. I am also going to post a full list of gear see if we are missing anything, we have never spike camped before. I would like to know if their is something you wish you would have had or wished You hadnít drug around with you. Also side arm or no side arm , the frame pack I have on my wish list has a padded pocket for a rifle to strap into. Thanks
    I personally donít carry a side arm if Iím hunting with a rifle. Sure there both sides on that.

If you are carrying a stove and fuel Mountain House meals are quite convenient and high calorie. I generally carry some jerky or meat sticks because Iím a ďcarnivore.Ē Cheese sticks too.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Out of curiosity, do you really love bear meat? After May 31 there is no requirement to salvage black bear meat- just the hide and skull. It would save a lot of expense in transportation and logistics to leave the meat if you do kill a bear. Also the amount of effort to pack the meat miles from the road, especially with your spike camp etc.

Have you backpacked camped at all? Do you have the gear for it? You should understand what I mean about packing 100lbs of unnecessary stinky bear meat if you have...

I would 100% recommend a trial run of all your gear etc in your local woods for at least a mile or two backpack trip before coming to Alaska for the first time.

As to the salmon I would highly recommend planning to take them home instead of the bear!

Quote Originally Posted by wildwilderness View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you really love bear meat? After May 31 there is no requirement to salvage black bear meat- just the hide and skull. It would save a lot of expense in transportation and logistics to leave the meat if you do kill a bear. Also the amount of effort to pack the meat miles from the road, especially with your spike camp etc.

Have you backpacked camped at all? Do you have the gear for it? You should understand what I mean about packing 100lbs of unnecessary stinky bear meat if you have...
    !
    From my experience, September bear meat from the Kenai Mountains is excellent. The last one we took was marbled blue from all the blueberries the bear was eating. It was sweet and made excellent burger and bacon. It would be a shame to leave it behind.

I would 100% recommend a trial run of all your gear etc in your local woods for at least a mile or two backpack trip before coming to Alaska for the first time.

As to the salmon I would highly recommend planning to take them home instead of the bear!
    I have never had bear meat would love to try it. I wouldnít want to waste the meat Iím sure we could find some way to eat it. When we hunt in Colorado we have to pack all the meat out in frame packs so I have done some backpacking but never to this extreme to where we donít drive, it limits the amount of gear we can take so we have to be picky. We have a mile or two steep incline hike to our spot in New York for salmon the frame pack and camping gear are going with us this September-October. Thanks. How much usable meat does an average bear give ?

According to Fish and Game, there is 120 pounds of boned out meat from a black bear. Usually we'll take the back strap and the four quarters, leaving the neck and rib meat at this time of year.
    For food at the spike camp, some one already suggested the Mountain House meals. Take something like a Jet Boil which will heat up two cups of water in just a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    From my experience, September bear meat from the Kenai Mountains is excellent. The last one we took was marbled blue from all the blueberries the bear was eating. It was sweet and made excellent burger and bacon. It would be a shame to leave it behind.
    Best time of the year for fat, berry-fed black bear. Well worth the effort, and oh, the wonderful French dip you can make with thin sliced bear roast! Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

I have seen a number of stinky fall bears killed but I haven’t hunted the Kenai, that’s Colorado bears. If the meat is good take what you can, it’s just been my Experience as someone traveling to hunt from the L48 it adds to the expense and logistics and time to transport all the meat home. I have always lined up a local or two who I have donated meat to. It seams to me Alaskans are more dependent on wild game than the standard L48 hunters. Since I am lucky to have always had an abundance of wild game from all the elk, deer, antelope from multiple states my family harvests it is not cost or time effective to transport more meat home. (I also fill freezers for a few other families as well). If you ever hunt Africa you sure aren’t bringing any home!

I do have to say no matter what it will be an adventure, Be sure to fish at least 1 day, and be warned you will probably be making many more trips!

I have seen a number of stinky fall bears killed but I haven’t hunted the Kenai, that’s Colorado bears. If the meat is good take what you can, it’s just been my Experience as someone traveling to hunt from the L48 it adds to the expense and logistics and time to transport all the meat home. I have always lined up a local or two who I have donated meat to. It seams to me Alaskans are more dependent on wild game than the standard L48 hunters. Since I am lucky to have always had an abundance of wild game from all the elk, deer, antelope from multiple states my family harvests it is not cost or time effective to transport more meat home. (I also fill freezers for a few other families as well). If you ever hunt Africa you sure aren’t bringing any home!

I do have to say no matter what it will be an adventure, Be sure to fish at least 1 day, and be warned you will probably be making many more trips!
    I could never afford an African trip, Iím meat hunter not a so much a trophy hunter. Is jet boil fuel available in anchorage ? Is the neck and rib meat undesirable. Thanks

I could never afford an African trip, Iím meat hunter not a so much a trophy hunter. Is jet boil fuel available in anchorage ? Is the neck and rib meat undesirable. Thanks
    Yes, it's available.
    And no, any meat on a bear that's been eating meat, greens and berries is good. Especially if that bear has been eating the latter two. And as you eat it over the winter, you can remember your hunt with your son. One of the best things about eating wild meat IMO. Don't get that eating beef, chicken or pork.

Jet boil fuel may be available at: Cabela's, Bass Pro, Sportsman's Warehouse, Barneys, Alaska Hiking Store, Mountain View Sporting Goods; heck, Walmart or Fred Meyer's might have it. It always amazes me that people from outside forget that we're actually part of the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Jet boil fuel may be available at: Cabela's, Bass Pro, Sportsman's Warehouse, Barneys, Alaska Hiking Store, Mountain View Sporting Goods; heck, Walmart or Fred Meyer's might have it. It always amazes me that people from outside forget that we're actually part of the United States.
    I did not forget they Alaska is part of the United States I had never heard of a jet boil or seen them at cabelas, bass pro or Walmart. You canít fly with fuel so I Dident want to buy the stove part then arrive and not be able to get the fuel for it., thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12