Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hows everyones bait activity this year?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hows everyones bait activity this year?

Baits have been slow this spring for me. Hows everyone doing with activity? Normal slow or an increase?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Everybody seems slower than usual. Picking up though.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

Sucks compared to last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year by this time I could identify 12 different bears on my bait. This year only 3 so far, two are sows. Two have been harvested by first time hunters that I took out or offered my bait for them to use. So for me, a very successful year as we had two more young hunters interesting in hunting.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

total bust for me.

now I'm done this year

got to go to Quantico for school next week

there's always next year

Chris

Nada at my bait. Been sitting for two weeks untouched. Probably start heating up as soon as I get stuck at work for 2 wks than have only a few days to hunt when back for grizz due to new regulations for 16.

I haven't seen any bears or signs of them in my area yet. I have seen a TON of moose though. I assume that there is a correlation between a heavily bear controlled area, and having an overabundance of moose.

My wife saw 7 bears at out home since I left to go hunting on Monday...

First year trying out this baiting hype. It makes me feel better that people that know what they’re doing are struggling.I was starting to worry I picked a bad spot and bait! I’ve had one bear in so far. Came in to check out the smells and never took a bite. Baiting with popcorn popped in bacon/fish grease and sprinkled with jello. Hopefully it’s slow like everyone here says and things pick up. Good luck everyone and I’m open to any tips!

36DD02A4-544C-484E-8DC6-ECD2D4D3C694.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by wjschmaltz View Post
    First year trying out this baiting hype. It makes me feel better that people that know what they’re doing are struggling.I was starting to worry I picked a bad spot and bait! I’ve had one bear in so far. Came in to check out the smells and never took a bite. Baiting with popcorn popped in bacon/fish grease and sprinkled with jello. Hopefully it’s slow like everyone here says and things pick up. Good luck everyone and I’m open to any tips!

36DD02A4-544C-484E-8DC6-ECD2D4D3C694.jpg
    Just one suggestion about site selection. I'm no expert by any means, but just from my limited experience with baiting, it appears that there are a lot of dead snags and blowdowns surrounding your bait. It might help if you put the bait in a little bit more open of an area. Just so that the bears don't feel so closed in and trapped when they come in to your bait station. Bears can be very wary, in particular if you are in an area with other baiters. And they might be coming in to check you out, but opting to leave your bait alone simply because they don't feel safe. Just a suggestion. Take it for what it's worth. You asked for tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Just one suggestion about site selection. I'm no expert by any means, but just from my limited experience with baiting, it appears that there are a lot of dead snags and blowdowns surrounding your bait. It might help if you put the bait in a little bit more open of an area. Just so that the bears don't feel so closed in and trapped when they come in to your bait station. Bears can be very wary, in particular if you are in an area with other baiters. And they might be coming in to check you out, but opting to leave your bait alone simply because they don't feel safe. Just a suggestion. Take it for what it's worth. You asked for tips.
    Hmmmm.that's interesting as I've heard the opposite. That they feel better when it is not so out in the open and more concealed. Kinda like when an animals kills something and then drags it back into the bushes to eat it. I think most animals don't like to feed out in the open....imo.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Hmmmm.that's interesting as I've heard the opposite. That they feel better when it is not so out in the open and more concealed. Kinda like when an animals kills something and then drags it back into the bushes to eat it. I think most animals don't like to feed out in the open....imo.
    No, you're right. When I say more open, I don't mean like out in a big opening like a meadow or swamp etc. I just mean not in a big log jam or in bunch of debris that would make them feel trapped or like they are walking into a trap. Again, take it for what it's worth, but that is my opinion.

Our unit does begin with a 2, but it is not in the 20's, it is higher than that. I was welcomed into a new area, so I won't divulge any more than that.

They went back up as planned, and took a 7&1/2 foot blackie with a near 20" skull. They had a couple other bears coming in, but that's the only one that was brought home. Seems to be quite the population of black bears in this area. No grizzlies were spotted or on the trail camera's, but we know they are out there. Definitely planning to hit this area again next spring. The first bear came in on May 20th, about 10 hours after we set up the bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    No, you're right. When I say more open, I don't mean like out in a big opening like a meadow or swamp etc. I just mean not in a big log jam or in bunch of debris that would make them feel trapped or like they are walking into a trap. Again, take it for what it's worth, but that is my opinion.
    I would agree. I placed it down in that hole based off the recommendation that they don't want to be out in the open. I was planning on moving it about 200 yards up the hill to an area that's more open. Grassy with sparse white birch and spruce instead of thick spruce, downfall, and moss. It will get more wind up there as well to spread the scent out. I've had three different bears stop by that don't want to hang around so it's time to switch it up. Thanks for the input. I marked it up as a learning year for baiting before I even started so it's been fun.

Terrible year. Havent changed a thing yet the bears havent been showing up. One site finally kicked into high gear the last few days on the peninsula, but usually have bears hitting by May 15th, nothing till about the 29th this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just did a hunt for Willow Air near Peter's Creek, Unit 16A/B. His take is that the season is about 10 days late. My impression was that bears were still roaming and had not really settled into a pattern on the baits. They were behaving like late May instead of early June. We finally had hot weather this last week: activity was really picking up the last couple days. Two hunters shot 1 brown and 3 blacks. We had no trouble with the blacks; plenty to choose from. We saw some boar/sow interaction on camera, and the brown was chasing a sow. It was a brown bear hunt with blackies as bonus, and the brown bear activity was very low. Out of over a dozen baits, browns had only showed up at 2 with any consistency at all. The station I hunted with my client had 2 browns on camera, showed 3 times in 10 days, and circled us audibly twice, but wouldn't come in. They did run off all but one nice black bear, though. I am pretty certain that these nice temps will kick everything into gear and the rest of the month will be good. Synopsis: no problems with blacks, tough times on griz.

We used to see lots of black bears near our cabins north of Kenai. Now just the brown bears cruising by. I believe the brownies have displaced many of the black bears.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    We used to see lots of black bears near our cabins north of Kenai. Now just the brown bears cruising by. I believe the brownies have displaced many of the black bears.
    YES...I have the same observation here, just around the corner near Hope, AK.

Mine just got visited for the first time on Wednesday. Sow with two little cubs. Its about 2 weeks behind from previous years.

I am 3 weeks behind this year on activity. And now there's less bears in the spot I'm in now. Getting concerned about the area I'm in this year but it sounds like others are in the same boat which makes me feel a bit better. I have a sub 5'6" bear coming in and a 6'3"+ bear coming in. Hopefully there are more bears when I go in next time.

I pulled my barrel yesterday and the camera. My partner went to Anch. and I had wrist surgery so no more hunting. I found only one more bear on the camera since we harvested the one on Tuesday. It is an interesting year for sure. What Happened: 1. We had the least snow of any year over here since I move here in 01. 2. I still have snow on the mountain above the house and most of the peaks here still have snow so it has been colder. 3. Vegetation was late in blossoming. 4. I noticed that the goats are only 2/3 of the way up the mountains. Well the food above is covered. 5. All of the bears at my bait were young sows. 6. Last year by now, I had 12 different bears on the bait that I could identify. (10 at once) 7. Not one sow with cubs this year.(last year, 2 with 3 cubs a piece) 8. The one sow I helped harvest had the thickest fur I have ever seen. It was almost 4" and extremely thick. So throw all that together.... I think things are running late is my guess.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast