Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hows everyones bait activity this year?

Default Hows everyones bait activity this year?

Baits have been slow this spring for me. Hows everyone doing with activity? Normal slow or an increase?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Everybody seems slower than usual. Picking up though.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

Sucks compared to last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year by this time I could identify 12 different bears on my bait. This year only 3 so far, two are sows. Two have been harvested by first time hunters that I took out or offered my bait for them to use. So for me, a very successful year as we had two more young hunters interesting in hunting.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

total bust for me.

now I'm done this year

got to go to Quantico for school next week

there's always next year

Chris

Nada at my bait. Been sitting for two weeks untouched. Probably start heating up as soon as I get stuck at work for 2 wks than have only a few days to hunt when back for grizz due to new regulations for 16.

I haven't seen any bears or signs of them in my area yet. I have seen a TON of moose though. I assume that there is a correlation between a heavily bear controlled area, and having an overabundance of moose.

My wife saw 7 bears at out home since I left to go hunting on Monday...

First year trying out this baiting hype. It makes me feel better that people that know what they’re doing are struggling.I was starting to worry I picked a bad spot and bait! I’ve had one bear in so far. Came in to check out the smells and never took a bite. Baiting with popcorn popped in bacon/fish grease and sprinkled with jello. Hopefully it’s slow like everyone here says and things pick up. Good luck everyone and I’m open to any tips!

36DD02A4-544C-484E-8DC6-ECD2D4D3C694.jpg

Terrible year. Havent changed a thing yet the bears havent been showing up. One site finally kicked into high gear the last few days on the peninsula, but usually have bears hitting by May 15th, nothing till about the 29th this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just did a hunt for Willow Air near Peter's Creek, Unit 16A/B. His take is that the season is about 10 days late. My impression was that bears were still roaming and had not really settled into a pattern on the baits. They were behaving like late May instead of early June. We finally had hot weather this last week: activity was really picking up the last couple days. Two hunters shot 1 brown and 3 blacks. We had no trouble with the blacks; plenty to choose from. We saw some boar/sow interaction on camera, and the brown was chasing a sow. It was a brown bear hunt with blackies as bonus, and the brown bear activity was very low. Out of over a dozen baits, browns had only showed up at 2 with any consistency at all. The station I hunted with my client had 2 browns on camera, showed 3 times in 10 days, and circled us audibly twice, but wouldn't come in. They did run off all but one nice black bear, though. I am pretty certain that these nice temps will kick everything into gear and the rest of the month will be good. Synopsis: no problems with blacks, tough times on griz.

We used to see lots of black bears near our cabins north of Kenai. Now just the brown bears cruising by. I believe the brownies have displaced many of the black bears.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    We used to see lots of black bears near our cabins north of Kenai. Now just the brown bears cruising by. I believe the brownies have displaced many of the black bears.
    YES...I have the same observation here, just around the corner near Hope, AK.

Mine just got visited for the first time on Wednesday. Sow with two little cubs. Its about 2 weeks behind from previous years.

I am 3 weeks behind this year on activity. And now there's less bears in the spot I'm in now. Getting concerned about the area I'm in this year but it sounds like others are in the same boat which makes me feel a bit better. I have a sub 5'6" bear coming in and a 6'3"+ bear coming in. Hopefully there are more bears when I go in next time.

I pulled my barrel yesterday and the camera. My partner went to Anch. and I had wrist surgery so no more hunting. I found only one more bear on the camera since we harvested the one on Tuesday. It is an interesting year for sure. What Happened: 1. We had the least snow of any year over here since I move here in 01. 2. I still have snow on the mountain above the house and most of the peaks here still have snow so it has been colder. 3. Vegetation was late in blossoming. 4. I noticed that the goats are only 2/3 of the way up the mountains. Well the food above is covered. 5. All of the bears at my bait were young sows. 6. Last year by now, I had 12 different bears on the bait that I could identify. (10 at once) 7. Not one sow with cubs this year.(last year, 2 with 3 cubs a piece) 8. The one sow I helped harvest had the thickest fur I have ever seen. It was almost 4" and extremely thick. So throw all that together.... I think things are running late is my guess.

First year baiting a new area up north. My 12 year old daughter got her first bear on May 25th and I shot a 7' boar the next afternoon. We had set up the bait site the weekend before. We had 12-15 different bears on bait within the first 10 days. I went out on a quick solo hunt and the bait site was hit hard, but still had plenty of grub and smell left to keep them coming in. Loaded it up with 100 pounds of dog food and 10 gallons of grease on the night of the 1st and shot a 6' boar at 3:15am on the 2nd.

Seems like the further out you get, the more bears you get on. I'd rather focus on this spot that takes me 4&1/2 hours to get to rather than the old spot that was an hour and change away, but held few bears. A couple guys are hunting it this weekend, so I look forward to seeing how they do.

Helped the gf get her first big game animal. With a bow even! Was a boar and sow coming in but the boar would never commit to coming in all the way so took the sow.

That was 6/6 havent had anything but sow and cubs both black and mainly brown coming in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's awesome. Great job.

Nice bear, congrats. Doing it with a bow is even more fun.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    First year baiting a new area up north. My 12 year old daughter got her first bear on May 25th and I shot a 7' boar the next afternoon. We had set up the bait site the weekend before. We had 12-15 different bears on bait within the first 10 days. I went out on a quick solo hunt and the bait site was hit hard, but still had plenty of grub and smell left to keep them coming in. Loaded it up with 100 pounds of dog food and 10 gallons of grease on the night of the 1st and shot a 6' boar at 3:15am on the 2nd.

Seems like the further out you get, the more bears you get on. I'd rather focus on this spot that takes me 4&1/2 hours to get to rather than the old spot that was an hour and change away, but held few bears. A couple guys are hunting it this weekend, so I look forward to seeing how they do.
    Where you up north like unit 20 Up north?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast