Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How’s everyones bait activity this year?

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Where you up north like unit 20 Up north?
    Yeah, please advertise it on the forum so everyone can head that way.

Unit 20 is to specific?!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thats Fractious Creek in Unit 20, its in the big red atlas book. There's one in 15D but that country is clearly up north.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Muche View Post
    That secret was out a long time ago. Everybody already knows there's a bear behind every tree in unit 20.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Now that nick has confirmed unit 20 is the hot spot this year I was able to get a old school bus rented for the remainder of June. I will be doing pick up and drop offs at several selected sportsman’s ware house, cabelas and all three bears gas stations each Friday with return drop offs each Sunday night. available in all game units more than 300 miles from unit 20. First stop each Friday will be fish and game so everyone can re register their bait stations, second stop will be three bears to pick up your new bait, third stop will be Hatcher pass Polaris for everyone to grab a new atv for setting their baits, fourth stop will be six rob lees so we can stock up on trailer parts since the 14 hours of driving each weekend will really start to wear on some gear, fifth-fifteenth stop will be gas for the bus of which each person will need to contribute $1700 to help
    Cover gas/oil/tires/maintenance to keep this rig on the road. Once we arrive in unit 20, just hit your personal call button located in the ceiling above your seat, the bus will stop and you can disembark with your atv and gear. Bus will return to pick you up and a designated time later in the weekend. Please remember none of us on this bus live anywhere near unit 20 so the likely hood we are stepping on someone’s toes is high,
    So please be respectful. As we all live so far away this is really not a logical move to try bear baiting 400-600 miles from home, but nick asked that we get everyone headed that way.
    Now that I think about. Maybe instead of trying to get everyone’s bait stations moved across the state, maybe we just chat on a forum and hope our baits improve this season. I know everyone was about to call for that bus ride, but let’s hold off this spring. Next season we can flood unit 20, then if someone says unit 15’is hot next we can all move there, I’ll get that bus up north so all the unit 20
    Guys can run down there and get a piece of the action. Just
    To keep it all balanced out.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Now that nick has confirmed unit 20 is the hot spot this year I was able to get a old school bus rented for the remainder of June. I will be doing pick up and drop offs at several selected sportsman’s ware house, cabelas and all three bears gas stations each Friday with return drop offs each Sunday night. available in all game units more than 300 miles from unit 20. First stop each Friday will be fish and game so everyone can re register their bait stations, second stop will be three bears to pick up your new bait, third stop will be Hatcher pass Polaris for everyone to grab a new atv for setting their baits, fourth stop will be six rob lees so we can stock up on trailer parts since the 14 hours of driving each weekend will really start to wear on some gear, fifth-fifteenth stop will be gas for the bus of which each person will need to contribute $1700 to help
    Cover gas/oil/tires/maintenance to keep this rig on the road. Once we arrive in unit 20, just hit your personal call button located in the ceiling above your seat, the bus will stop and you can disembark with your atv and gear. Bus will return to pick you up and a designated time later in the weekend. Please remember none of us on this bus live anywhere near unit 20 so the likely hood we are stepping on someone’s toes is high,
    So please be respectful. As we all live so far away this is really not a logical move to try bear baiting 400-600 miles from home, but nick asked that we get everyone headed that way.
    Now that I think about. Maybe instead of trying to get everyone’s bait stations moved across the state, maybe we just chat on a forum and hope our baits improve this season. I know everyone was about to call for that bus ride, but let’s hold off this spring. Next season we can flood unit 20, then if someone says unit 15’is hot next we can all move there, I’ll get that bus up north so all the unit 20
    Guys can run down there and get a piece of the action. Just
    To keep it all balanced out.
    lmao this is gold. My bait site sucks in 16 dont stop the bus there...I'm in see ya at three bears Friday!

Hilarious Jake, that was a good one.

Thanks buddy. I’ll save ya a seat when it’s headed south! 4merguide will be driving. Lol
    If ya really wanna rub in how well unit 20’s doing you could post your pics in here...😁
    Master guide 212

He he he.... glad I stopped by... needed a good laugh!

If the bus comes south to 15 it will need a stove jack, coolers tied down outside, and dip nets on top! We welcome all but require positive attitudes!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Muche View Post
    Man you f35 pilots are touchy bunch.. anyhow saw the valley trash bush loaded down with bait barrels headed North straight to unit 20..

Season started off as usual. Grizz were hitting early May and I was able to take a nice black at the end of May. The past week things have really heated up. 7 grizz and 2 blacks nonstop 24/7.

Had a hit by 7'+ grizz yesterday morning, first hit. Of course it happens day before going back to work for few weeks, why wouldn't it...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    anyhow saw the valley trash bush loaded down with bait barrels headed North straight to unit 20..
    Now.......you don't need no barrels, on the Hope Road sites, Barrels and custom built treehouses are available free at USFS sites all along the powerline. Lots of nine foot and 9'-10" Coastal Brown Bears everywhere. A few 10'-4" and 10'-7" Bears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You were 46 degrees at 2am?!?! Crap! We are almost freezing lol
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by wjschmaltz View Post
    First year trying out this baiting hype. It makes me feel better that people that know what theyÂ’re doing are struggling.I was starting to worry I picked a bad spot and bait! IÂ’ve had one bear in so far. Came in to check out the smells and never took a bite. Baiting with popcorn popped in bacon/fish grease and sprinkled with jello. Hopefully itÂ’s slow like everyone here says and things pick up. Good luck everyone and IÂ’m open to any tips!

Attachment 96095
    Just one suggestion about site selection. I'm no expert by any means, but just from my limited experience with baiting, it appears that there are a lot of dead snags and blowdowns surrounding your bait. It might help if you put the bait in a little bit more open of an area. Just so that the bears don't feel so closed in and trapped when they come in to your bait station. Bears can be very wary, in particular if you are in an area with other baiters. And they might be coming in to check you out, but opting to leave your bait alone simply because they don't feel safe. Just a suggestion. Take it for what it's worth. You asked for tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Just one suggestion about site selection. I'm no expert by any means, but just from my limited experience with baiting, it appears that there are a lot of dead snags and blowdowns surrounding your bait. It might help if you put the bait in a little bit more open of an area. Just so that the bears don't feel so closed in and trapped when they come in to your bait station. Bears can be very wary, in particular if you are in an area with other baiters. And they might be coming in to check you out, but opting to leave your bait alone simply because they don't feel safe. Just a suggestion. Take it for what it's worth. You asked for tips.
    Hmmmm….that's interesting as I've heard the opposite. That they feel better when it is not so out in the open and more concealed. Kinda like when an animals kills something and then drags it back into the bushes to eat it. I think most animals don't like to feed out in the open....imo.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Hmmmm….that's interesting as I've heard the opposite. That they feel better when it is not so out in the open and more concealed. Kinda like when an animals kills something and then drags it back into the bushes to eat it. I think most animals don't like to feed out in the open....imo.
    No, you're right. When I say more open, I don't mean like out in a big opening like a meadow or swamp etc. I just mean not in a big log jam or in bunch of debris that would make them feel trapped or like they are walking into a trap. Again, take it for what it's worth, but that is my opinion.

Our unit does begin with a 2, but it is not in the 20's, it is higher than that. I was welcomed into a new area, so I won't divulge any more than that.

They went back up as planned, and took a 7&1/2 foot blackie with a near 20" skull. They had a couple other bears coming in, but that's the only one that was brought home. Seems to be quite the population of black bears in this area. No grizzlies were spotted or on the trail camera's, but we know they are out there. Definitely planning to hit this area again next spring. The first bear came in on May 20th, about 10 hours after we set up the bait.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast