Thread: The Gulkana Report-6/4

Default The Gulkana Report-6/4

Ok guys here we go...Any of you who are looking at the lower Gulkana needs to reed this as we have a new issue to deal with this year..

The river is dropped down to reasonable levels and we do not have many sweepers in the river. Easy break-up this year. The water is very cold! My son ran it yesterday from Sailors Pid down and he reports normal water for this early but COLD!! I have no idea as to whats up with Kings but we will see soon. Water clarity is still muddy but it is June 4th.

Ok....This is going to fire up some of you and it should..

The road leading down to the river now has a sizable gate crossed it and it is sporting a hefty padlock. I am not sure who has placed the new gate but that road is not a BLM easement and as far as I know it is controlled by Ahtna so it is my guess that is who installed the new gate. Back in 1997 we saw a similar effort by Ahtna to control or limit access to both the Gulkana and the Kultina so I am not real sure what this means for the average user but you need to be aware it is there. I have sent an email to Athna's land manager and I will let you know what I find out. This could be an interesting summer for public access out this way.

Up River: Paxon Lake is ready to go and as far as I know the outlet is ice free and ready to go.

Walt
    Gulkana Raft Rentals
    http://www.gulkanaraftrental.com
    907-259-4290
    Attached Images Attached Images

The road to Sailors Pit is locked, or the road down to the Richardson Highway bridge parking area?

The road down to the river at Sailors Pit.....Athna is going to make ya pay this year!

Thank you for the updates.

Hmm. Iím pretty sure thatís a 17(b) easement. If so, itís a public access point conveyed under ANCSA and permits travel across Native Corporation lands. Why would there be a one-acre BLM camping and parking area at the top of the hill above the boat launch...albiet surround by Ahtnaís campground...if the public couldnít access it. Iím not a lawyer, but if there is an easement the public canít legally be kept from accessing the river by Ahtna.

Quote Originally Posted by wsh2fsh View Post
    Hmm. Iím pretty sure thatís a 17(b) easement. If so, itís a public access point conveyed under ANCSA and permits travel across Native Corporation lands. Why would there be a one-acre BLM camping and parking area at the top of the hill above the boat launch...albiet surround by Ahtnaís campground...if the public couldnít access it. Iím not a lawyer, but if there is an easement the public canít legally be kept from accessing the river by Ahtna.

Now thats funny! This may become the next Kultina Lake road issue....

Sorry to high jacket the thread Walt but thatís the latest on Klutina road acces fight

I have not heard any updates but as far as I know that was settled in court in the states favor. But.....

Quote Originally Posted by robAK View Post
    Sorry to high jacket the thread Walt but thatís the latest on Klutina road acces fight
    https://www.adn.com/outdoors-adventu...a-lake-access/
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

This was published last fall. It sounds like Ahtna disproved the proposed changes? What a mess.

https://gov.alaska.gov/klutina-gulkana-settlement/